Automated Artist / Album Scraping (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Now in MPEI
    Please install via MPEI installer, MPEI plugin or direct from here
    ============================================================
    This has moved on a bit now so this includes downloading of
    • Artist Thumbs
    • Album Thumbs
    • CD Art
    • Artist Clear Logo
    • Artist Bio - choice of allmusic.com or theaudiodb.com (including multi-language on the audiodb.com)
    • Album reviews - choice of allmusic.com or theaudiodb.com (including multi-language on the audiodb.com)
    This still need fanart handler to make the images appear inside MP and will not overwrite existing fanart (so you might want to remove existing fanart)
    ============================================================
    This is a very very rough attempt at scraping artist and album info automatically.

I can not stress enough that this is a very early version of some code so has many many issues.

basically place the attached file in

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\plugins\process
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\plugins\process

depending on whether you are running 32 or 64 bit.

Then when you open MP (this is currently the only time scraping is triggered) it will go off and start looking for info.

This is designed for 1.2 RC (I don't think it will work with 1.2 beta).

I am looking for some feedback on what success rates people get. Any areas that are obviously missing?

Currently it will only scrape main albums so no compilations, EPs, singles etc. It also appears to have an issue with some special characters. Some times it is simply a case of allmusic.com not having the right data to be able to make a decision. Eg. if you search for something like Michael Jackson you actually get a surprising number of hits hence the automated scraped is unable to figure out which one to choose.

I plan to update this during the life of 1.2 so that people have working systems but I am looking to implement something much better in 1.3 :)

Please let me have feedback

Last edited:

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sounds cool, will check it out later today. Will it download thumbs or "just" the allmusic.com description of album / artist?

1stdead

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    What's the difference from fanarthandler? Only fanarts?

Anyways if there is any difference, why not combine them :)?

ysmp

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 17, 2008
    Seoul.
    Home Country
    South Korea South Korea
    What's the difference from fanarthandler? Only fanarts?

Anyways if there is any difference, why not combine them :)?

Hi 1stdead !
    FH plugin scrap artist fanart and artist Thumbnail only , this Automated scraping is for info abut the artis / album to save and view in the skin ,this option alrady in mp but the way it's work now have to scrap 1 by 1 , wich for a big music collection rally pain ..:) many of us ask for option to to it Auto .. and this what jameson_uk doing ....

i ask for this in fanart handler long time ago ... but as i know cul8er he worry abut mamory problams with fanart handler ,so he verry carfull abut new add-on for FH plugin ,and noting bin down abut it ...

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Does this have the power to overwrite null values? When you've used the MediaPortal built in info tool (Album/Artist info) and it has come up with a blank you can't erase, it would be very nice if this would just disregard it. I've downloaded it and will try it ASAP.

Emph

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OK, have installed it and after a short wait I pressed info on a track (which was not (yet) scraped by your plugin). The result was a hanged MP. Will the plugin generate logs? I have not seen it in my quick log scan.

As my Music DB is >1000 Artists large I am not sure on which album I can get the info while the process runs. I will restart MP and let it run for a while.

ysmp

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 17, 2008
    Seoul.
    Home Country
    South Korea South Korea
    hi , i for one did got error ... :)

Pog

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 7, 2009
    Wicklow
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    So happy the music section of MP is getting some love! Bring it on!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom