eBay MCE remotes likely cheapest reliable IR blaster / emitter (1 Viewer)

Nil Einne

Portal Member
April 23, 2009
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi,

I've already done a bit of searching so this is just a final check.

I'm currently using BeyondTV, planning to move to MediaPortal (already used it for relative media computers) finally. I have an LIRC serial device (made from a pack I purchased a while back) but it was never as reliable as I would like, so ended up abandoning it due to missed channel changes meaning I would usually want to check anyway. (Most of the channels I'm interested in are double digits so just sending the channel change again a few seconds later is no use.) Positioning didn't seem to help, I think one of the problems was although I gave WinLIRC realtime priority, my computer was still a fairly slow and old single core (Athlon XP!) so the LIRC device primarily relying on software didn't cut it.

Anyway since it doesn't seem likely there will ever be a working softcam for me (not supported on MediaPortal anyway I know), I've given up on that and decided to try for a better IR blaster along with the move. It seems the MCE remotes that come with them on eBay, like HP, are the cheapest out there for around US$18 (or $15 if I don't want the remote) including shipping. I live in NZ so buying from HK/China is most likely anyway. And from what I've read these usually work well without missed channel changes if you get the positioning right. Obviously I don't want another LIRC device. So is there anything a lot better or cheaper I'm missing or should I just do it on the MCE device?

Cheers

Larzon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2010
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I can not comment on the IR-blaster performance of the HP, but I can confirm the older-model HP eHome IR transceiver units are excellent IR receivers that work very well with Windows XP Pro and MediaPortal. (For anyone new to this, search Ebay for "MCE remote" or "MCE receiver".) For one of my systems I bought the full package with the HP transceiver, IR-blaster, and Linksys/Cisco-branded MCE remote. It was US$27 including shipping from Hong Kong to US. More recently I bought a receiver-only unit for US$17 including shipping from China.

!!! VERY IMPORTANT for users of Windows XP !!!
    I discovered the hard way, you need to buy an older version of the HP transceiver.
    The sticker on the bottom of the unit should have these numbers:
    HP model OVU400103/00
    HP P/N 5187-5049 or HP P/N 5188-1667

My experience with these eHome devices is limited to three models purchased in the last year or so. This is the first one I found that installs easily and functions flawlessly in XP Pro + MediaPortal with minimal headaches. There may be additional installation steps needed for XP Home.

Observations:
    > The HP is a VERY sensitive IR receiver. I can point my remote control backward over my shoulder, scatter the signal off the back of the room, and the receiver still picks up the signal. :D
    > When installing the unit I just plugged it in and let the hardware wizard do its thing. I clicked a bunch of confirmations as the wizard ran through a few cycles. During one of the later cycles it asked for a file "kbd106.dll" which I had to find on the web.* (It might have also needed "kbdjpn.dll", but I don't recall for this specific model.)
    > Other than locating one or two DLL file(s),* the installation was a breeze. Then I checked the correct boxes in the MediaPortal Configuration and the remote control worked perfectly. All button presses were recognized by default! :D
    > This receiver is RC6 compatible. I've tried 3 different models of MCE remotes, and all work perfectly with this receiver.
    > Windows identifies the transceiver as VID_0471&PID_0815, which is made by Philips. Windows recognized it as an eHome transceiver because the ID was already included in the Windows INF files. (If you have problems, this is a good place to look. Search here and on web for instructions.)

*You can probably get by without those two DLL files. I believe they are for IR keyboards that are compatible with the eHome transceiver but which I (and most users) do not have. Since I had already downloaded those files whilst troubleshooting a different model, I proceeded with the installation of these "ghost" keyboards just to make the hardware wizard happy.

If you choose not to bother with those DLLs, it's likely you will have to prevent the hardware wizard from nagging you to install those devices; with a little hunting you can probably disable the appropriate items in the Windows Device Manager.

--- What not to buy ---

Beware there is a newer version of the HP transceiver that looks like the older one but DOES NOT WORK WITH XP. I had previously bought the HP transceiver with the model number shown below, since it was advertised as being XP compatible. I spent many nights trying to get it to work with XP, and I tried every trick in the book, short of writing my own XP driver (which is way beyond me). I've concluded the model below is not, nor will it ever be, compatible with XP.

Windows XP users, do NOT buy this!
    HP model OVU400102/71
    HP P/N 5187-4593
    Windows identifies it as VID_1934&PID_5168, which is made by Fintek.

Larzon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2010
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Home Country
    Impressive. I gave that hardware to a friend so I won't be able to test out your handiwork.

Hopefully someone else can benefit.

jdiner

December 13, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi Larzon,

I hacked Windows XP driver of older Fintec chip, and it worked for me. With driver in the link below, IR receiver HP media center:

model: OVU400102/71
    P/N: 5187-4593
    VID_1934&PID_5168

works as a charm :)

driver is here:
    Fintek_F71610A_F71612A_Windows_XP_driver.rar - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

I just wanted to say thank you so much for these files/drivers! I have been searching for a long time to try and find something that worked. My search finally led me here to your post. A quick install and I am off to the races! Thank you SO MUCH!

--jdiner

Squiggy860

February 29, 2012
    Home Country
    I was looking for a driver for the ovu400102, and when I found this page, I was very skeptical :unsure:of this download. I am happy to say it was unwarranted, the fintek download made my remote work perfectly with this ir receiver. Thanks so much for making it available. :)

Johnny M.

Portal Member
    January 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I also tried to install this driver for my ovu400102 under XP (the chinese sent me the wrong model). I tried installing it through the SETUP file, which was in the ZIP file (after unzip on my D-drive). Unfortunately XP gave me a security warning, after which during installation all running software/services (except for XP) crashed and installation could not end the normal way. My configuration is now showing the 'Fintek eHome Infrared Transceiver' as a HID, but it gives the warning that the driver has not been installed. Which is not a surprise.

I would love to use this driver, especially after reading the great comments. But does anyone have a suggestion on how to install this driver without crashing other software?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom