A future for abandoned but important plugins? (1 Viewer)

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    In terms of MPExtended and the apps that depend on in (WebMP, aMPdroid, iViewer, MetroPortal) there's still a usable codebase and MP1 connectivity is all done through plugins. For my own personal amusement I got the source from GitHub and wrote an MP2 plugin + a webpage that can stream music to a Chromecast so there's plenty of future potential there.

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have said it many times but for plugins like latestmediahandler from cul8er i think the relevant plugins should supply skin functions to add latestmedia etc instead of relying on one single plugin.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi :)

From discussing with older member :
    1) It wont help to have the functionality in MP itself, if developer loses interest it will leave the code as abandoned
    2) Having plugins as open source would help

:p

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Hi :)

From discussing with older member :
    1) It wont help to have the functionality in MP itself, if developer loses interest it will leave the code as abandoned
    2) Having plugins as open source would help

:p
    Fully agree. Plugins developers should publish source code to let others continue development

Peter Mee

Portal Member
    August 28, 2013
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    For me the MediaBrowser plugin helps fill some of these gaps:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...for-mediaportal-v0-30-beta-2014-08-20.119513/

The activity on the MediaBrowser site is impressive and having a single plugin for adding my movies, music, tv etc means that these days I only use 2 or 3 plugins in total for MP. I also have found the Web interface and Android clients fantastic and therefore stopped using AMPdroid for media.

Along with this I am only running Online Videos plugin and that's it.

I am sure at some point someone will develop a MP PVR plugin for MediaBrowser (it already supports WMC and Next PVR) and then that will be the complete MP mobile solution that we need.

Except that this plugin itself now appears to be abandoned :rolleyes:

As soon as MediaBrowser gets an ArgusTV plugin, I'll probably move across there altogether. Pity.

blub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 1, 2013
    Giessen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

As soon as MediaBrowser gets an ArgusTV plugin, I'll probably move across there altogether. Pity.
    Yeah indeed.
    That is one of the 2 reasons I am considering kodi right now, the other one is the Control4 driver.

Peter Mee

Portal Member
    August 28, 2013
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland

Yeah indeed.
    That is one of the 2 reasons I am considering kodi right now, the other one is the Control4 driver.

I've tested xbmc/kodi several times over the past 12 months and found the TV playback image quality significantly inferior to mediaportal on the same hardware and using the same argustv backend. Ymmv.

(plus the mp argustv plugin provides access to a lot of the scheduling functionality such as series record that's missing from the kodi implementation).

Peter

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    the TV playback image quality significantly inferior
    This is not only for TV playback, it's for all video playback in general. If you want to improve this you need to try the (really buggy) DirectShow Builds or, more stable, change OS to Linux (only possible to a client only installation, as TV server and Argus too needs Windows). On Linux the XBMC/Kodi PQ is lot better than on Windows. This was a fact since ever I tried XBMC and is still valid with recent Kodi builds.

Peter Mee

Portal Member
    August 28, 2013
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Hi.
    the TV playback image quality significantly inferior
    This is not only for TV playback, it's for all video playback in general. If you want to improve this you need to try the (really buggy) DirectShow Builds or, more stable, change OS to Linux (only possible to a client only installation, as TV server and Argus too needs Windows). On Linux the XBMC/Kodi PQ is lot better than on Windows. This was a fact since ever I tried XBMC and is still valid with recent Kodi builds.

I had dabbled with the DirectShow build but gave up as a bad job. Good to know on Linux though, might give that a whirl, though the inability to set series record in the Kodi/ArgusTV implementation is the stumbling block for me.

(apologies for taking this thread far off topic)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom