[Skin] Allow Overlays in Sliding Menus (i.e.Facade not in focus) (1 Viewer)

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    At present, if <allowoverlay> is set to yes then overlays are disabled when a menu panel is accessed i.e. facade is not in focus.

I do not know if there is a good reason for this, but I doubt it since you can define overlays that work perfectly even when the facade is not in focus.

Many skins are now using sliding panels more often. Skins seem to be developing their own overlays more often and turning off allowoverlay, and I would guess this is mainly because of this limitation. A lot of time could be saved by enabling overlays when the facade is not in focus.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Ran into this issue as well.

With non-overlay media-playing boxes you also have the issue of text write-thru, where the graphic elements of the box (if you have them) are overlayed with the underlying text, so you can only place them where you do not have text, or you make the text non-visible when the box is displayed. I did manage to attach my own media-playing boxes (overlays) within the hidden menu actiongroup, so the write-thru issue was resolved, but because video preview windows are not affected by animations like fade or slide, or scale, they just 'pop' in and out no matter what at their end position (before the other graphic elements get there). With sliding menus with media-playing boxes attached you have to time the slide with how quickly the video-preview appears/disappears.

I do think some refinement here is needed.

Chuck

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Chuck, if you display your non-overlay media-playing box AFTER the text, then the overlay will cover the text. So if you are importing media overlays, make sure they are at the end of the file so they display on top of any text.

If you allow overlays, then anything in MusicOverlay.xml or VideoOverlay.xml will display on top. But you still have to watch the order of the controls within those xmls. Whatever comes after displays on top.

Also, if you allow overlays, then any controls in videooverlaytop.xml will display on top of the VideoWindow. However, videooverlaytop is only active when allowoverlay is on. This is the only way I have found to display anything on top of the videowindow.

I have the opposite problem. I want to display the currentplaytime on top of the videowindow, but I can't unless I allow overlay and then I can't see the overlays when the facade is not in focus. ARGH!

I agree it is very limiting that you cannot use any controls or condtions on the videowindow. But that may be a technical limitation beyond MP's control.

One problem with displaying overlays in the actionmenu group is that any scrolling data will restart each time you switch between the menu and the facade, if you are allowing overlay in the facade that is. Not a big deal, but a minor annoyance. I don't think you use scrolling text on your overlays, but with the larger fonts in aMPed I have to.

Did you actually get a videowindow to display on the actionmenu with alllowoverlay on? If so, please tell me how!

Also, have you managed to get overlays to display correctly for streaming audio, like in My Radio and Radiotime?

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Chuck, if you display your non-overlay media-playing box AFTER the text, then the overlay will cover the text. So if you are importing media overlays, make sure they are at the end of the file so they display on top of any text.

If you allow overlays, then anything in MusicOverlay.xml or VideoOverlay.xml will display on top. But you still have to watch the order of the controls within those xmls. Whatever comes after displays on top.

I may be wrong, but I got the impression that text will always print on top of textures (graphic elements) regardless of the placement in the xml, unless using an overlay such as music/video overlay or dialogs that use special layers in the display, where the texture is able to hide the text in the layer below (but not in the same layer even if the text comes first in the xml).

Also, if you allow overlays, then any controls in videooverlaytop.xml will display on top of the VideoWindow. However, videooverlaytop is only active when allowoverlay is on. This is the only way I have found to display anything on top of the videowindow.

Video Window and video preview (video logo in Blue3) use the type videowindow. Which takes priority over any text or textures on the same layer (and also the media overlays) and will display on top. only when you use the OSDs and videooverlaytop that you can print on top (they use a special layer for display)

I have the opposite problem. I want to display the currentplaytime on top of the videowindow, but I can't unless I allow overlay and then I can't see the overlays when the facade is not in focus. ARGH!

I agree it is very limiting that you cannot use any controls or condtions on the videowindow. But that may be a technical limitation beyond MP's control.

I would think that animating slide and scale for the video window and video preview would be do-able, as those are similar to the posx/posY and height/width controls already used... just need some creative programming to pull off.

One problem with displaying overlays in the actionmenu group is that any scrolling data will restart each time you switch between the menu and the facade, if you are allowing overlay in the facade that is. Not a big deal, but a minor annoyance. I don't think you use scrolling text on your overlays, but with the larger fonts in aMPed I have to.

Yup, I noticed that too.

Did you actually get a videowindow to display on the actionmenu with alllowoverlay on? If so, please tell me how!

No, allowoverlay is off in those instances... the audio/video overlay code is duplicated in the actionmenu structure (with added animations to match the sliding window) - but the video preview just pops in and out when it becomes visible/invisible.

Also, have you managed to get overlays to display correctly for streaming audio, like in My Radio and Radiotime?

I haven't gotten that far... yet .... I don't use MyRadio or Radiotime.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I may be wrong, but I got the impression that text will always print on top of textures (graphic elements) regardless of the placement in the xml, unless using an overlay such as music/video overlay or dialogs that use special layers in the display, where the texture is able to hide the text in the layer below (but not in the same layer even if the text comes first in the xml).

Yes, you're right, my mistake. All your 'impressions' are correct! Thanks for clarifying that.

Video Window and video preview (video logo in Blue3) use the type videowindow. Which takes priority over any text or textures on the same layer (and also the media overlays) and will display on top. only when you use the OSDs and videooverlaytop that you can print on top (they use a special layer for display)

Yup, and I cannot find a way to use that special layer for my own purposes! I think it is hard coded to specific window ids.

I would think that animating slide and scale for the video window and video preview would be do-able, as those are similar to the posx/posY and height/width controls already used... just need some creative programming to pull off.

Good for you, getting back on topic when I was wandering off! Yeah, and I'm sure not the creative programmer! I can barely manage the skinning!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom