Extensions installer - why can't the shortcut be added to Quick start or Start Menu? (1 Viewer)

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    The shortcut is weird somehow and I can't click "Add to Quick start" or "Pin to start menu" in Windows7. I've tried both the shortcut on the Desktop as well as the one in the Start Menu Program group for Team MediaPortal.

Please advice/explain.
    Emph

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Ha, yes, this bugs me too. I have a Windows 8 client and I can add to the taskbar on there, but not on my Win 7 machines,

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Comparing the code in the NSIS script, I don't see any difference...

https://github.com/MediaPortal/MediaPortal-1/blob/master/mediaportal/Setup/setup.nsi#L795
    CreateShortCut "$DESKTOP\MediaPortal.lnk" "$MPdir.Base\MediaPortal.exe" "" "$MPdir.Base\MediaPortal.exe" 0 "" "" "MediaPortal"
    CreateShortCut "$DESKTOP\MediaPortal Configuration.lnk" "$MPdir.Base\Configuration.exe" "" "$MPdir.Base\Configuration.exe" 0 "" "" "MediaPortal Configuration"

https://github.com/MediaPortal/MediaPortal-1/blob/master/mediaportal/Setup/setup.nsi#L711
    CreateShortCut "$DESKTOP\MediaPortal Extension Installer.lnk" "$MPdir.Base\MpeInstaller.exe" "" "$MPdir.Base\MpeInstaller.exe" 0 "" "" "MediaPortal Extension Installer"

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Sorry, I don't understand what that means.
    My point was that the code that creates the shortcuts for MediaPortal and MediaPortal Configuration is almost identical to the code that creates the shortcuts for the MPEI. There seems to be no functional difference. So, if you're saying that only the MPEI link is a problem then my guess is that the problem is related to your Windows setup/configuration rather than MediaPortal code.

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    So, if the shortcut could be renamed "MediaPortal Extensions Manager" instead of "MediaPortal Extensions Installer", than this problem would go away. I just tried renaming it, and it worked.

Emph

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Weird, I also wondered about this since my first MP HTPC installation and would probably never have come across this solutiuon. Maybe this should be on JIRA for the next release, easy to fix. @mm1352000

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom