Can I have two MP1 clients on same computer? (2 Viewers)

andcar

Portal Member
September 5, 2013
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I have a HTPC with both server and client. I have used MP1 (1.10) for several years with Argus scheduler, but MP as client and server to set up cards. But now since there are no support for Argus anymore I am going to 100 % MP.

- Could I have two MP1 clients on the same computer, one with the old Argus plugin only to see old recordings and a new one to record new programs and watch live tv.

- Or would the easiest way be to install MP2 and set that up as the recording program and only use MP1 to watch old recordings. Would that work?

- Otherwise the easiest would be if there was a way to convert Argus THMB-info to MediaPortal XML-info but have not found a way to do that.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Could I have two MP1 clients on the same computer,
    Short answer, no.

Would that work?
    Not sure as I never used Argus myself.

Can you provide one or two samples of those Argus Tv .nfo files? Maybe they also can be added to MP2 like wtv and dvr-ms nfo from WMC, that are handled the same as "native" MP2 recordings already...

andcar

Portal Member
    September 5, 2013
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    But can I install MP2 on a computer with MP1 and they are working as two separate programs, regardless of Argus plugin?

I have attached three samples of THMB files. The recoring is in .ts but the info in .thmb Thanks!

Attachments

• Argus THMB files.zip
      151.1 KB

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    But can I install MP2 on a computer with MP1 and they are working as two separate programs,
    Yes, excerpt for the TV Server. There only can be one and this has to be the MP2 one if you want to use Argus in the MP1 installation.

regardless of Argus plugin?
    I don't know if the Argus Client Plugin is working without Argus TV Server / Scheduler, as I never used Argus myself.

I have attached three samples
    Thanks.
    Those thmb are simple jpg pictures (thumbnails). The metadata is most likely saved somewhere else. You can try this yourself, simply rename the .thmb to .jpg and you can open it in any picture viewer. But you can not convert those "thumbs" to a xml file that MP can understand...

andcar

Portal Member
    September 5, 2013
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I am using the MP TV server with a Argus plugin. Can I have a MP1 TV server and install MP2 as an other TV server. I guess from your answers: not.

You are right that it is thumbnails, i did forgot that. The info about the recordings are probably stored in the SQL database that is installed with Argus, then it is hard to get that info. But could the .ts files be "imported" as recordings in MP with name and date? Or do I have to handle them as other type of video files?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I guess from your answers: not.
    Your guess is right. You can not have two TV servers on the same machine. Both would be fighting for the tuner cards with the result that none is working any more...

could the .ts files be "imported" as recordings in MP with name and date? Or do I have to handle them as other type of video files?
    In MP it is needed to have a xml file next to the .ts so it can be recognized as "Recording". If you don't have those they won't show up in "Recordings". But your .ts are for sure playable in MP2. You can import them into the media library as "Video" and if MP2 is able to identify the .ts as movie or series episode (depends on the file names) it will download metadata and fanart for them and place them in the movies or series section...

In General, what do you want to do with those "old" recordings? Watch and after that delete them or keep them in your library? If you want to keep them it would be wise to process them. TV recordings are huge and there is a lot of unneeded stuff like commercials and pre/post recording material. There are tools out there to cut the recordings and/or transcode them, put them into a more suitable container like MKV and do other fancy things with... One of those tools you can find in my signature.

styrsven

Portal Pro
    January 6, 2013
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I have a HTPC with both server and client. I have used MP1 (1.10) for several years with Argus scheduler, but MP as client and server to set up cards. But now since there are no support for Argus anymore I am going to 100 % MP.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean with "no support"? It is true that it seems like Argus development seems to have stopped, but I can use Argus 2.3 with MP 1.14 in a configuration with MP server and client, and Argus scheduler.

andcar

Portal Member
    September 5, 2013
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean with "no support"? It is true that it seems like Argus development seems to have stopped, but I can use Argus 2.3 with MP 1.14 in a configuration with MP server and client, and Argus scheduler.
    I have added a TBS 6920 card and i cannot get it to work with ARGUS as the shedueler it says "unkonwn error" when I switch to that card. But when I try the card in MP server config it works fine. No one to help, no activity in ARGUS forum. No reply at all. That is what I call no support.[DOUBLEPOST=1464943233][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Can you provide one or two samples of those Argus Tv .nfo files? Maybe they also can be added to MP2 like wtv and dvr-ms nfo from WMC, that are handled the same as "native" MP2 recordings already...

I have found a way to export recordings from ARGUS, then an .arg file are created with program info. See attachement.
    Would that be possible to import into MP?

Attachments

• Morden i Midsomer (1.4)_TV8_2016-04-23_12-35.zip
      1.2 KB
    Last edited:

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Unfortunately I guess you're right about the status of Argus...
    Nonetheless the solution with MP TVServer with Argus server plugin, MP1 Client with Argus Client plugin and MP2 Client should work as far as I can imagine. I'd just try it. Not a big deal to install MP2 and let it access the server as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom