Feature request: Map remote control button to _any_ plugin (1 Viewer)

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I don't have a TV card in my HTPC setup, so I really only use plugins that browse and show media files, like MP TV-Series, Moving Pictures, My Music and My Pictures. This leaves the Recorded TV, TV Schedule, Live TV buttons unused on my remote.

Suggestion: to reduce the amount of clicks on the remote control, instead of having to go to the Basic Home and then scrolling through the menu, being able to map ANY plugin that is installed on a system to a specific button on the physical remote would enable the user to go from say, Moving Pictures directly into Music or MP TV-Series with just one click. AFAIK, you can only map the first party plugins that ships with MediaPortal in the remote section. I don't have a plethora of plugins installed, and being able to reach the ones most commonly used by a single click would really enhance the user experience, don't you think?

Or, is there a way to manually edit the remote mapping file and just insert the plugin ID in the correct place, and I've missed that?

I remember suggesting this feature years ago, and I tried to find that thread, but I couldn't find it. Maybe MediaPortal is ready for this feature now?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    instead of having to go to the Basic Home and then scrolling through the menu, being able to map ANY plugin that is installed on a system to a specific button on the physical remote would enable the user to go from say, Moving Pictures directly into Music or MP TV-Series with just one click.
    There would need to be new actions defined in the remote-control setup. And each action would be specific to one plugin, so not a general solution that would work with any plugin. Meanwhile...

There is an existing action called "MyPlugins" that takes you to the plugins panel. I have only "Tetris" and "Sudoku" installed, but I would assume that other plugins would also be listed on that panel (you may already be aware of this).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi, I'll have a look at MyPlugins, but it would require at least 2 extra clicks on the remote, first to get to MyPlugins, then to browse through (depending on your installed plugins) and finally to select it. A mapped TV Series button would take me straight into the plugin,

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    Isn't this possible now?

• Window - select a Window from the dropdown list - the button will then navigate to that window - see Windows for a list of supported windows and IDs

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Window - select a Window from the dropdown list - the button will then navigate to that window - see Windows for a list of supported windows and IDs
    But just above that, the Wiki says this:

Choosing "Window" you can select from a number of predefined windows. You cannot use Extensions' windows.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom