Dual CF - SATA HDD Adapter for Timeshifting (1 Viewer)

geoffw

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 28, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    This smart DIY SSD adaptor looks flash to me.

Excuse pun.

Couple of cheap 4GB CF cards, and you're away with silent, low power, high performance timeshift target.

Has anyone tried on of these?

Any suggestions in finding the sweet spot with the CF cards themselves. i.e. 4GB ranges in price due to stated speed. I reckon the cheapies using hardware RAID0 in addonics card should should do it.

Available in PCie, IDE (yuk) or SATAII

http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/adsacf.asp

Once prices get down a bit, probably no reason you can't get 2 - one for OS, and one for timeshifting.

adsacf_detail.jpg

Cheers.

Geoff

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The one you linked to is only single CF card - the dual card SATA version is here Dual CF - SATA HDD Adapter from Addonics

One thing to be aware of for OS/timeshifting use - flash memory very, very slowly wears out when written.

To extend the life of the memory cells, 'proper' SSD memory controllers employ 'wear-leveling' techniques to equalize the wear across all the cells in the chip(s).

The controllers in SSD's track the usage and move data around to avoid excessive use of the same physical cells - this may not be the case with these adaptors (it isn't mentioned in the spec as far as I can see).

Tony

khael

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    i have the same ideas...
    i have 2 adaptors cf to sata;
    i would like to buy 2 cf card 4gb slc 300x and use it in raid0.

I would like to build a minitx pc with ion and use it like a mediacenter terminal (i have a tv.server)

2cf will have a very good performance (boot in a few second)
    no sound, very low power use (and heat)

romuz

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 26, 2008
    Moskau
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    I think additional ram with ramdisk more good solution for timeshift but it highly depend on how much data you want to timeshift and now many clients it must handle

khael

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I think additional ram with ramdisk more good solution for timeshift but it highly depend on how much data you want to timeshift and now many clients it must handle

my idea is not to use it for timeshift....
    I don't like this idea....
    ssd (and also cf) should work to much...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom