Hauppauge HD-PVR & Colossus Support (5 Viewers)

AncientYoof

Portal Member
November 25, 2013
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Hi Guys

I have dabbled in the HTPC world on and off for many years and recently I decided to put together a HTPC so my son (aged 6) can have easy access to his stored movies and music etc by way of a Harmony remote control

I have the system set up quite nicely and its all working well etc

I also happen to have a HD PVR which I have installed and I can pick up the picture and audio from my set top box which is a Virgin media V+ box here in the UK, I can record stuff from it and will mainly use the PVR to take stuff from it that I have already recorded on it manually.

My long winded question is I would like to have the Virgin V+ channels show up in the EPG but clearly MPortal only sees one channel

How would I go about getting the guide to show all the channels for the V+ box/

Its not a total deal breaker but I could set MP to turn on and record shows directly from the STB which would be useful

many thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome AncientYoof :)

The HD-PVR can't "scan" like a regular tuner, so you'd have to find a way of importing or creating the channels. Many people in the US and Canada use the SchedulesDirect plugin for this. You could also use the import/export functionality in TV Server configuration. The exported file is an XML file... which is to say that you can edit it in any text editor. With a bit of copy and paste, you can create the channels that way much quicker than you probably could through the user interface.

Its not a total deal breaker but I could set MP to turn on and record shows directly from the STB which would be useful
    People do this. They feed the STB output into their HTPC with an HD-PVR or similar, and use an IR blaster or some other means to have MP control the STB. The STB becomes like an external tuner card. Complex to setup, but it can be done.

mm

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hello and welcome AncientYoof :)

The HD-PVR can't "scan" like a regular tuner, so you'd have to find a way of importing or creating the channels. Many people in the US and Canada use the SchedulesDirect plugin for this. You could also use the import/export functionality in TV Server configuration. The exported file is an XML file... which is to say that you can edit it in any text editor. With a bit of copy and paste, you can create the channels that way much quicker than you probably could through the user interface.

People do this. They feed the STB output into their HTPC with an HD-PVR or similar, and use an IR blaster or some other means to have MP control the STB. The STB becomes like an external tuner card. Complex to setup, but it can be done.

mm

Yes the complex to setup is VERY true. Adjust your mental state accordingly :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Here are the screenshots. Let me know if you need anything else.
    Thanks. :)
    I must admit, it wasn't quite what I was expecting. I thought there'd be something like this:
    http://www.techlifeweb.com/art/g4.png

Do you know which driver version you're running?
    Were there any other choices in the WDM streaming encoder devices category?

rspierenburg

Portal Pro
    June 18, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Were there any other choices in the WDM streaming encoder devices category?

Yup, there were quite a few different ones actually. Here is the screenshots for "WDM Streaming Capture Device". Let me know if this one is closer to what you expected. The first screenshot is similar to your posted image.

Rob

Attachments

• HD-PVR Rev.zip
      2.3 MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom