Freesat tuner not picking up all channels? (1 Viewer)

Printerman101

Portal Pro
April 5, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all,

had Mediaportal running for almost two years and its been fantastic.

Using a Freesat card.

Recently i've had a few issues pop up.

Travel channel not working but travel channel +1 works fine? Its listed but has no signal.

BBC Three HD and Four HD are available on freesat but the channels are not listed. I've found the actual channel number they are broadcast on but they are just not there (thought they might be under unknown). BBE One and Two HD are working fine and have been since first broadcast.

Can anyone help??

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Printerman101

Portal Pro
    April 5, 2012
    Home Country
    You are quite right about the BBC 3 and 4. I actually had to do the same thing on the SD launch but forgot!

I've switched on log file to debug but i cant seem to get it to create one on the desk top when going to the travel channel. I guess its not technically an error as it just says no signal but as i've said TC+1 works?! Strange.

I have a bunch of log files but not sure quite which one the error might be in......can someone help?

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You are quite right about the BBC 3 and 4. I actually had to do the same thing on the SD launch but forgot!
    Easy to forget. :)
    So, sorted?

I've switched on log file to debug but i cant seem to get it to create one on the desk top when going to the travel channel. I guess its not technically an error as it just says no signal but as i've said TC+1 works?! Strange.
    According to kingofsat:
    http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

...TC and TC +1 are on different transponders, so this doesn't surprise me.

I have a bunch of log files but not sure quite which one the error might be in......can someone help?
    Sorry, none of the log files you've provided are helpful.
    Assuming you're running MP and TV Server on the same PC:
    1. Start MP with the watchdog tool, option 1 (watchdog/debug-mode link should be in the Team MediaPortal folder in your start menu).
    2. Go to the TV section and try to view TC.
    3. Close MediaPortal.
    The zip file should now be on your desktop.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    So, it looks like the tuning details for that channel are incorrect. Maybe it moved recently?

Current details:
    frequency = 12560 kHz
    symbol rate = 27500 ks/s
    polarisation = vertical
    modulation = not set (DVB-S QPSK)
    FEC rate = 2/3
    pilot = not set
    roll-off = not set
    network ID = 2
    transport ID = 2602
    service ID = 54102
    PMT PID = 268

Correct details (taken from kingofsat):
    frequency = 12552 kHz
    symbol rate = 22000 ks/s
    polarisation = vertical
    modulation = not set (DVB-S QPSK)
    FEC rate = 5/6
    pilot = not set
    roll-off = not set
    network ID = 2
    transport ID = 2076
    service ID = 54102
    PMT PID = 268

Note: you may have other channels with incorrect tuning details. They can be corrected by rescanning or checking details against kingofsat.

Printerman101

Portal Pro
    April 5, 2012
    Home Country
    Hi

I did a scan a few days ago to pick up BBC 3 and 4 in HD but i've done a fresh scan again and still doesn't work. How can it pick up the wrong tuning details? I don't understand that.

One other thing which i dont understand. If a channel is listed (and shown in green which i think means not scrambled) why can't i watch it?

Just to check....which sat should i be tuning to in the UK?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I did a scan a few days ago to pick up BBC 3 and 4 in HD but i've done a fresh scan again and still doesn't work. How can it pick up the wrong tuning details? I don't understand that.
    I'm not saying the scan is picking up the wrong details. I can't say that from the information provided. All I can say is that the channel appears to have the wrong details. If you want me to investigate further then I'm going to need an export of your channels (import/export section of TV Server configuration) and the log files from the scan.

One other thing which i dont understand. If a channel is listed (and shown in green which i think means not scrambled)...
    Yes, in TV Server configuration green dots meen not encrypted and red dots mean encrypted. Note we are aware of some limitations with TV Server's ability to determine whether a channel is encrypted or not.

... why can't i watch it?
    I'm sorry I'm not able to answer without log files. TV Server mostly just works. When it doesn't, I need log files in order to be able to investigate.

If any channel - either encrypted or not encrypted - is not working when you think it should be working, please grab and post log files as you've done above and I'll be happy to investigate. That goes for anybody reading this thread. In most cases issues like this boil down to incorrect channel details or tuner configuration... but TV Server is not bug-free.

Just to check....which sat should i be tuning to in the UK?
    I don't think there is a "should" answer to this question. Lots of satellites can be received from the UK. The one (or more) you choose to point your dish at is completely up to you. Presumably you'd point your dish at the satellite which broadcasts the most channels you want to receive. As I understand it, most English speaking people in the UK go for the Astra satellites at 28.2E (which is what your dish already appears to be pointed at) because that is where the Freesat channels are broadcast from... but again, it is completely up to you. No right or wrong answer.

Printerman101

Portal Pro
    April 5, 2012
    Home Country
    Hi thanks for the help so far!

I hope these log files tell you something?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks... though I'm not sure what you're asking me to look at here.

In relation to the Travel Channel issue...
    I can see you've done a full scan, and that the Travel Channel is picked up with correct details as expected:
    [2014-02-12 18:05:12,376] [Log ] [20 ] [INFO ] - 0) 0x2 0x81C 0xD356 0x10C Travel Channel type:1
    [2014-02-12 18:05:12,376] [Log ] [20 ] [INFO ] - Found: DVBS:tv:BSkyB Travel Channel Freq:12552000 ONID:2 TSID:2076 SID:54102 PMT:0x10C FTA:True LCN:10000 SymbolRate:22000 Modulation:ModNotSet Polarisation:LinearV InnerFecRate:Rate5_6 DisEqc:None band:Universal Pilot:NotSet RollOff:NotSet

However, since you didn't provide the requested channel export I still can't tell you why it is not working. My suspicion is that you may have multiple tuning details linked to that channel with only some of the details actually correct... but I can't prove that. The alternative possibility is that TV Server has linked the tuning details for Travel Channel with some other channel that for all intents and purposes looks identical... but I can't prove that either without the channel export.

In relation to the "if a channel is listed, why can't I watch it?" question...
    I'm not sure if you were referring to Travel Channel or some other channel. I can't see any attempt to timeshift or record any channels so not sure how to progress this question.

In summary: please provide the previously requested channel list export if you want me to investigate the Travel Channel issue further. Also, if your question "...why can't I watch it?" was about some channel(s) other than the Travel Channel then please name those channel(s) and provide log files showing attempts to tune said channel(s).

Please understand I'm not trying to be difficult or picky. At this point I literally just don't have enough information to be able to assist further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom