Browse The Web / Webbrowser (7 Viewers)

tony72

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi guys, I need your opinion on something.

1: It always bothered me that when using "use mouse to browse" the keybindings (f.e. for zoomin/zoomout, show status bar etc) are hardcoded instead of configurable through browsetheweb config/mediaportal config/keys and sounds.[...]
    I can't really comment on this, I never use the "use mouse to browse mode".

2: regarding flash videos (when not using "mouse to browse")
    Now the number is placed above the video, and, consequently, the video is pushed a little downwards. The thing with that is, that you hardly see the bottom part (including buttons for full screen/ad skipping etc). I have changed it a bit, so that the video isn't pushed down anymore, and the number is semitransparantly placed in the top left corner of the video. Should I keep it this way? (see old.png and new.png)
    Yes (y). I have noticed that issue with a few sites, although I usually managed to find one or two visible pixels of the controls to click on, but IMHO the new version is a big improvement, functionally and aesthetically.

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    New version is out!
    Changes:
    • Added option for previous and next pages
      • Here you can fill tags like "Next" ">>" etc.
      • You can then select the next page with the NextChapter and PrevChapter keys, so you don't have to type the numbers for those pages anymore
    • Improved bookmark handling
    • Improved number-placing
    • Improved keybindings
    • Fixed missing thumbs
    • Fixed spurious duplicate link numbers
    • Fixed focus issues with flash player

tony72

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    Looking forward to trying this out, thanks! I'm not sure I understand how the previous and next page is supposed to work, but I guess it will make sense once I play with it, souns interesting anyway.

tony72

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    @doskabouter, thanks for the latest update, I've just been playing with the new version. The improved number placing is cool, and the improvements with flash seem to have fixed some problems I used to have (like once I started a flash video playing, I wouldn't be able to do anything else).

However I have a couple of issues/questions;

1. Bookmarks - when I create a bookmark inside MePo by pressing record, it seems to work, I can press show bookmarks, and the thumb is there, and it works. But once I exit MePo and restart it, or go into the browsetheweb plugin config, the bookmark has disappeared. Bookmarks created in the plugin config or imported from another browser don't disappear.

2. The new next/previous page feature - I can't get this to work. Can you maybe give an example of a page where this works, and what "tags" to use to make that particular page work. Also the keys; you said this uses NextChapter and PrevChapter keys - as far as I can tell, by default that is F7 and F8, which are already used for back and forward, so I'm confused as to which keys I should be trying to use for this? Probably I'm just being stupid, but I can't figure this out :confused:.

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just a quick answer (indepth analysis of the bookmarks will follow shortly):
    F7/F8 is previous item/next item. This isn't the same as PrevChapter/NextChapter!
    I have solved it for me by modifying the keymapping like this:

<window>
    <id>54537689</id>
    <description>BrowseTheWeb</description>
    <action>
    <id>92</id>
    <key>C</key>
    <sound>click.wav</sound>
    <description>Back</description>
    </action>
    <action>
    <id>91</id>
    <key>D</key>
    <sound>click.wav</sound>
    <description>Forward</description>
    </action>
    </window>
    And have the some buttons on my remote bound to the C and D key

Only drawback of this is that the keymap.xml is overwritten on MP update, so you'd best keep a copy of it as a backup

If you fill "Prev" and "Next" (without quotes) in the appropriate fields, you can then go to the next or previous page in long threads f.e. on this forum https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/why-everything-else-is-just-a-media-center.98643/ by pressing the "C" or the "D" key

Edit: Hm, serves me right for bragging about functionality without testing. The example url I provided does not work, I'll have to dig into that. But (Just tested myself) the xkcd website does work with "prev" and "next" put in the config. There seems to be some issues with it in combination with iframes. So on some pages it'll work, and on some it won't...

Last edited:

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    1. Bookmarks - when I create a bookmark inside MePo by pressing record, it seems to work, I can press show bookmarks, and the thumb is there, and it works. But once I exit MePo and restart it, or go into the browsetheweb plugin config, the bookmark has disappeared. Bookmarks created in the plugin config or imported from another browser don't disappear,,,

Congrats! You've found a bug!

tony72

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    Just a quick answer (indepth analysis of the bookmarks will follow shortly):
    F7/F8 is previous item/next item. This isn't the same as PrevChapter/NextChapter!
    I have solved it for me by modifying the keymapping like this:

<window>
    <id>54537689</id>
    <description>BrowseTheWeb</description>
    <action>
    <id>92</id>
    <key>C</key>
    <sound>click.wav</sound>
    <description>Back</description>
    </action>
    <action>
    <id>91</id>
    <key>D</key>
    <sound>click.wav</sound>
    <description>Forward</description>
    </action>
    </window>
    And have the some buttons on my remote bound to the C and D key

Only drawback of this is that the keymap.xml is overwritten on MP update, so you'd best keep a copy of it as a backup

If you fill "Prev" and "Next" (without quotes) in the appropriate fields, you can then go to the next or previous page in long threads f.e. on this forum https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/why-everything-else-is-just-a-media-center.98643/ by pressing the "C" or the "D" key
    Ah okay, now I understand. I looked in the default keymap, and the only next chapter/prev chapter I saw was F7/F8 forr the dvd module, so I thought that's what you meant. I should have looked in the list of actions instead. Thanks for clarifying.

Edit: Hm, serves me right for bragging about functionality without testing. The example url I provided does not work, I'll have to dig into that. But (Just tested myself) the xkcd website does work with "prev" and "next" put in the config. There seems to be some issues with it in combination with iframes. So on some pages it'll work, and on some it won't...
    I was trying to test on these forums too, so I'm glad you mentioned that, or I would be scratching my head still!

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I was trying to test on these forums too, so I'm glad you mentioned that, or I would be scratching my head still!
    Good thing indeed. Wouldn't want to be responsible for any hair-loss at your side :)

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Fixed both your bugs.
    I think I'll wait a bit before doing a bugfix-release, seeing if other bugs might emerge.

Must say though, putting the installer on a page with a download counter on it is a real eye-opener. I couldn't imagine in a 1000 years that so many of you use this plugin. Current count is 3633, which (even guessing 4 or 5 pc's per person) is still a lot of people. Makes me feel quite overwhelmed...

Still can't believe it, and suspecting some other cause for the high downloadcount... :cautious:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom