HD recording quality compared to WMC (1 Viewer)

dmehling

October 2, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I am currently a user of WMC 7, and I am thinking of switching to MP. However, I am very comfortable with WMC and I want to make sure that everything I am accustomed to doing can be done with MP. First, what is the quality of the HD recording? I record programs in either 720p or 1080i through my Hauppage ATSC tuner and I am very pleased with the quality. Is it the same on MP? Also, what kind of format is used? I believe that recordings are saved as TS files, but isn't that just a container?

Another related question is concerned with the ability of MP to record two programs simultaneously on a single tuner. How is this done, since WMC cannot do that? Does this have any impact on the quality of the recording versus recording only one program?

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    For USA OTA ATSC MePo tv server saves the raw data received by the tuner card. The actual BW quality and disk file size varies with the network and sub-channels. In my area CBS (KPIX) is about 8.5 GB/hour 17 mbps 1080i, ABC (KGO) is about 3.5 GB/hour 6.6 mbps 720p.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome dmehling! :)

I am currently a user of WMC 7, and I am thinking of switching to MP. However, I am very comfortable with WMC and I want to make sure that everything I am accustomed to doing can be done with MP.
    Naturally! :)

First, what is the quality of the HD recording? I record programs in either 720p or 1080i through my Hauppage ATSC tuner and I am very pleased with the quality. Is it the same on MP?
    As Ron has said: MP records the raw data received by the tuner. That's exactly the same as WMC. If the channel broadcasts 720p then you'll get 720p recordings; if it broadcasts 1080i then you'll get 1080i recordings.

Also, what kind of format is used? I believe that recordings are saved as TS files, but isn't that just a container?
    TS is indeed the file format/extension, and yes that is a container.
    MP doesn't change the format of the video or audio. So, if the original broadcast was MPEG 2 video with AC3/Dolby audio then that's what you'll get in the TS file.

Another related question is concerned with the ability of MP to record two programs simultaneously on a single tuner. How is this done, since WMC cannot do that?
    MP is just smarter than WMC! ;) :p
    More seriously...
    This is a capability of ATSC (over the air digital) and clear QAM cable tuners. It is not possible with analog tuners (some people still use them for analog cable channels), capture inputs (some people use them to connect satellite or cable set top boxes), or CableCARD tuners.
    WMC simply doesn't utilise the full capabilities of ATSC and clear QAM tuner. WMC could do it if the Microsoft programmers had put in some effort. You'll have to ask Microsoft why they didn't support the feature!

Does this have any impact on the quality of the recording versus recording only one program?
    Absolutely zero impact.

Regards,
    mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom