Audio while FFWD recorded TV. (1 Viewer)

Sammy Bogaert

Portal Member
January 1, 2013
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
In Windows Media Center, you have sound while playing recorded TV with double speed (2x FFWD).

The keytone of the sound doesn't change which still makes it easy to understand.

Would be nice to have an option for this feature!

Thanks!

StoneMonkeyMark

January 7, 2013
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Actually this is 1.4x (not 2x) as the compressed and pitch-corrected audio only works at this speed.
It is a very useful featre, but one of those features that you only know the importance of after you have been using it a while.
Great for catching up on a back log of recordings. I am desperate for this to work in MP4 as well as wtv formats.
MarkB

Sammy Bogaert

Portal Member
January 1, 2013
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
I have patience, but my wife hasn't :)

Indeed, it might be 1.4, didn't really notice that... but indeed very usefull to catch up on things!

StoneMonkeyMark

January 7, 2013
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Owlsroost,
I take you point to heart as I have a friend that makes me sit in the cinema till all the credits have finished rolling. And we could say the broadcasters intend us to watch ads as well!

But the real point here is that there is a percentage of the user base that think this is useful. It would be nice to support them as well.

I do have a hard and fast use case for you...

Live TV that you have get to 30 mins late, no problem as you have a PVR (grin), so you start at the beginning, but when you want to do a phone vote where the phone lines are only open for 30 mins you need to catch up, but still watch the show. This happens in our house when my wife and daughter watch Strictly and they find this very useful. And yes they only use it on the non-dancing parts.

Some other points on its use you may find interesting. It does not work for human emotional scenes, you lose the content, but action scene are fine. Really fast action you have to go back to normal as well. So its use may be counter intuitive if you have not actually tried it.

To be honest this is one of only a few things now holding me back from the WMC->MP move.
1. Smooth fast forward on the remote client. Still debugging.
2. 1.4 times fast forward. Not sure how to get WAF on this one.
3 Channel switching time on the remote client. Still debugging.

I would then have a few things on my wish list, but that is another story.

Thanks for listening.

MarkB

Andrew Warren

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 9, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I too have just made the shift from Media Center and this is one of the two features I am sorely missing. I use the 1.4x playback daily to watch the daily news - I can get the same content in half the time (accounting for skipping the boring sport reports) without missing any meaning.

I'd REALLY love to see this included! Please!!

Andrew Warren

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 9, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    FWIW, VideoLAN's WinVLC offers audio with playback at any speed (with fine incremental speed control available). It works brilliantly.
    WinVLC is also open source software; I have no idea whether the languages your two products use are compatible but it could be worth a look to see if you could license code from them to provide this functionality without having to reinvent the wheel.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi :)
    MPAR could be modified to support audio playback rates that are non 1.0x and it could keep the sound pitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom