Client starts but remote stops working after first use (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I am also confused by the 2880x1620 resolution and have no idea where that is coming from.
    Okay, maybe we could approach it this way: what is the native/max resolution of the laptop's screen, and what is the native/max resolution of the TV's screen?

The 'display screen settings', in Windows 10, reflects this and the 'Multiple displays' option is set to 'Duplicate these displays'.

Is this what you mean my "mode" of video?
    "Duplicate these displays" is indeed what I meant by "mode". I would have thought that should work okay.

Is there a preferred or for turning things on?
    Not 100% sure, but I would have recommended turning on TV then AVR/amp then PC.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I can try changing the order of switching things on again to see whether I can clear things up. Is there a preferred or for turning things on?
    Does your TV have an HDMI socket that supports the "Audio Return Channel" (ARC)? If it does, you might want to try connecting your laptop directly to the TV via a normal HDMI socket, and then connecting the TV to the amplifier via the ARC HDMI socket. (You might need to change some settings on your TV to enable this.) Connecting the amplifier in this way means that it no longer acts as the "middleman", and hence removes any dependency on the amplifier performing pass-through correctly.

My Sony TV has four HDMI sockets, but only one supports ARC (HDMI 2, I think). I have never tried this config myself (my amplifier is analogue!), so I don't know whether the HDMI socket on the amplifier also needs to support ARC.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Sorry.

The max resolution of the TV is 1920 * 1080.

Today, I started up the TV, the amp and then the laptop and there was no problem.

It's obviously a little soon to know if that resolves the issue and I'll report back next week.

Tony[DOUBLEPOST=1464293485][/DOUBLEPOST]Hi CyberSimian

That's a good point. My TV is quite old, SONY KDL-46X2000, but very good quality - SONY were way ahead of their time with this TV.

There are two HDMI sockets but no ARC feature. The audio between the amp and the TV is handled using digital audio (PCM).

I don't think it would be practical to separate the TV outputs between the amp and the laptop as only one TV output can be selected at a time.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Tony

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The max resolution of the TV is 1920 * 1080.
    Thanks. That's only half the answer though. I also asked about the laptop screen... ;)

Today, I started up the TV, the amp and then the laptop and there was no problem.

It's obviously a little soon to know if that resolves the issue and I'll report back next week.
    Cool, sounds good. Note that I'll be AFK from Sunday through to Friday (probably more like Saturday) in NZ time, so my responses for the next week are likely to be slower.

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Sorry again. I thought I had said that the default screen resolution for the laptop is 1366 * 768; i.e. for the built-in screen.

I'll keep you updated with what happens and get back to you in a week's time.

Tony

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes, you did say that. However I was (and still am) a little confused. Earlier you said:

The Latitude E7250 has a default resolution of 1366 * 768.
    When I turn on the amplifier and the television, the laptop's resolution changes to 1920 * 1080 (recommended).
    The 1920x1080 resolution is what the laptop's resolution changes to when the amp is turned on; this happens automatically.

To me these statements implied that the default resolution you've chosen for the laptop's screen is 1366x768, but the max is actually 1920x1080.

...or when you say "the laptop's resolution changes to 1920 * 1080", do you mean that the laptop's screen goes black (off) and the resolution of the HDMI output fed to the TV is 1920x1080?

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Okay. If I turn on the laptop, but not the TV, and the amplifier is on standby (in pass-through mode), the screen resolution on the laptop is 1366 * 768. This is the highest possible resolution on the laptop at this point

Then, when I turn on the TV, the laptop automatically detects the TV and the screen resolution changes to 1920 * 1080. I have the 'Multiple displays' option is set to 'Duplicate these displays'. The maximum resolution has changed from 1366 * 768 to 1920 * 1080 without me doing anything on the laptop.

Up till now, I had been assuming that the "DefaultWideHD" screen skin works best with a screen resolution on the laptop of 1920 * 1080 which is why I set the default resolution to 1920 * 1080 when the TV is turned on. I could set the screen resolution for when the TV is on to 1366 * 768 - Windows 10 seems to remember each configuration separately depending upon which devices that are attached to the laptop are active. I guess I could set the resolution to 1366 * 768 for every configuration

I hope this helps you to understand what is happening with my set-up. I have no idea what is going on here.

Tony

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    After more than a week, the problem has not occurred when I turn on the TV, then the amp, then the laptop.

I had the delay settings set to 30 seconds. So I changed that back to zero and got the problem straight away. I then set the delay to 10 seconds and have not experienced the problem since.

So, we have a workaround but it would be nice to know what was causing it in the first place though I have no idea how we could do that.

Thanks for the help.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom