Hauppauge HD-PVR & Colossus Support (3 Viewers)

vincewarde

Portal Member
March 28, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
OK one of three things has happened:

1) The HDMI Input on my Colossus has died
2) My HDMI cable has "gone bad" - (doubtful, but possible)
3) Directv has encrypted their HDMI signal

Why do I say this? Well my HDMI has no signal, and my component video works fine. That's right, changing to component video fixed the problem.

So, if you're recording off a Directv box and can't get a signal on HDMI, try component - it might work.

Bad cable has been ruled out.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    My pick is for (3). I thought DirecTV had always had HDCP on the output of their boxes. It is a requirement for the premium channels like HBO, and I wouldn't have thought the HDMI handshaking would add/remove HDCP on channel change (ergo the digital output would always be protected).

dotsy

July 16, 2014
    Home Country
    France France
    hello I have a colossus for some time the tiny encoder has diparu archsoft in showbiz despite having reinstller the driver he can not believe it so I just not adjust the bitrate of my caputre

140630105725219026.png

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I remember that I've had this problem to. The only way I found to get the bitrate part was to completely reinstall Windows. After that everything went well.

dotsy

July 16, 2014
    Home Country
    France France
    I remember that I've had this problem to. The only way I found to get the bitrate part was to completely reinstall Windows. After that everything went well.
    thank you my brother because I reinstall your win8 and I found the menu flow against I install the version on my dvd arcsoft the 3.5.17.78 there is another version?

benicehavefun

Portal Member
    September 12, 2014
    Home Country
    I'm in the process of transitioning from WMC7 to MediaPortal 1.8.0 and have run into a couple of issues I could use some input on...

My current configuration is running with just one active "tuner" at the moment, which is an HD-PVR connected to a DirecTV H24. I'm in the USA, and am running the SchedulesDirect, DirecTV SHEF and TVServerXBMC Plugins. I'm using both MediaPortal and XBMC as clients -- MediaPortal on my HTPC for primary TV viewing, and XBMC on a RaspberryPi in the bedroom. Generally I'm very pleased with how this setup is working, with the following exceptions:

When I first power up the HTPC and start watching live TV, the audio will drift out of sync within the first 10-15 minutes. By pressing the "res" button on the front of my H24 and cycling through 1080p, 480i, 480p, 720p and back to 1080i I can get the audio back in sync. Best I can tell so far, video and audio will remain synchronized from then on until the HD-PVR (and HTPC) are powered down or rebooted.

My second item is that when watching live TV, and a recording begins, I'm getting no warning -- the live image simply freezes. Given that I only have one HD-PVR this is expected, but I'm surprised that I'm not getting any sort of onscreen dialog beforehand. In WMC7 in this same situation, I'd be warned of the need to re-purpose the live tuner and the channel would be changed to the one required for the recording.

Loving MediaPortal so far! I'm planning to get a Hauppauge Colossus (or possibly another HD-PVR) to go with my HDHomeRuns (not yet added), once I get this stripped down setup running well.

Thanks.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome (...and nice handle)! :)

When I first power up the HTPC and start watching live TV, the audio will drift out of sync within the first 10-15 minutes. By pressing the "res" button on the front of my H24 and cycling through 1080p, 480i, 480p, 720p and back to 1080i I can get the audio back in sync. Best I can tell so far, video and audio will remain synchronized from then on until the HD-PVR (and HTPC) are powered down or rebooted.
    This is almost certainly outside the control of MediaPortal and TV Server.
    How do you connect audio from the H24 to the HD-PVR - S/PDIF/Toslink or stereo RCA?
    Does this only happen with certain channels... for example, only channels with an AC3/DD audio track... or all channels?

If I were you I'd raise this issue with Hauppauge support.

My second item is that when watching live TV, and a recording begins, I'm getting no warning -- the live image simply freezes. Given that I only have one HD-PVR this is expected, but I'm surprised that I'm not getting any sort of onscreen dialog beforehand. In WMC7 in this same situation, I'd be warned of the need to re-purpose the live tuner and the channel would be changed to the one required for the recording.
    This is a known MediaPortal issue:
    https://issues.team-mediaportal.com/browse/MP1-3385

We'd appreciate it if you could post your log files and let us know when this last happened to you (ie. date and time), because when the team tried to reproduce this issue a couple of months ago we were unsuccessful.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

Loving MediaPortal so far! I'm planning to get a Hauppauge Colossus (or possibly another HD-PVR) to go with my HDHomeRuns (not yet added), once I get this stripped down setup running well.
    Two cautions which you may appreciate:
    1. The Colossus can't handle HDCP protected HDMI inputs. I suspect DirecTV have enabled HDCP on the HDMI outputs of their STBs, so if you intend to get a Colossus and connect a second STB via HDMI then you may need a way to strip the HDCP.

2. If you get another Colossus or HD-PVR you may have problems integrating it if the configuration - in particular channel numbers and connections - are not identical to the first HD-PVR. This is a TV Server limitation. Knowing the limitations as I do, if I were you I'd get a second HD-PVR and identical STB. Either that or get two Colossuses/Colossae and sell your original HD-PVR.

Regards,
    mm

benicehavefun

Portal Member
    September 12, 2014
    Home Country
    Hello and welcome (...and nice handle)! :)

This is almost certainly outside the control of MediaPortal and TV Server.

Makes sense, although I didn't have this audio sync issue when using my HD-PVR with WMC7. I was running this same HD-PVR using Hauppauge's Windows Media Center "Software Tuner" addin. The Hauppauge driver was the same too. Also, I haven't had this happen using Hauppauge's standalone Capture program.

How do you connect audio from the H24 to the HD-PVR - S/PDIF/Toslink or stereo RCA?

Stereo RCA

Does this only happen with certain channels... for example, only channels with an AC3/DD audio track... or all channels?

Good question. So far it's only happened on whatever HD channel I happen to be watching shortly after powering on my equipment. I read a post where someone had a similar issue, and they concluded that the initial framerate of the capture was off (29.97fps vs 30fps in their case) and that was causing the audio drift. Cycling the receiver through the various resolutions would force the HD-PVR to do the same, but with the correct framerate being captured after one loop-through. Since I'm fixing my receiver output at 1080i, perhaps there's a way to force the initial capture parameters on the HD-PVR?

If I were you I'd raise this issue with Hauppauge support.

It's certainly worth a shot!

This is a known MediaPortal issue:
    https://issues.team-mediaportal.com/browse/MP1-3385

We'd appreciate it if you could post your log files and let us know when this last happened to you (ie. date and time), because when the team tried to reproduce this issue a couple of months ago we were unsuccessful.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files.

Power is out here at the moment (too any A/C units running I think!), but I'll post as soon as I can.

Two cautions which you may appreciate:
    1. The Colossus can't handle HDCP protected HDMI inputs. I suspect DirecTV have enabled HDCP on the HDMI outputs of their STBs, so if you intend to get a Colossus and connect a second STB via HDMI then you may need a way to strip the HDCP.

2. If you get another Colossus or HD-PVR you may have problems integrating it if the configuration - in particular channel numbers and connections - are not identical to the first HD-PVR. This is a TV Server limitation. Knowing the limitations as I do, if I were you I'd get a second HD-PVR and identical STB. Either that or get two Colossuses/Colossae and sell your original HD-PVR.

I had it in my head that the Colossus was a dual capture device, but I see now that it's not. Another original HD-PVR it is then...

Thanks for the quick and informative reply!

Scott

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom