Freeze after standby and crash on playback problems with 1.8 (1 Viewer)

slikvik

Portal Pro
May 8, 2006
I have two problems that seem to be occurring a lot more frequently with 1.8. Sometimes I wake from standby and MP will just be frozen. The other issue is that I go to select a film to play and it just bombs back to desktop, BUT MP is still running as a task and I can't click on any desktop icons as MP still seems to have focus (it's not in taskbar though).

This morning, I woke up, turned on MP and it was frozen on the guide. Dialled in, restarted the PC, went to play the a movie for the kids and it bombed to desktop. This is the log I've attached.

As you can see from the error log I have errors going back weeks with either threading issues, skin issues or nullreference issues. Please help, the wife is getting to the point that she just wants a 'smart' TV instead. :(

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Looks like your Intel GPU drivers are having or causing problems:
    "26/07/2014 08:31:56";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "26/07/2014 08:31:56";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"

That's right at the time MP "bombed to desktop".

Same thing last night:
    "25/07/2014 22:50:21";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "25/07/2014 22:50:21";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"

And at lunch time yesterday:
    "25/07/2014 12:59:37";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "25/07/2014 12:59:39";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "25/07/2014 12:59:39";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"

And a couple of days ago:
    "23/07/2014 14:13:24";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "23/07/2014 14:13:26";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "23/07/2014 14:13:26";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"

MP may not survive GPU driver recovery, successful or otherwise.
    In the first instance I'd suggest to check with Intel for GPU driver updates.
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=&ProductID=3319&ProdId=3319

If the update doesn't help I'd not know what else to suggest except hope somebody else has some better insights.

slikvik

Portal Pro
    May 8, 2006
    Thanks for that. Interesting that this particular issue has only started manifesting since 1.8.

Any idea why the system hangs resuming from standby from the logs? This issue has been going on and off since I started using MePo on this PC back at 1.2.

Thanks.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Any idea why the system hangs resuming from standby from the logs?
    It isn't 100% clear, at least to me. However my assumption is that the GPU drivers are involved there again.

This issue has been going on and off since I started using MePo on this PC back at 1.2.
    As above: I can't tell you with certainty that the GPU and/or devices connected via HDMI are the cause, or that the problems couldn't be fixed by changing MP's code. However I've seen more than enough similar reports of problems with Intel GPUs to have suspicions that it is something related to that.

slikvik

Portal Pro
    May 8, 2006
    Thanks for looking into it for me. I'll have a play around with drivers and see what happens.

Brudertac

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2006
    Augsburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I also have the Issue that MP hangs sometimes after Resume. (And i also use an Intel HD Graphics)

My theory is that it is important to turn on the devices in the right order. (Connected via HDMI)
    In my case a AV-Receiver and a TV are involved. Yesterday i have changed the Order and will see if that helps.

slikvik

Portal Pro
    May 8, 2006
    That would be great. I've also had a suspicion it was something like this, however lots of work went into the standby problems in a recent version (1.6 I think) and it really seems to cut down the amount of occurrences. It seems to have increased with 1.8, but of course this is all just anecdotal. :)

I am also going from Intel -> hdmi - Amp -> hdmi -> TV.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I also have the Issue that MP hangs sometimes after Resume. (And i also use an Intel HD Graphics)
    1+

Homescreen is visible but no reaction to remote or keyboard. What works is to press the Windows key on the keyboard and for example start the MePo configuration to bring up the MePo kill dialogue. If this was a simple Windows driver issue, it should not be possible to call any other entry in the start menu. @mm1352000 is correct though in assuming a connection between MePo and the Intel drivers because the problem occurs only on one particular PC with new hardware (H97 chipset), while another desktop and a notebook have not been showing anything like this after upgrading to MePo 1.8.

I don't believe it has anything to do with the startup sequence of receiver and TV, which is still the same as before.

regards,
    HTPC_Sourcer

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If this was a simple Windows driver issue, it should not be possible to call any other entry in the start menu.
    In order to resume successfully MP has to be able to understand/interpret/handle the sequence of HDMI device disconnect/connect messages delivered by Windows. My understanding is that the source of the triggers for these messages is the GPU driver. That is why I'm pointing the finger in that direction.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    And that's what I wrote in the next sentence, didn't I?

P.S.: Latest Intel driver is installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom