Automatically delete unwanted channels? (1 Viewer)

osre

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The easiest way may well be a comma-separated list of provider names (eg. "Sky, BSkyB")
    How about an plain text file "blacklist.txt", which contains one banned provider or channel name per line?
    The file could be opened by a simple button in TVSetup.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    How about an plain text file "blacklist.txt", which contains one banned provider or channel name per line?
    With TVE 3.5, TV Server configuration can run on any PC. Managing a file (keeping it up-to-date and consistent) on all PCs could be frustrating. Further, scanning may be implemented via other interfaces/applications. So in my opinion a file would be inadequate, and something tied to the DB would be a "must".

The Doctor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    High mm135200, well you asked me to expand the detail. So I did.

It's good to see there are improvements in TVE3.5. I understand Mediaportal can not be held responsible for the data inside the transponder lists. I will copy them the issues I am facing with the tuning details.

Keep up the good work. The Wiki is in most cases more than sufficient enough to help you out with problems. But it can always be better.

Last edited:

SpannerBracket

Portal Member
    April 24, 2011
    I'm another user in the channel deleting camp. I do it so that I can see clearly what I've got, I don't care about performance or disk space. I have a single TV card but it has 2 x DVB-T2 and 2 x DVB-S2 tuners on it. I also get hugely frustrated that both the T2s and both the S2s appear as exactly the same name.

I have about 30 channels configured. When I do a full scan there are more than 500 channels. Also naming here in the UK is pretty poor, for example "Channel 4" appears about 10 times in a satellite scan, and only one of them is correct for my region. This is when the multiple menus stuff gets in the way, as I have to manually check each channel's details to see if its the one listed against a 3rd party website as being for my region.

The huge list also becomes a problem when trying to merge TV channels between multiple tuners. This is fine over a single medium as they share a common name. But mapping various channels that are the same between a T2 and S2 but have different names, is a very time consuming process in the current UI.

I've actually honed the process now because the UI is so unusable when you get to this number of channels. I have a text file with the transponders and frequencies for the 30 channels that I actually care about. I manually add these in, and then delete any excess channels that I'm not interested in. This is far quicker than scrolling through a list of over 500 channels to mark the 30 I want.

I can then map my 30 channels to 30 logical numbers and all is good.

But yeah, the UI does make working with this stuff difficult - but to be fair its at least on a par if not better than any of the other TV server channel management programs I've used.

What would actually be really cool, though probably pie in the sky as I can't see any incentive for anyone to maintain it, would be an online database containing Country, Medium, Channel Names, Channel Logos, Transponder/Frequencies etc... I could then just tell Media Portal the channels I'm interested in, and it can sort out everything else and it could re-tune automatically when anything ever changed.

I haven't gone through the re-tuning process for a while so am rusty on specifics. I could probably post more constructive feedback if I did it again, if it would be useful for anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom