Comcast ATSC Tuning Frequencies (Houstn, Texas) same as Brighthouse (Orlando, Florida)..? (1 Viewer)

NRivera637

Portal Member
September 7, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Question for MP Team - or anyone with answwr:

Are Comcast ATSC Tuning Frequencies (Houston, Texas) same as Brighthouse (Orlando, Florida)..? If not, does anyone know Orlando Frequencies..?

Below is short sample of Houston frequencies from ATSC TuningParameters:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ArrayOfATSCTuning xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">

<ATSCTuning>
<frequency>135</frequency>
</ATSCTuning>
<ATSCTuning>
<frequency>55250</frequency>
</ATSCTuning>
<ATSCTuning>
<frequency>55262</frequency>
</ATSCTuning>
<ATSCTuning>
<frequency>61250</frequency>
</ATSCTuning>
<ATSCTuning>
<frequency>61262</frequency>
</ATSCTuning>
<ATSCTuning>
<frequency>67250</frequency>
</ATSCTuning>
<ATSCTuning>
<frequency>67262</frequency>
</ATSCTuning>
<ATSCTuning>
<frequency>73250</frequency>
</ATSCTuning>

</ArrayOfATSCTuning>

Will appreciate help - Thanks.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    I'm surprised to see ATSC and Comcast mentioned together. ATSC is normally used for OTA (antenna) digital TV. Cable companies normally use QAM, a different digital TV standard. But many cable companies are phasing out non encrypted QAM and require using Cable Card ready tuners.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I agree with Ron.
    Assuming you're referring to clear QAM (or cable in general): yes the cable frequency plans are defined by the FCC. So, Brighthouse and Comcast may not use the exact same frequencies for the exact same channels, but they'll likely be similar. I guess you're trying to assemble a frequency list for your KWorld DVB-C virtual tuner? If I were you I'd convert the whole QAM standard frequency list and be done with it.

NRivera637

Portal Member
    September 7, 2013
    Home Country
    The ATSC frequencies are what appear in your default installation set and was used to also resolve my UB435-Q issue some months ago with the help of MM. These are used by MP when doing a QAM scan. These frequencies are in the TuningParameters folder as 'QAM Standard'. The concern I have is that they might be different for Brighthouse (or not).[DOUBLEPOST=1394760616][/DOUBLEPOST]MM, caught your message too late - what you say makes sense but I have o idea how to do what you suggest since I am using MP provided frequencies. I am open to suggestions on how to do what you suggest...

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    MM, caught your message too late - what you say makes sense but I have o idea how to do what you suggest since I am using MP provided frequencies. I am open to suggestions on how to do what you suggest...
    What I'm saying is that the MP provided frequencies for cable (clear QAM) are standardised by the FCC. You can (and should) simply take the MP QAM standard frequency list and convert it to a DVB-C frequency list (which I'm assuming you know/remember how to do).

NRivera637

Portal Member
    September 7, 2013
    Home Country
    BTW MM, good memory shot on my previous issue - kudos.

On your last statement, yes - that is what I have done. I was just curious if there might be difference between Houston/Comcast and Orlando/Brighthouse. I think there is not as they do work still so the question might be moot. Your previous solution for my UB435-Q is still valid assuming no differences in frequencies. So I guess I'll go on my merry way on to new discoveries. Thanks MM and RonD - you guys still rock. :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    BTW MM, good memory shot on my previous issue - kudos.
    Thanks! I don't tend to forget things like that. :)

On your last statement, yes - that is what I have done.
    I think there is not as they do work still so the question might be moot.
    Perfect. :)

I was just curious if there might be difference between Houston/Comcast and Orlando/Brighthouse.
    There's almost certainly no difference in frequencies. Comcast and Brighthouse may put channel XYZ on different frequencies, but they'll both be working with the same frequency list overall... so frequency 1 might carry channels A, B and C for Comcast, but for Brighthouse it carries channels G, H, I and J.

So I guess I'll go on my merry way on to new discoveries. Thanks MM and RonD - you guys still rock
    Cool cool. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom