[ATI] HD5550 - problem solved (1 Viewer)

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Guys,

I'm just posting this up in case someone else has the same problem - it may save them 3 hours of pointless messing about. :oops:

Yesterday evening the main HTPC just decided to shut down whilst the TV was playing. "Hmmmm, that's odd" I thought. I restarted it and just got the BSOD on windows startup. Tried again and the Win7 repair screen came into play. Anyway, after 2 hours of entering 'safe mode' and disabling components and reinstalling drivers the problem had still not gone away. There was no pattern to what was happening.

At this point I had the HTPC box out on the living room floor with the lid off and I happened to put my hand near to the graphics card and found it was really pumping out some heat. Got it!! The card is overheating - this explains the odd behaviour. It was then I noticed that the small cooling fan on the heatsink was not turning. I removed the card, removed the cooling fan (held in with three small screws) and cleaned and lubricated it. After putting it all back together it now works fine and as it should do now.

I very nearly binned the card thinking it was faulty. I should have bought a passively cooled card :(

M.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi mate...

One thing to be wary of...lubricating fans.... all this leads to is dust sticking to the oil/grease and causing them to clog up even quicker.

Make sure you have wiped all excess lubricant away (oooer)

J.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Thanks Jay, that thought did cross my mind, however my main thought was...'sod it, I have to do something'. I cannot fit a standard passively cooled card in, so I may do a heath-robinson heat pipe/heatsink job by removing the existing fan and cannabilising an old, non working laptop I have.

Make sure you have wiped all excess lubricant away
    :oops: ...oooh, Mr Gimlet (fnaaar!, fnaaar! )

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom