Hauppauge HD-PVR & Colossus Support (4 Viewers)

benicehavefun

Portal Member
September 12, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
no problem here

Thanks for letting me know it wasn't a forum host problem. Some regional Internet weirdness I guess, because I was able to remote into a system in the Central U.S., download the zip file there and then download it to mine in the Pacific Northwest. Anyway, I have it now...

Cheers.

benicehavefun

Portal Member
September 12, 2014
Home Country
OK, I'm attaching my logs as requested. Here are the steps I followed:

Can you upgrade your setup with attached installer? The installer based on the 1.9 Final (it is stable and is under our internal testing). I added some new debug log to help me understand if what happened.

Please install it and repeate your test. You will be able to upgrade any other MP versions from this build.

thx

Well, we're getting somewhere now!

I downloaded the 1.9.0 installer and went through the same steps of setting up a recording (12:51 Castle on TNT), tuning to live tv (12:53 Guitar Center Sessions on Audience Network) and waiting for the recording to start. This time, at 12:59 I received a pop-up dialog "Timeshift buffer stopped due to scheduled recording" and was returned to the "TV" menu. Perfect!

However, since I had changed the DirecTV SHEF plugin item "Power receivers on and off as required" to solve my other problem (back-to-back recordings being cut-off on the second recording at the end of the first recording's "post-record" time), I went back and re-enabled the SHEF item. Testing again by setting a recording (1:06 South Park on Comedy Central), tuning live tv (1:07 Two and a Half Men on FXX) and waiting. Once again, the live TV image simply froze, with no pop-up or graceful exit to the menu.

So, apparently, having "Power receivers on and off as required" in the DirecTV SHEF plugin is responsible for both of my issues.

Logs attached.

Thanks.

benicehavefun

Portal Member
September 12, 2014
Home Country
OK, I'm attaching my logs as requested. Here are the steps I followed:

Can you upgrade your setup with attached installer? The installer based on the 1.9 Final (it is stable and is under our internal testing). I added some new debug log to help me understand if what happened.

Please install it and repeate your test. You will be able to upgrade any other MP versions from this build.

thx

Regeszter -

Anything special required to revert from this pre-release version of 1.9 back to 1.8.0? I'm having trouble getting MPExtended and WebMediaPortal up-and-running on the build you sent me. I've successfully installed it on two test systems, both running 1.8.0. I'm hoping I can revert my live system to that release without losing any of my settings...

Scott

randome

October 9, 2014
Home Country
Austria Austria
Hi.
I managed to set up the colossus with blasting through the hauppauge software and switching channels through mp works.
but is there a way to do macros, instead of just channel numbers, as I use it for recording?

The problem is, the hauppauge software I had to use a code that doesn't really give me any options (my receiver is not listed).
But basically, when a recording starts it should:
- Power on the device (for goodness is a button that only does that on the remote).
- Switch channel
- change sound to digital (unfortunatly big cable provider have crappy boxes they force you to use) - it's not doing it automatically.

This way I can be sure, that recordings are done with digital audio.

But important is the first Power on issue.

I tried to get something running with IRSS, but seems with MP 1.9 it's not working, at least I couldn't do anything with it or just was to dump configuring it ;)

Any help appreciated, a little hard to dig through everything but thanks to a post in this thread (like 100 pages earlier) I found a way to get at least channel switching working.

One other problem but Hauppauge related:
Learning doesn't seem to work. Anyone any clue why not. Tried different remotes and I am not sure if it's not a hauppauge blasterconfig problem, as using it remote within MP works, and blasting works at least with channel numbers...

Thanks
Patrick

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Patrick :)

...but is there a way to do macros, instead of just channel numbers, as I use it for recording?
    I can say with 100% confidence that the ServerBlaster plugin cannot do macros. The IRSS TVE 3 Blaster plugin can configure macros, but I have no idea how you'd actually trigger them.
    Having said that, AFAIK the Hauppauge blaster control interface is only capable of sending digits 0 to 9, ./- and power. I'm not sure how you'd configure any useful macros if you're limited to those buttons.

In short: I'm 99.9% sure you cannot do macros with the Hauppauge blaster. It might be possible with other blasters.

The problem is, the hauppauge software I had to use a code that doesn't really give me any options (my receiver is not listed).
    I don't understand why the fact that your receiver is not listed is a problem. Many receivers can be learnt.
    The bigger problem is probably that the Hauppauge BlastCfg can't learn the buttons that you need.

- Power on the device (for goodness is a button that only does that on the remote).
    - Switch channel
    To be clear: these are possible with the Hauppauge blaster and ServerBlaster plugin.
    In Hauppauge IRBlast BlastCfg you need to find or learn codes for your set top box, and ensure "send power on before channel" is ticked.
    You have that working, right?

- change sound to digital (unfortunatly big cable provider have crappy boxes they force you to use) - it's not doing it automatically.
    When you say "digital" I assume you mean Dolby Digital (AKA AC3) 5.1 channel audio?
    You know that the Colossus only supports DD/AC3 audio as "pass-through", right? In other words, you can only record DD/AC3 when the set top box is connected via HDMI or S/PDIF, and the set top box is actually delivering DD/AC3 audio. Some channels may not have DD/AC3 audio. For them you'd get 2 channel AAC audio.

Are you sure there is no way to configure the set top box to automatically prefer DD/AC3 audio? In my opinion that's your best chance of solving this problem.

Keep the above limitations in mind:
    • the Colossus only supports DD/AC3 pass-through...
    • ...when audio is connected via HDMI or S/PDIF...
    • and the channel actually has a DD/AC3 track/stream

I don't understand. You're going to need to describe this problem in more detail.

I tried to get something running with IRSS, but seems with MP 1.9 it's not working, at least I couldn't do anything with it or just was to dump configuring it ;)
    Even though IRSS supports macros, I'm 99% sure it won't help you due to the Hauppauge blaster limitations.

Learning doesn't seem to work. Anyone any clue why not. Tried different remotes and I am not sure if it's not a hauppauge blasterconfig problem, as using it remote within MP works, and blasting works at least with channel numbers...
    Read the manual! ;)
    http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/manuals/qi-ir_blaster-7.pdf

If you receive a LearnKey(key#) Failed error, this means that the key was either held down too long, or not long enough, or that the remote was not held close enough to the IR Sensor. Try again.

Having said that, note that some remotes simply can't be learned and/or are not compatible with the blaster.

Regards,
    mm

randome

October 9, 2014
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi,

thanks for your detailed answers!

Hello and welcome Patrick :)

...but is there a way to do macros, instead of just channel numbers, as I use it for recording?
    I can say with 100% confidence that the ServerBlaster plugin cannot do macros. The IRSS TVE 3 Blaster plugin can configure macros, but I have no idea how you'd actually trigger them.
    Having said that, AFAIK the Hauppauge blaster control interface is only capable of sending digits 0 to 9, ./- and power. I'm not sure how you'd configure any useful macros if you're limited to those buttons.

In short: I'm 99.9% sure you cannot do macros with the Hauppauge blaster. It might be possible with other blasters.

I don't understand why the fact that your receiver is not listed is a problem. Many receivers can be learnt.
    The bigger problem is probably that the Hauppauge BlastCfg can't learn the buttons that you need.

- Switch channel
    To be clear: these are possible with the Hauppauge blaster and ServerBlaster plugin.
    In Hauppauge IRBlast BlastCfg you need to find or learn codes for your set top box, and ensure "send power on before channel" is ticked.
    You have that working, right?

The "power on before channel" unfortunatly is greyed out once I set code 109, that works with the receiver.

When you say "digital" I assume you mean Dolby Digital (AKA AC3) 5.1 channel audio?
    You know that the Colossus only supports DD/AC3 audio as "pass-through", right? In other words, you can only record DD/AC3 when the set top box is connected via HDMI or S/PDIF, and the set top box is actually delivering DD/AC3 audio. Some channels may not have DD/AC3 audio. For them you'd get 2 channel AAC audio.

Are you sure there is no way to configure the set top box to automatically prefer DD/AC3 audio? In my opinion that's your best chance of solving this problem.

Well, unfortunatly it is right and even confirmed by the cable provider. I read an old reply years back where they also answered, it's technically not possible. That this is nonsence I don't have to tell, but you stick with this box as the cam is limited to this box either. Also I only need all this, as they have a so smal harddrive added, that like 20 recordings fill it up, with no way to extend the hdd, no external, nothing. My problem was upgrading the internet speed, and then I was forced to the new box and can't use the Technotrend USB DVB-C Receiver anymore, which I have to admit I used many years with DVBViewer and Recording Service and was used to schedule via browser, watch via upnp to any device. Now stuck with 1 TV connected to this crappy box trying to do something similar...

About audio, yes, it's connected via HDMI and as there is a splitter, at my audio receiver it's digital. But I am new to MP, so might be anything here or as you wrote that colossus can't handle it anyway. The HDMI Output from the graphic card shows 5.1 and more. But yes, this is something I will adress later. First I try if I get it to work with the colossus as long as in worst case I could return it. But I didn't find any other appropriate solution, at least no hardware that can automatically record. Manual yes, but with MP I get EPG elsewhere, and then can do automatic schedules, so I am in good faith ;)

Keep the above limitations in mind:
    the Colossus only supports DD/AC3 pass-through..
    ...when audio is connected via HDMI or S/PDIF...
    and the channel actually has a DD/AC3 track/stream

I don't understand. You're going to need to describe this problem in more detail.

Well, the receiver has a button called by the cable provider name. This button turns the box on. If this button is learned as power an, and I actually could tell the blaster to send it each time, it would work. The real Power Button just turns it off.

Even though IRSS supports macros, I'm 99% sure it won't help you due to the Hauppauge blaster limitations.

Read the manual! ;)
    http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/manuals/qi-ir_blaster-7.pdf

If you receive a LearnKey(key#) Failed error, this means that the key was either held down too long, or not long enough, or that the remote was not held close enough to the IR Sensor. Try again.

Having said that, note that some remotes simply can't be learned and/or are not compatible with the blaster.

Regards,
    mm

Yep, I read that already, but thanks for pointing it out. I tried 4 different remotes, onkyo, the haupauge itself, samsung, from the box, thus I don't believe it's remote related. I tried farther away, very close, a little away, pressing short, long, many times, not so many times. Odd, but I might just ask Hauppauge, if they can tell anything about that. First I thought it's hardware related, but as the blaster and receiver works, I doubt that.

I got the colossus as it seems the only solution of that kind that is compatible with MP. Sure I could get another blaster, if nothing else helps, unless you have another recommendation on hardware, but on MP's page only 2 Hauppauge are listed as compatible, also the newer model isn't listed, which wouldn't have a blaster anyway.

Thanks for your great answer.
    Patrick

[edit: I fixed the quotes.]

Last edited by a moderator:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Patrick

The "power on before channel" unfortunatly is greyed out once I set code 109, that works with the receiver.
    Hmmm, well you might have to ask Hauppauge about that. My guess is maybe they don't have the power on/off code for that code set... but that shouldn't stop you from learning the power code unless that particular code is "special" and/or somehow incompatible with the blaster.

Well, unfortunatly it is right and even confirmed by the cable provider.
    If that is the case then I'm sorry, I have no other suggestion for you.

Yep, I read that already, but thanks for pointing it out. I tried 4 different remotes, onkyo, the haupauge itself, samsung, from the box, thus I don't believe it's remote related. I tried farther away, very close, a little away, pressing short, long, many times, not so many times. Odd, but I might just ask Hauppauge, if they can tell anything about that. First I thought it's hardware related, but as the blaster and receiver works, I doubt that.
    I have never owned a blaster let alone a Colossus or HD-PVR, so I can't offer any better advice than the manual. All that I have read is that the remote needs to be as close as possible to the receiver, and you need to hold the button down. As the manual says:
    Hold the remote control from your set top box as close to the IR receiver and learn sensor as possible.
    Then depress and hold the corresponding key on your set top box remote control. You will be instructed in the message box when to release the key on your remote control.

I got the colossus as it seems the only solution of that kind that is compatible with MP.
    For TVE 3 this is true. For TVE 3.5 (MP2 Native TV) this will change.
    ...but really, the Colossus itself is not the problem. No need to throw out the Colossus just because of issues with the blaster. If the problem is the blaster then the solution might involve getting a different blaster.

Sure I could get another blaster, if nothing else helps, unless you have another recommendation on hardware
    Yes, you could try a third party blaster such as a USB-UIRT or MCE-compatible transceiver with IRSS and the IRSS TVE 3 Blaster plugin. I cannot guarantee that it will work, but it is the only option that I can think of which has the possibility of working.

...but on MP's page only 2 Hauppauge are listed as compatible, also the newer model isn't listed, which wouldn't have a blaster anyway.
    That page only lists tuners/cards, not blasters. The Colossus is as good as any other card. Any other card would have the same limitations unless you get a different blaster.
    By the way, the newer model has a patch to make it work:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/hdpvr2-dish-network-mediaportal-and-me.121130/

Regards,
    mm

fuzzy100fuzzy

Portal Member
    February 26, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello Together,

sorry for my English :eek:

I have a problem with my Colossus. Sometimes after Standby the IR-Blast don't work. Restart the IR with Hauppauge "Restart IR" dont work.
    The only way bring to work the IR-Balster is when i start the "BlastCFG" and close the "BlastCFG"

Can someone help me with this Problem?

Using: MediaPortal 1.9

Thanks and regards
    Markus

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom