Hauppauge HD-PVR & Colossus Support (3 Viewers)

spachti

Portal Pro
July 27, 2005
Bible Belt
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Yes, you can record on component with the colossus. I have two of 'em working in my server. You have to switch the video in to YRYBY input 1 and set your audio in accordingly.
Regarding your logs I will leave that to MM, he might already be all over them right now :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    1. Everything works fine when I take the hdmi directly from the stb to the tv.
    Presumably that's because:
    1. The output from the STB is HDCP-protected.
    2. The TV supports HDCP.
    4. Now when the HDMI goes to Colossus and then to the TV it is as if every channel is encrypted and I get the same message as I had received from ESPN. As a result, I cannot record anything currently.
    Presumably that's because the Colossus doesn't support HDCP as has already been mentioned.

5. Also, I just get a blank screen when trying to play previously recorded content.
    Pass. The log files don't show you attempting to play a recording.

6. And finaly, I am getting a message that HcwHelper is not running and I do not know how to fix that.
    HcwHelper relates to your remote control. The log files don't show any indications of problems with it. Closing and reopening MP should start HcwHelper.

[edit: I should say that overall, I don't really understand what David is trying to achieve. From the log files it appears like live TV is working...]

David Abineri

Portal Pro
    July 19, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks mm. Yes the remote is working so we are ok there. Also, previous recordings are ok, I was mistaken.

Since my system has been working for 2 years until yesterday, I guess I would need to know why the Colossus suddenly stopped processing HDCP Is there a setting for this somewhere that I have not seen?

So what I am trying to achieve is getting my system back to the way it was yesterday instead of suddenly getting a message on every channel that my TV cannot accept the encrypted signal from Colossus.

I hope I have described this all as I see it.

Thanks again for all the help.

Dave[DOUBLEPOST=1436489273][/DOUBLEPOST]Spachti, Where are these audio and video setting that need to be changed for Component Recording? In WinTV or the TV server?

Many thanks, Dave

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Since my system has been working for 2 years until yesterday, I guess I would need to know why the Colossus suddenly stopped processing HDCP Is there a setting for this somewhere that I have not seen?
    You're looking at this the wrong way. The Colossus has never had the ability to process HDCP. You should be asking what DirecTV have changed to make the STB HDMI output incompatible with the Colossus.

So what I am trying to achieve is getting my system back to the way it was yesterday instead of suddenly getting a message on every channel that my TV cannot accept the encrypted signal from Colossus.
    If DirecTV have enabled HDCP then you have no option but to switch from HDMI to component connections from STB to Colossus and from Colossus to TV (because the Colossus HDMI output is only pass-through).

[edit: If I were you, the first thing I would have done is reboot the PC to make sure the Colossus driver or hardware hasn't got itself in a tizz. Beyond that, I'd be swapping to component connections and/or calling DirecTV and Hauppauge.]

David Abineri

Portal Pro
    July 19, 2011
    Home Country
    mm, You were right on target again! DirecTV made a change on their system last night without telling anyone so I wasted most of the day assuming it was my equipment causing the problem. Thanks again, Dave

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    Spachti, Where are these audio and video setting that need to be changed for Component Recording? In WinTV or the TV server?

You will have to change it in MP server. And make sure the win-tv application is not running since this could stop the card in MP. You would then get the "no free card available" message.

For the basics on how to do the editing in the channel section, please refer to the first posting in this thread.
    Especially this part in the wiki:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...guration/03_TV_Channels/Add_or_Edit_a_Channel
    Yep, a LOT to read LOL.

Last edited:

David Abineri

Portal Pro
    July 19, 2011
    Home Country
    Spachti, I am sure I am blind but I cannot find a choice for COMPONENT vs HDMI input for the Colossus. I find it in WinTV which I thought was the way to setup the Colossus but not in the MP TV Server.

Also, I am not sure if I need to edit the TV Channels or what choices I would make (DVB-C,DVB-S etc). All my channels are still visible in the MP TV Server.

Thanks for your help with this change from HDMI to Component. Dave

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Spachti, I am sure I am blind but I cannot find a choice for COMPONENT vs HDMI input for the Colossus. I find it in WinTV which I thought was the way to setup the Colossus but not in the MP TV Server.
    The setting for "component" vs. "HDMI" in TV Server is a tuning detail (channel) setting. In other words, to change from HDMI to component you would generally have to edit every channel. Refer to video source in the screenshot below:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...s/Add_or_Edit_a_Channel#Analog_tuning_details

The "meaning" of each video source option is given in the first post of this thread.

The situation is different if you're using the SchedulesDirect plugin.

davidpmays

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2010
    Home Country
    I went through this a few years ago. When I first started with MediaPortal I had component cables for all my equipment. I moved from OVA to a cable connection and it would not display any channel, even though I paid for the rights to view it, over component. So, I upgraded everything to HDMI. Then, I ran into problems with distribution because I use a projector in my media room and TV's in other areas of my home. The cable equipment balked at my 1-4 HDMI splitter. It also, balked with I replaced my component Hardman-Karman with a Denon receiver if I was displaying the input HDMI to multiple channels. My resolution was to ditch all the proprietary equipment except for my FireTV. The FireTV will display on all the TV's but will not transmit the audio. There are ways around it, but it is not worth it. All my TV's are smart and we can get anything anywhere un-synchronized. If I play something recorded with MP it plays great everywhere. I have a feeling you are experiencing the same thing. According to a friend all providers are clamping down.

All that said, you may need to unplug the component, go back to HDMI, make sure there is not any distribution and see if MP will display the channel and then see if it will record. If yes plug in your other stuff and see if it goes away. If it does you are fighting copy-protection and that is a battle not played on MP.

I hope some of this helps you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom