Fast forwarding tv (1 Viewer)

Neild7744

Portal Pro
July 25, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Here is an interesting one...

If I play any movie via moving pictures or tv series using MP tv series and I fast forward the video it speeds up x2, x4, x8...etc quite smoothly. This is exactly the same for SD and HD content

Whenever I fast forward recorded tv it works ok, but video playback doesn't speed up like I mention above, it's more blocky and distorted.

Strange thing is I'm using exactly the same codecs etc for everything, my tv series and movies are on slower HDD's and only on sata 2, my network or any other hardware hasn't changed? In fact my recorded tv is on a 500gb sata 3 7200 rpm WD HDD which has a better performance than any of the other drives... Yet won't fast forward tv the same?

Don't get me wrong everything works ok, I'm just trying to understand why just recorded tv does not fast forward as smooth video like all my other media does!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Neil

Fast forward also depends on the actual video format (h.264, MPEG 2 etc.) and splitter (TsReader vs. LAV vs. Haali). Using the same codecs is only one part of the equation...

mm

Neild7744

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Oh lol. Fair enough. Il just have a play about and see if I can make it any better. Would just be nice to have all stored media files 'acting' the same

Neild7744

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Still exactly the same issue. Tv series and movies fast forward nicely, recorded tv is blocky

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    What speed are you trying to FF at, and does it make a difference if you go faster or slower?

Neild7744

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Say I fast forward at x4, all my movies at tv series on both my tv server and client fast forward with no problems, the video is just 4x faster. If I try the same with recorded tv instead of a 4x faster playback it's just very stuttery and blocky.

I was spending a lot of time researching faster HDDs and improving hardware and my network speed as I was kind of convinced that was the bottleneck, but it doesn't make sense that I can fast forward a big blu ray movie file over my network no problem at 4x speed, but recorded tv I can't.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If I try the same with recorded tv instead of a 4x faster playback it's just very stuttery and blocky.
    I was spending a lot of time researching faster HDDs and improving hardware and my network speed as I was kind of convinced that was the bottleneck, but it doesn't make sense that I can fast forward a big blu ray movie file over my network no problem at 4x speed, but recorded tv I can't.
    So logically the next test you should do would be to copy one of the recorded TV TS files to the local PC to see whether playing it locally has the same issue as playing over the network. Please post logs when you do that test:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom