Connecting to TV (Samsung) (1 Viewer)

ctaylor80

Portal Member
April 19, 2011
Home Country
Hey all, jus a bit confused here, I have a samsung series 6 LED TV, have been working good simply by using the HDMI port on the motherboard to the HDMI port on the TV, all good an happy with sound. Have recently decided to purchase a Videocard due to the tearing image which can be very enoying when watching tv and HD movies. So bought a 1gb Ati 5570 which has a HDMI port to use.

So my question is what is the best method to connect up your TV to your HTPC, what does everyone do? I can use the HDMI port on the video card which works, but is it better to run the TV from the DVI connector for display and the sound seperate via the on board sound? OR jus the way I have it now eg HDMI from videocard to HDMI on the TV?

just wanting to get the best vide output and sound from my HTPC.

Cheers!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi

I think there is no question that HDMI is the best option for sound if you have any content with >6 channel audio streams - I literally don't know of any other way to bundle 7.1 channels together in a cable. You're unlikely to have content with 7.1 audio channels for live TV or DVDs, but if you use your HTPC for Bluray playback then it is relatively common.

So that would be a roundabout way of saying that it depends on the content that you're accessing on your HTPC. If it is just DVD rips, internet downloads and live TV (up to 5.1 audio and 1080i/p native/upscaled) then in my opinion there is no reason why SPDIF and DVI wouldn't be okay. Both digital connections. No information lost between the HTPC and TV. Of course there is the question of HDCP, but I think DVI can carry that too. HDMI is convenient over relatively short distances - no reason not to use it unless you have a separate receiver/amplifier and it would be more convenient to use SPDIF direct to the amp.

The things that will actually make the difference in picture quality are ensuring that the refresh rates and resolutions of the content match the refresh rates and resolutions that your TV can handle. It may be preferable to upscale, deinterlace, and/or do frame rate conversion to 1080i/p24/50 in the HTPC - that's something you would have to check with trial and error I think. My personal preferences are also to have as little post processing (edge enhancement, dynamic contrast etc.) in the codecs, video card drivers, and TV settings... that stuff is personal taste though.

mm
    :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom