After Standby no audio control (1 Viewer)

andy_328

Portal Pro
November 19, 2014
Home Country
Austria Austria
Hello,

I got a strange issue on MP1.9.6. When I wake up MP over WOL, sometime I can't control the volume anymore, and I need to restart MP again. After WOL Windows put out any alarm, same as I plug in some USB device.

I am sure there is something wrong with windows, or power option.

Hope someone can help me with this issue. Thanks.

I am using Windows Ultimate 64 bit, with MP 1.9.6

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    When I wake up MP over WOL, sometime I can't control the volume anymore, and I need to restart MP again. After WOL Windows put out any alarm, same as I plug in some USB device.
    Are you using a remote control with an IR receiver plugged in via USB? There is a long-standing problem with some IR receivers which do not handle standby correctly, and become in-operative after wake from sleep or wake from hibernation. When I get this problem, I get a "bing bong" (or is it "bong bing"?) from Windows indicating that a device has become in-operative.

I had this problem intermittently for 5 years with Windows Media Center, and the problem has continued with MediaPortal. In my case, the solution is to unplug the IR receiver, wait 30 seconds, and then plug it in again. This allows Windows to re-detect the IR receiver and it becomes operative again.

You say that you need to restart MP to get sound to work. Do you mean that you reboot? This would also reset the IR receiver to allow it to start working again. If you merely exit MP and then restart MP (without rebooting), your problem is probably different to mine.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

andy_328

Portal Pro
    November 19, 2014
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi.
    I am using an IR over the PCI-ex card. Means, that the recevier is pluged inside the PCI card. So it's actually not a Plug and Play device. But why do I get this bing bong sound from windows after wake up the pc? I actually reboot only MP over the menu inside. I dont reboot the whole PC.

thanks

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I am using an IR over the PCI-express card. Means, that the receiver is plugged inside the PCI card. So it's actually not a Plug and Play device. But why do I get this bing bong sound from windows after wake up the pc?
    OK; I remember now that you have TBS tuner card. I also have a TBS tuner card, but I have never used the IR receiver that was supplied with the tuner card, so I don't know how Windows handles it. Your problem may not be related in any way to the IR receiver, so I would suggest that you continue to look at all possibilities.

If you get a bing-bong, there may be an entry in one of the Windows event logs telling you which device caused the bing-bong. Wait for the next bing-bong and then immediately look at the "Windows System Event Log"; the most recent entries are first, so the entry for the bing-bong device should be near the top of the list. To see the logs:

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > expand "Windows Logs" > System

andy_328

Portal Pro
    November 19, 2014
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi, ok thats a good idea, I will try to reproduce this issue, and post it here then..

thanks

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I will try to reproduce this issue, and post it here then
    Now that I think about this some more, I remember that you get a bing-bong when the TV is switched on or off with the HTPC running. It happens with HDMI or DVI connections when the HDCP link is established or broken. HDCP relates to copyright control and DRM ("Digital Rights Management"). So the bing-bong may be caused by the screen, and hence not be important. But the entry in the event log file should indicate whether it relates to the screen or something else.

If your screen is connected via VGA, you won't get a bing-bong.

andy_328

Portal Pro
    November 19, 2014
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hello, just tried several times, I get always a bing-bong, but the event logs doesnt say anything which is unloaded or failed, I should also mention that I am using ultravnc if I make some settings. Or even RDP. Do you think rdp or vnc coud be the bad one?

I really try to reproduce this issue, but no success at all. Maybe the PC has to be on standby for a day or longer...

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I get always a bing-bong, but the event logs doesnt say anything which is unloaded or failed
    Unfortunately we have reached the limit of my knowledge. :(

Hopefully someone else will read this thread and offer some suggestions. Sorry I can't be of more help.

andy_328

Portal Pro
    November 19, 2014
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Never mind, yes lets see if someone else drop in at this post..)
    By the way CyberSimian, maybe it has something to do with it. When I watch a movie with the nativ movie plugin, sometime the taskbar of windows appears, without any ballon tips or event. Have you ever heard about this issue? Mabe it has someting in common with this problem?

thnaks

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    When I watch a movie with the nativ movie plugin, sometime the taskbar of windows appears, without any ballon tips or event. Have you ever heard about this issue? Mabe it has someting in common with this problem?
    It is possible. If the taskbar appears, it suggests that some sort of status change has occurred in Windows, but I don't know what. I just tried moving the mouse around with a recording playing fullscreen, but the taskbar did not appear. So it is not that simple!

The taskbar appearing over fullscreen video is not something that I have encountered on my HTPC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom