Failed Recording Daily (1 Viewer)

Steven Piazza

Portal Member
September 21, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Each night I attempt to record a 2 programs. One begins at 11:30pm (The Late Show with David Letterman) and the other at 11:35pm (Tonight Show). Last week both shows recorded fairly successfully. The past two days, only the 11:35pm show records and the 11:30pm show fails consistently and I don't know how to resolve. I use a dual tuner HD Homerun. It appears the MP1 cannot lock onto the signal?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached is my TVService.log.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

It appears the MP1 cannot lock onto the signal?
    Yep, that's what it looks like.

Are you sure the tuning details for the channel are correct? Your cable provider could simply have moved the channel to a different frequency, in which case you'd need to rescan in order to pick up the change.

Regards,
    mm

Steven Piazza

Portal Member
    September 21, 2014
    Home Country
    Thank you for the quick reply. What puzzles me is that I have no problem quickly tuning to the channel via MP GUI when I test during the day. I have not attempted to manually tune to the channel during the recording period. I often successfully record other shows on this specific channel at other times during the week.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmm, that would puzzle me too. All I can say with the information you've provided is that it genuinely looks like failure to lock on signal. If you can provide additional logs showing successful tuning during the day etc. then that would be helpful. Until then, I can't think of anything else I can do to help you.

Steven Piazza

Portal Member
    September 21, 2014
    Home Country
    I will perform a test record today and post the log. In the meantime, if you require a different set of logs that might provide more detail, please let me know.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    Looks like steve is using clearQAM, I've seen something similar with OTA/ATSC. For a while my hdhr ATSC tuners had trouble looking to 1 and only 1 channel I think it was Phy=12, ATSC 11.1 KNTV, same sort of error, 5 loops with 'LockInOnSignal waiting 20ms" and "LockInOnSignal could not lock onto channel". My Haupaugge 2250 tuner locked to that channel 1st time without problems so I did not see missed recordings (often). I don't see this ATSC/HDHR Phy=12 HDHR problem any more not sure what changed.

I'm sort of having a similar problem with a different channel, 2250 can't lock reliably to Phy=45, ATSC 44.1 KBCW but HDHR locks the 1st time. One time a recording started 10 minutes late, the logs showed the HDHR tuners were busy and only 2250 was free, MePo tried many times with the 2250, always getting "LockInOnSignal could not lock" but after 10 minutes of thrashing it finally locked.

In TvServerConfig > General > Scan, increasing the 1st time "Tune" from 2 (default) to 5 seems to help, but 2250 still seems to have occasional lock trouble see
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...figuration/TV-Server_Configuration/06_General

Side comment to @mm1352000, for testing I've disabled the HDHR so only 2250 is available, and done multiple tests, tuning to Phy=45, ATSC 44.1 KBCW. Sometimes it locks with the 1st 20ms timeout, other times it takes 4-5 timeouts then locks, or sometimes times out and gets the error. I've increased the Tune timeout to 20sec, fails less often but sometimes still does not lock, then works quickly the next time I try. If I run the Haupaugge SignalMonitor tools, once this channel locks it shows, "green" SNR = 25+, 0 or occasional 1-2 corrected errors. If I test Phy=44 ATSC 2.1 KTVU it always lock 1st time every time, both channels TX from the same Sutro Tower near SF about 30 miles away, totally different results on 2 adjacent ATSC channels, very strange. I'm using Tune=5 as a way to reduce the problem, not sure what MePo SW could do to help.

Steven Piazza

Portal Member
    September 21, 2014
    Home Country
    Attached is a successful scheduled recording from the same channel I was having trouble with last night -- so you can compare logs.

Attachments

• Successful-Record.txt
      29.6 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Attached is a successful scheduled recording from the same channel I was having trouble with last night -- so you can compare logs.
    Thanks... but I can do nothing with this.
    There's no context to show me what the tuner(s) were doing before you tuned that channel, and no TsWriter log file to show whether the signal strength/quality might be dodgy.

In short, please always please post full log files using the watchdog tool. In this case use option 3 to export existing log files:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

Steven Piazza

Portal Member
    September 21, 2014
    Home Country
    Sorry for not posting full log. Attached are the logs you are looking for,

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @RonD if you're having problems I'd prefer you create a full report with logs, dates/times, channel names, program names... in a separate thread. Better not to assume that you have the same problem as Steven. Sure, the symptoms might look vaguely similar but the cause may be entirely different... and from my perspective, it is quite hard to keep track of two conversations in the same thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom