EventGhostPlus (3 Viewers)

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Can't answer those questions for ya, but i can give you a hint (just in case). Don't forget to hit the save button and make a back-up of your config file once you're done! ;)
    I've forgot that once... That will NEVER happen again. :oops:

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I'm considering moving away from IRSS and start using EventGhost.
    I currently use IRSS for both IR receiving and blasting to a Set-Top-Box. (using MCE receiver/blaster).
    Is there a TV-Server plugin that can send channel change commands to EventGhost?

I just did this and am so glad that I did. I have a USB-UIRT to get IR signals and blast my peripherals but I have not set up STB blasting yet. I can tell you that it works REALLY well to blast my TV, Power on my STB and sound bar. If you want to try I suggest using MP 1.5 as I did get 1.6 to work but there are so many other changes that I ran into other problems and I know that 1.5 is stable for me.

1) Install Event Ghost (the latest version)
    2) In Event Ghost try installing the Microsoft MCE Remote plugin (right click on the Autostart in the right window and Add a plugin then under Remote Receiver you will find the MCE plugin-this does have the option to blast IR commands)
    3) Press your remote control and watch the left side of the windows in Event Ghost. If you see events that make sense (the play button show up as some sort of play like event) then you are half way there.
    4) Install Event Ghost Plus plugin for MP
    5) Configure the MP plugin (you only need to point to where event ghost is stored locally)
    6) Back in Event Ghost install the plugin for Mediaportal. There will be 3 folders that are installed on the right side. If you open the one called Mediaportal you will see a lot of macros (these are the things with the little cog icon).
    7) Open the stop one
    8) Point your remote at the receiver and press the stop button
    9) There should be a "stop" event on the left
    10)Drag that to the right under the stop macro.
    11) Repeat with all the other commands and buttons you have (you can just press all the buttons one after another to generate the events then go and drag them to the correct macros.
    12) You can check their actions in MP and also remove any thing else that you are not using.
    13) Make sure that there are not other things that could be causing double presses like having a keyboard emulator which will see the directional arrows on your remote and fire just as the macro from the MP plugin also sees the right arrow and fires giving you a double action.

As far as blasting the TV STB, I have not crossed that bridge yet as I have a Hauppauge Colossus card and it is really a pain to set up in my hands. I have never had it work like others have. If you figure out how to blast TV numbers to your STB, please post here.

You can add other macros to control stuff. Right click on the right window and add a macro. It will bring up a list of plugin. If you select the MCE plugin you can learn an IR command via the Transmit IR action. There will be a little learn IR command at the right once you select this. From here you can teach it your power toggle IR command for your STB, TV, sound system, etc. You can link events to these just like you did for the MP events.

Hope this helps you get started.

-S[DOUBLEPOST=1389213036][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Can't answer those questions for ya, but i can give you a hint (just in case). Don't forget to hit the save button and make a back-up of your config file once you're done! ;)
    I've forgot that once... That will NEVER happen again. :oops:

Oh HommeY. How do I make a back up of my config file? Do you mean the event ghost xlm file?

-S

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Oh HommeY. How do I make a back up of my config file? Do you mean the event ghost xlm file?

-S
    The EventGhost configuration can be found in the EventGhost installation directory:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost
    Once you've saved your config, you can find the XML (with the saved name) in there.

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    5) Configure the MP plugin (you only need to point to where event ghost is stored locally)
    Note that those two steps are only necessary if you wish for MediaPortal to send events to EventGhost, for example when start playing a video.
    If you figure out how to blast TV numbers to your STB, please post here.
    I know that the USBUIRT plugin has support for STB control however then you can most likely not use it in EventGhost at the same time. I've never tried it.

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    Note that those two steps are only necessary if you wish for MediaPortal to send events to EventGhost, for example when start playing a video.
    If you figure out how to blast TV numbers to your STB, please post here.
    I know that the USBUIRT plugin has support for STB control however then you can most likely not use it in EventGhost at the same time. I've never tried it.

Thank for the tip on steps 4 and 5. I would really love to know how to configure it to blast to the TV via USB-UIRT. I suspect it has to do with sending numbers only when you are in TV mode. Maybe someone needs to write a little python script? I'm still trying to learn it so I am not ready to tackle it just yet.

Anyone know how to work this would be great.

Thanks
    -S

P.S. What about using the one of these events to blast a STB?

Attachments

• What about here.JPG
      What about here.JPG
      122.3 KB
    Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I would really love to know how to configure it to blast to the TV via USB-UIRT. I suspect it has to do with sending numbers only when you are in TV mode. Maybe someone needs to write a little python script? I'm still trying to learn it so I am not ready to tackle it just yet.
    Steve, what provider (eg. Dish, DirecTV, Comcast) and type of STB (make and model)?
    [edit: Ahh, sorry - I see it is in your profile.]

In most cases I'd recommend IRSS and the TVE 3 blaster plugin for this. You may be able to get the MP EventGhost plugin to blast numbers that you enter with your remote when in the TV section, but I think you'd run into problems getting it to work when selecting channels using arrow keys and select/OK. Also, there'd be no way to do recordings or control multiple STBs. In other words, I think an MP plugin is a really bad solution.

You might want to keep an eye on this:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...colossus-running-with-mediaportal-1-6.123983/

mm

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    In most cases I'd recommend IRSS and the TVE 3 blaster plugin for this. You may be able to get the MP EventGhost plugin to blast numbers that you enter with your remote when in the TV section, but I think you'd run into problems getting it to work when selecting channels using arrow keys and select/OK. Also, there'd be no way to do recordings or control multiple STBs. In other words, I think an MP plugin is a really bad solution.

You might want to keep an eye on this:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...colossus-running-with-mediaportal-1-6.123983/

mm

Yes I agree with you that IRSS is the tool for what we need (can the TV3 blaster plugin work with eventghost?), however there are some really hard things to do with it when it comes to working with other peripheral equipment that Eventghost just does so easily. When I try to write macros for IRSS there are 3-4 different spots that could be used and I was never sure where to put what or which was doing the work. Eventghost has a wonderful event watcher/log so you can see what is happening and drag what you need to where you need it. This is VERY slick!

IRSS is very slow to respond and seems sometimes to not respond at all. I had to constantly restart my computer when ever I made a change. It is constantly stated in the IRSS thread that there is no developer and thus support is almost non-existent. Event Ghost has a following outside MP and thus you don't have to rely on the limited resources at MP forums. Another crazy thing (and this is just a problem specific to me...remember it is all about me) that I could not wrap my head around is that MP client can use my USB-UIRT to control MP client and blast my STB, but when I tried to map the buttons (BTW here is where event Ghost is Much faster at mapping, just press everything it shows up on the left then drag to the right..BAM! Done!) when I tried to map my back button or previous menu button, MP configure would crash.

See here

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...utton-for-usb-uirt.123743/page-2#post-1052870

So My personal experience with Eventghost has been wonderful. I guess if it had been a pain in the butt then I would be trying IRSS again. I think that a plug-in to blast STB from either within the MP client or the TV server (I think the TV Server might be better if you wanted to use Argus and had an analogue capture card which most STB people have to have, but I am just guessing)

Thanks for the link to the thread above (I hope he used EventGhost and has a solution that I can use :)

-S

I also forgot to mention, most of out media is from video sources from the internet (e.g online video plugin, etc.) and cable TV really does not come into play much so getting the TV component working isn't a top priority, but having a remote control that the wife can use or making sure that the HTPC can turn off all the peripherals reliably, is VERY important and event Ghost has been a life saver in this area.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    When I try to write macros for IRSS there are 3-4 different spots that could be used and I was never sure where to put what or which was doing the work.
    Why on earth would you want to write macros in IRSS for blasting?
    To be clear, I'm not suggesting you use IRSS for handling the receiver side of the USB-UIRT - just the transmitter (blaster) side.

Eventghost has a wonderful event watcher/log so you can see what is happening and drag what you need to where you need it. This is VERY slick!
    I agree. EventGhost is awesome. I've been a fan for a long time. However, I don't think it is the right tool for the job when it comes to blasting... or more correctly, there is no TV Server plugin that I know of which can utilise it, therefore it can't be used as part of a blasting solution.

Another crazy thing (and this is just a problem specific to me...remember it is all about me) that I could not wrap my head around is that MP client can use my USB-UIRT to control MP client and blast my STB...
    Keep in mind that blasting section is a relic from the time when TV Server and MP were one application. Please ignore it.

...but when I tried to map the buttons (BTW here is where event Ghost is Much faster at mapping, just press everything it shows up on the left then drag to the right..BAM! Done!) when I tried to map my back button or previous menu button, MP configure would crash.

See here

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...utton-for-usb-uirt.123743/page-2#post-1052870
    If you like EventGhost better than MP for mapping then I can't argue with that, but I would argue the crash should be fixed. If you would allow me to connect to this PC with TeamViewer then I might be able to take a look at fixing the problem.

I think that a plug-in to blast STB from either within the MP client...
    I can't understand why having an MP plugin for blasting would ever be a good thing for reasons mentioned previously. Namely: it would not be possible to record, and it would not be possible to support multiple tuners/blasters/STBs.

... or the TV server (I think the TV Server might be better if you wanted to use Argus and had an analogue capture card which most STB people have to have, but I am just guessing)
    IMO a server plugin is the only option. AFAIK such a plugin does not exist right now... but you could always go ahead and make one. ;)

Thanks for the link to the thread above (I hope he used EventGhost and has a solution that I can use :)
    I think you'll find he used IRSS and the TVE 3 blaster plugin.

I also forgot to mention, most of out media is from video sources from the internet (e.g online video plugin, etc.) and cable TV really does not come into play much so getting the TV component working isn't a top priority, but having a remote control that the wife can use or making sure that the HTPC can turn off all the peripherals reliably, is VERY important and event Ghost has been a life saver in this area.
    Understood. I'm coming at this from the perspective of agreeing that EventGhost is a great solution for making the remote control work, but accepting that it will not help you to integrate cable TV. In other words, if you want to set up cable TV then I'm here to help... but my help isn't going to involve EventGhost because that simply isn't a feasible solution for blasting at present.

mm

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    if you want to set up cable TV then I'm here to help.
    mm

You just said the magic words! Of course I would love some help. I am up to using what ever solution someone is willing to recommend. I am not a computer person by training only hobby so I get lost very easily. If you followed the link before, you will see that I need stuff spelled out. I can follow instructions, just not innuendo.

So where do we begin? If you have seen my system specs I think that they are UTD. I am worried about moving up to MP 1.6 as many of the plugin are still touchy. Maybe in 3-6 months? I have a working MP now and don't want to break it as that upsets the family and then I have to put off other things. I usually work 12-14hr days 4-5 days a week so not a lot happens on these days (small things can happen), but then on a day off I usually can do 3-4 hours at a time.

So I would love to have TV watching and recording capibilities with my MP system using a STB and hauppauge colossus. I can tell you that I don't think the HDMI output on the STB likes the hauppauge colossus and thus I know that the component works. I can even get the TV to work through MP now except I need to manually change the channel on the STB.

I am very familiar with team viewer and have it set up on the HTPC machine.

So either we can continue this here or maybe PM.

Let me know and thanks in advance for the help.

-S

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    Hi mm1352000,

I read through your post the other day again and focused on the part where you said "To be clear, I'm not suggesting you use IRSS for handling the receiver side of the USB-UIRT - just the transmitter (blaster) side."

This sounds like a win in my book. Can you help me set it up so that I use event ghost for the receiver side of the USB-UIRT and control the blasting of perpherials, but use IRSS for handling the STB through media portal? If you have some other ideas I am up for those as well.

Thanks

-S

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom