Finding and installing a compatible skin (1 Viewer)

technoweary

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Hi Folks, I have great succes getting rid of MS Media Center by using MP1 V1.11. Everyting is basically working OK and I want to try a different skin.
    I like the look of Maya but it seems it's only compatible to V1.9.
    Having read the Wiki I decided the best bet was to use MP Extension Manager / Extension Installer, (not sure of the correct title but they are what's downloaded with V1.11 install).
    Problem I am having is that when I update extensions and look for Compatible and Stable skins I see none of the skins from a compatible search of the MP site skin library area, and the three offered in the MPEI do not appear to support V1.11.
    I am a bit uncertain of next best action now and any advice would be most appreciated.
    Cheers

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

Not all (actually quite few) skins are visible in the extension manager. A better approach would be to go the skin download section, have a look at what you fency, download and install manually.

Regards,
    HTPC_Sourcer

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi and welcome to MePo:)

MePo Extention Manager - generally best way for all plugins, your spot on there but not always for skins [as HTPC (y) says].

I see [with Stable & Compatible ticked in View] MayaHD, as well as Apollo, Athena, Avallanche, LCARS & PureVisionHD's, TITANUS & Xtreme - I know ALL work with 1,12 PRE and core plugins + MovingPictures, MPTVSeries & WorldWeather {I'm still with modified Titan - some of the mods being shamelessly ripped from other skins:)

What is listed at 'compatible' versions is updated as per last update point by skin author, so MayaHD is listed at 1.9 but will generally work.

That said, 1,12PRE has features MayaHD will not support [additional detail from TV server], features no longer supported [visualizations - have had to be removed for the moment from MePo] and features not implemented [Analog VU for example] - this is can confirm as I just installed and tested MayaHD :)

Best advise - try it, truly - nothing to loose and nothing to break [really, I play/swap and modifiy my skin on a continuous basis] that you can't fix by reverting to Default or Titan:cool:

As always, advise is post logs [if you have actual issue] and share your config information, see <https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...and-fill-in-system-specs-for-support.118424/>

Cheers - JCMP

technoweary

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi HTPC_Sourcer & JimCatMP and thanks for your very helpful replies.
    I feel much more confident now that I am not going to break many hours of installation!
    Wish I had ditched Media Center many years ago.
    Cheers[DOUBLEPOST=1435489545][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Hi and welcome to MePo:)

MePo Extention Manager - generally best way for all plugins, your spot on there but not always for skins [as HTPC (y) says].

I see [with Stable & Compatible ticked in View] MayaHD, as well as Apollo, Athena, Avallanche, LCARS & PureVisionHD's, TITANUS & Xtreme - I know ALL work with 1,12 PRE and core plugins + MovingPictures, MPTVSeries & WorldWeather {I'm still with modified Titan - some of the mods being shamelessly ripped from other skins:)

Cheers - JCMP

Hi JCMP,
    Just studying your reply and you say 'I see [with Stable & Compatible ticked in View]'.
    Is this via your extension manager application?
    If so I wonder why I am only seeing three skin options.

Last edited:

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Hi

Yep, in Extension Manager.

"Known Extensions" tab, Tags select "all", nothing in filter. Selecting Stable & Compatible in VIEW.

ExtMgr.jpg

Which 3?

Cheers - JCMP

technoweary

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi,
    I have attached a pic of my installer screen withskin selected showing the only results I get.
    MP Media Installer.jpg

Sorry for delay, I have to work on the MP PC which is under the TV.
    It's like going back to the days before remote controls when we had to adopt the "Ar**-Upwards" position kneeling in front of the TV, (showing my age here!).
    I have tried to run configuration by remote desktop but it fails miserably.
    Wish we could run the config applications over the LAN from a desktop.
    Cheers

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Hi

Reason for only 3 skins is you have tags set at skins [just confirmed same myself] most skins don't carry that tag - switch to all and your options increase massively.

Config in remote desktop - no idea why you have issue there, I always manage the main MePo system via RDP - actually update in 1.12 PRE makes that easier [having autostart on login set meant MePo trying to start after I'd made update if I forgot to turn it off again via MSConfig].

That includes MePo itself, MovingPictures and MPTVSeries, all run in RDP session. My RDP session login IS different to the MePo user account - don't know if that helps - MePo runs as player, I manage as manager ID's - both are admins. MePo and management host are Win7 Pro machines [so I can have the termserv hack and run two users at same time:-}

Cheers - J.

technoweary

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks JCMP, working with your information.
    I see what you mean about the Tag switch.
    Going to try MayaHD skin tonight.
    Thanks again for your advice, it's much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom