CD folder name (1 Viewer)

matejdro

Portal Pro
May 28, 2010
Home Country
Slovenia Slovenia
So I have decided to index my movie collection for fast searching. But here is one problem: In my collection, CDs themselves are not numbered, but CD folders are named.

I want to add information, in which folder is movie stored, so i can find it easier. But i cannot find a way to display this in My Films.

I have been experimenting with Location field in Movie Collector Pro, but it seems that it does not get transferred over to My Films.

Any suggestions?

z3us

Portal Pro
December 4, 2007
Home Country
Spain Spain
In amcupdater go to options tab and check the "try to read the DVD label" option. The name of the dvd will be written in the Media Label field.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9000 usando Tapatalk

z3us

Portal Pro
December 4, 2007
Home Country
Spain Spain
Honestly, I don't understand what u want
In the source field is stored the path of the video files, it doesn't matter if they are in HD or external units. AMCu fills it automatically.

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    AW: CD folder name

So I have decided to index my movie collection for fast searching. But here is one problem: In my collection, CDs themselves are not numbered, but CD folders are named.

I want to add information, in which folder is movie stored, so i can find it easier. But i cannot find a way to display this in My Films.

I have been experimenting with Location field in Movie Collector Pro, but it seems that it does not get transferred over to My Films.

Any suggestions?
    Hi matejdro,
    can you first describe the way you use MyFilms?
    Are you using Movie Collector for movie management? If yes, please post your exported XML file and your MyFilms config file.
    I am not sure, what you mean by "folder" - but is there is such a flied exported, it could be added to the import filter e.g. as grouping - is that what you're looking for?

matejdro

Portal Pro
    May 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    I want to use MyFilms as a tool to help me find movies more quickly.

I have bunch of these:
    dvd-folder-clear-l.jpg

Each one is marked with its own letter. When i select a movie in MyFilms, i want it to show me in which folder (is that on picture even called a folder?) the CD is.

z3us

Portal Pro
    December 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    In myfilms config go to tab general. In "ant identification item" you can define which field you want to store the info of the folder. Fill it with ant movie catalog.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi matejdro:

I do exactly what z3us recommends for all my CDs/DVDs/BRDs. I have many binders for my discs and I use a catalog system:
    e.g. CD1-001 which means it is the first CD Binder and the first 'sleeve' or 'envelope' (no those are not usually called 'folders' in English ;)).

Then:
    1. in my Ant Movie Catalog DB I enter 'CD1-001' (or the correct catalog #) in the Media Label field for each film (you can use whatever field you wish though)
    2. in My Films setup on the General Tab at the bottom I select Media Label as the Ant Identification Item
    3. I add a 'label' I want to display in My Films when I try to play the film on that CD (e.g. 'Cat ID' or 'Index #', whatever you like)
    Then when I try to play a film in My Films that is on CD/DVD/BR, My Films will tell me where I stored it. :)

I also usually create a custom view by Media Label so I can see an index of all films in my binders. However in My Films 5 I find I hardly need that anymore because I can search for a film so easily and look up my catalog number or even search by properties using media label and find all the films on that disc.

Of course, you could create a custom sort order instead so you can just sort your films by Index/Catalog number.

If your index number is very important to you, then you can make it a User Defined Display Item on the Views/Filters tab in My Films Setup. You can even change the display items within My Films on the Options Menu > Display Settings. Display Items 1+2 usually display on the main window in most skins, so that way you can always see your index numbers for each film without going to the Details Window. All user display items usually display in the Details window normally in the Overview view.

If you need to see screenshots - see Customizing My Films in the Wiki

Of course the above applies to Ant Movie Catalog (which is why Guzzi asked what movie catalog you use). However, IIRC most movie catalogs offer a similar field you can use.

I have added your question to our MyFilms FAQ under Index CDs... because I think it is an important one, and a very good example of what My Films can do for you. So thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom