CECRemote [0.9.7] (11 Viewers)

TLD

Portal Pro
October 26, 2007
Rainy Washington
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
If it is the Inteset that you purchased, the description specifically states that the receiver works with "Media Center and MCE related apps". So in the Harmony Setup tool, you simply select "Microsoft MCE Media Center" (or similar). Note: there may be more than one command set listed for Microsoft MCE; if so, try them all until you find one that works.

If you purchased the Dell remote/receiver combination, you proceed the same as above, and select "Microsoft MCE Media Center" in the Harmony Setup tool.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
I did the setup for the Harmony today and setup didn't find anything using Microsoft MCE Media Center in brand so i tried Microsoft as brand and MCE Media Center as serial #, setup took me to another page and asked me what I was trying to control, I selected media PC and then setup took me to another page and wanted me to select what the buttons did,
I backed out of that and entered Microsoft as brand and MCE RC6 as serial #, setup took me to another page and asked me what I was trying to control, I selected media PC and then setup took me to another page and wanted me to select what the buttons did again, so I backed up and entered Desktop PC and it saved the device hopefully that is the right device, won't really know until I receive the Dell remote/receiver.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I did the setup for the Harmony today and setup didn't find anything using Microsoft MCE Media Center
    I currently have my Harmony 650 setup to send signals for the Ortek VRC-1100 remote control. Although this is a WMC remote control, it sends keyboard shortcuts, which are different from the signals sent for MCE RC6.

In the past I have defined the 650 to send MCE RC6 signals, but I cannot now remember what device I selected :confused:. Sorry about that :(. However, there definitely is a pre-defined command set for MCE RC6 in the Harmony Setup tool. I will have a look tomorrow to see if I can re-discover what it was I selected in the Harmony tool.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I did the setup for the Harmony today and setup didn't find anything using Microsoft MCE Media Center
    I have re-discovered how to set up the 650 for MCE RC6 :), although it took me several attempts before I found the right device :(.

If you look on the underside of the IR receiver, you will probably find a label with several different "part numbers". The one that is significant is the one that begins OVU. So in the Harmony Setup tool:
    • Select "Add Device".
    • On the"Add Device" panel, enter "Microsoft" for the manufacturer, enter "OVU" for the device model number, and press the ENTER key on the keyboard.
    • The setup tool will display a pop-up that lists several different IR receivers that begin "OVU". The one that corresponds to the MCE RC6 command set is OVU - 4000/00, so select that.
    • Complete the "Add Device" procedure. The new device will display as "Microsoft Media Player".
    • Create an "HTPC" activity, specifying the devices and inputs that are appropriate for your equipment.
    • Many of the button assignments will be correct, but not all. For example, the START function (for starting MP from the Windows desktop) will not be allocated to any button. So go into the "Buttons" section and edit the button assignments for the Microsoft Media Player device, rather than the HTPC activity. I assign the START function to the MENU button, but you can choose whichever button you prefer. Note: in MP's HID config, I define the START button to do other things, so that button only acts as START when MP is not running.

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    I currently have my Harmony 650 setup to send signals for the Ortek VRC-1100 remote control. Although this is a WMC remote control, it sends keyboard shortcuts, which are different from the signals sent for MCE RC6.
    After setting up the Dell OVU remote I see that there are some functions that I use all the time that are not available with this remote control.
    I use page up and page down to move through my movie list, scrolling through over 2000 movies is a pain.

I see that the Ortek VRC-1100 remote control uses keyboard shortcuts, the flirc IR receiver also has the option to use keyboard shortcuts.
    I have my present setup using a combination of the RC6 and keyboard shortcuts, the flirc uses a computer program to set up the desired keyboard shortcut to any button.

Does the Ortek VRC-1100 have a way to assign different keyboard shortcuts to the buttons you desire?
    I assume the IR receiver I'm getting will work with the Ortek VRC-1100.

Last edited:

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    @CyberSimian

I found this thread and wonder if i can use it to map the upper arrow buttons on the Harmony 650 to page up and page down?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I see that there are some functions that I use all the time that are not available with this remote control.
    I use page up and page down to move through my movie list, scrolling through over 2000 movies is a pain.
    You can achieve what you want, but not by using the Harmony Setup tool. :)

In the Harmony tool, you assign MCE RC6 functions to physical buttons on the 650. These assignments are fixed, and cannot vary according to the circumstances.

In "MP Config", you assign MP functions to the buttons on the remote, and these can vary according to the circumstances. You use the "Remotes and Other Input Devices" section, and select the "HID" tab. MP provides two default configs: "classic" and "full":
    • "classic" is for the MCE RC6 remote control only, and you have to define keyboard actions elsewhere; this is not recommended these days.
    • "full" is for the MCE RC6 remote control and the keyboard, so you must select both Enable HID and Use HID keyboard in this case. This is the recommended way to define keyboard actions (if you want to use them).
    The default config assigns PAGE_UP and PAGE_DOWN functions to the CHANNEL_UP and CHANNEL_DOWN buttons, which I think is exactly what you want. If they appear to operate in the reverse direction, you can swap around their definitions.

The HID support is very flexible, but initially it can be somewhat unclear how to use it. Read the section in the Wiki to learn how to set up your config.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    can I use it to map the upper arrow buttons on the Harmony 650 to page up and page down?
    MP will see the upper arrow buttons on the 650 only if you assign MCE RC6 functions to them. But in your HID config, you can define those functions to perform any other function that MP supports. However, I don't think that you need to use the upper arrow buttons for page up/down, as the channel up/down buttons do that in the default config. The point here is that page up/down and channel up/down are mutually exclusive, so there is no limitation in assigning them to the same buttons.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I assume the IR receiver I'm getting will work with the Ortek VRC-1100.
    No, it won't. The Dell IR receiver will appear in Windows "Device Manager" as a "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver". The Ortek IR receiver appears as a combination keyboard and mouse (i.e. Windows thinks that you have plugged in another keyboard and another mouse).

I have arranged my movie collection in 27 single-letter folders named "A" to "Z", plus "#" for movies that begin with numbers or other non-alphabetic characters.

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    MP will see the upper arrow buttons on the 650 only if you assign MCE RC6 functions to them. But in your HID config, you can define those functions to perform any other function that MP supports. However, I don't think that you need to use the upper arrow buttons for page up/down, as the channel up/down buttons do that in the default config. The point here is that page up/down and channel up/down are mutually exclusive, so there is no limitation is assigning them to the same buttons.

Cool, I was unaware that the channel up/down buttons had this function.

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    I have re-discovered how to set up the 650 for MCE RC6 :), although it took me several attempts before I found the right device :(.

If you look on the underside of the IR receiver, you will probably find a label with several different "part numbers". The one that is significant is the one that begins OVU. So in the Harmony Setup tool:
    • Select "Add Device".
    • On the"Add Device" panel, enter "Microsoft" for the manufacturer, enter "OVU" for the device model number, and press the ENTER key on the keyboard.
    • The setup tool will display a pop-up that lists several different IR receivers that begin "OVU". The one that corresponds to the MCE RC6 command set is OVU - 4000/00, so select that.
    • Complete the "Add Device" procedure. The new device will display as "Microsoft Media Player".
    • Create an "HTPC" activity, specifying the devices and inputs that are appropriate for your equipment.
    • Many of the button assignments will be correct, but not all. For example, the START function (for starting MP from the Windows desktop) will not be allocated to any button. So go into the "Buttons" section and edit the button assignments for the Microsoft Media Player device, rather than the HTPC activity. I assign the START function to the MENU button, but you can choose whichever button you prefer. Note: in MP's HID config, I define the START button to do other things, so that button only acts as START when MP is not running.
    Got the remote and IR receiver hooked up and everything is working great.
    The Harmony 650 is working as well.
    Thanks again for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom