Comskip: How to? (single-seat and server/client) (1 Viewer)

u095538

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2008
    Newcastle
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    To have comskip working:

Single-seat setup:
    FIRST OFF: Follow the instructions in the wiki.
    Version 1.0.2 and up:
    Done. If you followed the wiki correctly everything should be working.
    Pre-Version 1.0.2: After following the wiki, Media portal will now skip commercials within MyVideos automatically, but having them skipped within MyTV requires you to press "Chapter Next" or "Chapter Previous" on your remote/keyboard. "Chapter Next" and "Chapter Previous" are not mapped by default. You must first map these functions to a key on the keyboard/remote Note: version 1.0.2 has these functions mapped by default (thanks winterescape)

Mapping "Chapter Next" and "Chapter Previous":
    1. Open up MediaPortal configuration
    2. Expand "General" and select "Keys and Sounds".
    3. Expand "Windows" in the Assignments box.
    4. Expand "Fullscreen Video specific actions"
    5. Click add and add 2 new assignment:

Description: Next Chapter
    Action: ACTION_NEXT_CHAPTER
    Key: F8

Description: Prev Chapter
    Action: ACTION_PREV_CHAPTER
    Key: F7

Done!

Server/Client:
    FIRST OFF: Follow the instructions in the wiki.

Unfortunately comskip does not work on a server/client setup out of the box. You can get it working great, you just need to first learn why it doesn't work and then configure around the problem.

Why doesn't it work?
    The problem is comskip data isn't read when using RTSP. By default, Mediaportal uses RTSP.

What is RTSP?
    In a server/client setup the two machines must talk to each other over your network. The protocol used is 'RTSP' (Real Time Streaming Protocol). Comskip won't work with RTSP so you must change your setup to not use it. I know of only two ways to do this, see below.

Solution:
    I know of only two ways to stop using RTSP.
    1. Follow the instructions in this thread: Plugin - avoiding RTSP in multiseat mode <-- pretty minimal change
    2. Install a plugin/add-on called 4therecord
    Either option means a setup where UNC is used instead of RTSP.

Which option?
    Well, the first is only a small change (remember to backup everything first).
    I have two notes to help you with the first option if you just can't seem to get it working right: (Note: Go read the thread first, you may not have any problems)
    1: If you can't seem to get it working because media portal 'can't playback the file', then it's probably because MediaPortal can't see the file you wanna play. With RTSP all you had to do in Media Portal client is say the servername of the TV-server. That's all. You didn't have to map drives or point to a location like \\server\share\television_data, or anything like that. You are no longer using RTSP so pointing to the right location is important and is probably where this is falling over.
    Do the following: Try to open up a pre-recorded TV show. OK the error message, close MediaPortal. Go to your log file on your client machine (Vista: C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\log\MediaPortal.log || XP: C:\documents and settings\all users\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\log\MediaPortal.log) and look for an entry relevant to what you just tried to play (If you need something to search for, try this '[Info.][MPMain]: TvRecorded Play:'). You should be able to find an entry very similar to this:
    "2010-01-30 15:43:57.985000 [Info.][MPMain]: TvRecorded Play:\\fileserver\E\HTPC Data\TV Shows\Recordings\The Hills\The Hills - GO! Canberra - 2010-01-19 - 1_00 PM.ts - using rtsp mode:False"
    Now on your client machine, highlight the bit that's bold and copy. Then go Start > Run > Explorer > Enter. Explorer should open up. On the address bar up the top, paste in what you copied. If explorer can't see the following path then work on that. Your client machine must be able to see the path in bold.
    Once you have the pre-recorded TV bit working apply the same logic to the live-TV. Check the logs, find out where your client machine can't see, fix it. Remember to read the original thread, many people's posts/answers will help you by just reading them.

2: Once everything is working, you may experience live-tv stuttering after watching TV for a bit. If you experience this issue, replace file 'TsReader.ax' with the one attached to this post then reboot the client computer. The file lives in your "C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal" on your client machine. Note: the stuttering happens when the playback switches from one timeshift file to the next. So in other words if you increase the allowed size of your timeshift files (done via TV-Server config) that will increase the amount of time it takes before you experience the problem

The second option will work too, but it means installing 4therecord which is a much larger solution than just simply fixing comskip. 4therecord changes the way you can schedule recordings. Personally, I think 4therecord is a fantastic plugin and you may just fall in love with it. To help you decide, the main features of 4therecord are the following:
    * Web Access to your TV-Guide over the internet. That means you can schedule stuff from work/school etc.
    * Internet access to your TV-Guide via instant messaging. So you 'chat' to your TV-Guide from MSN and tell it to record stuff
    * 4TR can send you an email if your system requires your attention
    * Uses a rule-based scheduling system. This is pretty cool. This means you can say: Record any "CSI" show, from any channel, but not if its "Miami", and not if I've recorded it before, and not if its "Tuesday" or you can say: record any show that has "heath ledger" in it, but only on channel "BBC" or "Fox" or "SBSTWO". You get the idea. Follow the link above to learn, download and then install it.

I hope this helps someone. My comskip is now working after hours of farting around. I've made a crude adjustment to the wiki (which basically points here) to hopefully help future people who can't get it working and keep loosing their weekends :)
    -George Edwards

++++Original Post++++

Greeting all.

I can't get comskip working and need some help..

Here's what I've done:
    • TVSERVER: Downloaded the latest comskip from here: comskip80_030.zip - Jan 02 2010
    • TVSERVER: Unpacked to the TV-Server's local disk
    • TVSERVER: Enabled the ComSkipLauncher plugin within TV-Server
    • TVSERVER: Within the plugin, pointed to the unpacked comskip exe
    • TVSERVER: Changed "When to launch" to "Recording End"
    • TVSERVER: Left parameters the default, "{0}"
    • TVSERVER: Ran a successful test on a pre-recorded .ts file which created the <programme>.txt, <programme>.logo.txt, et al, within the same directory as .ts file
    • MediaPortal: Enabled the "Automatically skip commercials for videos with ComSkip data available"
    • MediaPortal: Launched Media Portal
    • MediaPortal: Navigated to "Recorded TV" and launched the pre-recorded show above
    • MediaPortal: Hit "chapter forward" and "chapter back" buttons on keyboard/remote to no avail :(
    I have two problems:
    1. Need comskip actually working
    2. Would like to limit the parsing of .ts files to specific channels only

1. My understanding is that MP will only automatically skip commercials within MyVideos, and pre-recorded TV must be manually skipped by initiating a chapter skip.. however that doesn't work for me either. If I manually look through the comskip data it looks good. That is, the logo is perfect and the timestamps seem right. It's just as though Media Portal is ignoring the comskip data :(
    2. Can I easily limit comskip to only parse recordings from certain channels by using the "{6}" parameter? Has anyone had this working?

Thanks to anyone for your help. I had some troubles with my MediaPortal, single-seat solution for a long long time. I've since moved to a server/client setup, only installing on server/client after all errors within event manager were fixed and everything is rock-solid stable. This is the only problem I have left, getting comskip to work. Thanks again. Looking forward to your replies :)

Last edited:

winterescape

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Re: Comskip: How to?

Not sure if anything has changed and I have never read the manual but MP skips the commercials for me when I record TV shows but I never hit any buttons. I do not use the chapter buttons you mention, it just will jump the commercials if the text file exists during playback. I have never tried it from “my videos”

u095538

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2008
    Newcastle
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

MP skips the commercials for me when I record TV shows but I never hit any buttons.

That's awesome. What version are you using? I'm pretty sure one must first download comskip, then configure the TV-Server's comskiplauncher plugin to use it.

Did you install MP yourself, or did you image off of some distribution or something? Weird.

Has anyone had this working? Please I'm really keen to get it going.

I know comskip is working properly and the outputted txt file is spot-on. This is because I've opened up a recording in Media Plater Classic, then used the output within the txt file to "Jump to" (Ctrl+G) a particular frame and the txt output is spot-on where the commercials start/finish..

..so it's just Media Portal which is not reading/utilising the txt file...

please help! :confused:

dvbkiwi

Portal Pro
    November 2, 2009
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

So further to this, I have discovered that comskip works fine if I play my recordings from "My Videos" instead of from the recorded shows in "My TV". This assumes of course that you have enabled the auto skip option in your general settings.

I have also read in one of the forums that comskip in "My TV" only works on a single seat instalation. I can only assume that this is because fo the fact that when you have a client/server instalation the file is being streamed to the client and the client has no visibility of the txt file.

The next chapter and previous chapter buttons will also work in "My Videos" if you have not enabled auto skip.

Hope this helps

winterescape

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

MP skips the commercials for me when I record TV shows but I never hit any buttons.

That's awesome. What version are you using? I'm pretty sure one must first download comskip, then configure the TV-Server's comskiplauncher plugin to use it.

Did you install MP yourself, or did you image off of some distribution or something? Weird.

Has anyone had this working? Please I'm really keen to get it going.

I know comskip is working properly and the outputted txt file is spot-on. This is because I've opened up a recording in Media Plater Classic, then used the output within the txt file to "Jump to" (Ctrl+G) a particular frame and the txt output is spot-on where the commercials start/finish..

..so it's just Media Portal which is not reading/utilising the txt file...

please help! :confused:

hehe... yes, I downloaded it and set it all up, I was just commenting that I did not use the chapter buttons to skip commercials, MP will do this on its own if properly configured. I think a big clue is here...

I have also read in one of the forums that comskip in "My TV" only works on a single seat instalation.

dihoff

Portal Pro
    October 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

i have it working here with MP 1.0.2, and comskip 0.80.027...

from the list i can't see a step that you have configured the chapter forward/back buttons - these aren't setup by default - you have to add these if you want them. you can find how to do this in the thread previously linked: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/tips-tricks-52/howto-get-comskip-work-mediaportal-29247/

i also rely on MP automatically skipping the commercials, so never use the chapter forward/back buttons.

cheers,

dh.

Firentis

January 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Finland Finland

Here's what I've done:
    • TVSERVER: Downloaded the latest comskip from here: comskip80_030.zip - Jan 02 2010
    • TVSERVER: Unpacked to the TV-Server's local disk
    • TVSERVER: Enabled the ComSkipLauncher plugin within TV-Server
    • TVSERVER: Within the plugin, pointed to the unpacked comskip exe
    • TVSERVER: Changed "When to launch" to "Recording End"
    • TVSERVER: Left parameters the default, "{0}"
    • TVSERVER: Ran a successful test on a pre-recorded .ts file which created the <programme>.txt, <programme>.logo.txt, et al, within the same directory as .ts file

Hi,
    I inspired too about comskip and wanted to try it today. I did all in list and restarted TVserver. Now comskip works fine.

It works with 1.1.0 beta and comskip version 80_030. Plays files from Recorded TV place.

dvbkiwi

Portal Pro
    November 2, 2009
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Hi,
    I inspired too about comskip and wanted to try it today. I did all in list and restarted TVserver. Now comskip works fine.

It works with 1.1.0 beta and comskip version 80_030. Plays files from Recorded TV place.[/QUOTE]

is this on a standalone service installation or are you using a server/client install with the server on different hardware?

Firentis

January 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Finland Finland

is this on a standalone service installation or are you using a server/client install with the server on different hardware?

Oh sorry, I forgot to put that info: I run standalone, but I guess it will run same way with server/client setup. Just be sure that comskip produce edl, log and txt files to same directory where is video file. Mediaportal should recognize files.

Timelinebar wont show any marks or colors for commercials (would be nice addon).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom