About channel tuning details (1 Viewer)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I find that some of my channels have the wrong FEC Rate and Modulation and yet I can still tune on them.
    Why is that? Do I need to bother fixing them?
    What about Pilot and Roll-off? Can I find those on king of Sat?
    Can I not edit the name of a tuningdetail entry?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I find that some of my channels have the wrong FEC Rate and Modulation and yet I can still tune on them.
    Please give an example.

What about Pilot and Roll-off? Can I find those on king of Sat?
    No, you can't find them on king of sat.
    Modern satellite demodulators can figure out pilot tone state and roll-off factor automatically. Only some tuners with older chips (eg. Hauppauge HVR-3000, HVR-4000, NOVA HD S2) require these parameters to be set.

Can I not edit the name of a tuningdetail entry?
    No. That name is not displayed anywhere except the channel edit dialog.

Do I need to use 8 PSK2 instead of 8 PSK if the channel is DVB-S2?
    Absolutely do not do that.
    That list of modulation values has been extended over time by MS. When DVB-S2 first came out (XP, XP MCE), the DVB-S2 values had not been defined. Therefore tuner vendors who wanted to release DVB-S2 products had to use vendor-specific behaviours. For example, if you want to tell a TechnoTrend tuner that you're tuning DVB-S2 then you must pass modulation 8 VSB (which is actually the modulation for US/Canada terrestrial television!!!). Each vendor made different choices... and the behaviour can be different depending on whether the OS is XP, Vista, or 7+.

To resolve this problem, TV Server does a translation from these values:

Not set = DVB-S QPSK
    QPSK = DVB-S2 QPSK
    8 PSK = DVB-S2 8 PSK

...to the required vendor-specific values.
    If I had my way (and I will with TVE 3.5), the other choices won't be in the list.

P.S. Where is this discussion coming from? Can't you just trust that if tuning works then the values are okay?

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've had to edit quite a few channels from king of sat cause some were not working, some were working but I was not getting EPG for them (did I dream that up? Is that possible somehow?)
    After edit they are working fine and some previously missing EPG is now showing up.

So after a while copying numbers in text fields I'm asking myself questions about those numbers :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I've had to edit quite a few channels from king of sat cause some were not working...
    Examples please. :)
    ...and is this the result after a new installation, or did the channels just stop working after some time?
    If you scanned, did you click "update satellite list" before scanning? ...and did you tick "enable channel movement detection"?

...some were working but I was not getting EPG for them (did I dream that up? Is that possible somehow?)
    Depends how you get your EPG, and how the EPG source is configured. Without details (logs, channel names, details of EPG grabber configuration etc.) everything is speculation.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    ...and is this the result after a new installation, or did the channels just stop working after some time?

At least one was broken so against my better judgement I did a scan hoping it would fix it.
    It didn't but it broke other channels.

If you scanned, did you click "update satellite list" before scanning? ...and did you tick "enable channel movement detection"?

No and no. Is that a wrong answer?
    It was a 19.2 E Astra scan.
    No logs.

Sorry for the imprecision of my reports. I'm not really trying to get it fixed just sharing my experience I guess. I was never really happy with the results from my scans and most of my channels were imported from XML published by a friendly user. Though quite a few of them I have edited manually since.

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Not sure if it would be relevant but maybe just for info i noticed i had some channels stop working a few weeks ago and upon checking noticed the frequencies were wrong and i had used update satellite list but was still the same. Anyway what i found was mp was downloading the list but not overwriting the current one it just added another xml file in the directory which i assume was not being read ? I deleted the xml lists manually from the directory then ran the update list again which then populated one xml file back for the satellite i use and channels scan then picked up the correct values.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    At least one was broken...
    With the greatest respect, this doesn't really answer my question. :)
    I was trying to understand how the channels were broken... but it's okay if you don't have an answer.

...so against my better judgement I did a scan hoping it would fix it.
    It didn't but it broke other channels.
    Sorry to hear that.

No and no. Is that a wrong answer?
    Yes.
    I recommend to always update the transponder list before doing a satellite scan. If you don't, you risk missing channels... or updating existing channels with incorrect details.
    Choice to enable channel movement detection is personal. I probably would not recommend enabling it for a satellite scan.

It was a 19.2 E Astra scan.
    No logs.

Sorry for the imprecision of my reports. I'm not really trying to get it fixed just sharing my experience I guess.
    It's fine... though of course I can't do anything with such a report.

I was never really happy with the results from my scans and most of my channels were imported from XML published by a friendly user. Though quite a few of them I have edited manually since.
    FWIW, I don't recommend this. IMHO most people don't understand the importance of using the correct values for parameters (eg. modulation, pilot tones, roll-off factor, frequency offset)... especially for multi-tuner configurations. It can be faster or more convenient than scanning... but it can also cause more headaches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom