HDD setup for TV-server on WHS (1 Viewer)

JACOB B

Portal Pro
September 3, 2008
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I want to built a high performance TV-server combined with WHS for media sharing on multiple clients.
I have 3 FireDTV DVB-C tuners, so in theory I could use 6 dedicated HDD for recording and timeshift buffer.
The other extreme is record and timeshift to the WHS pool.
I need to record and watch multiple HDTV channels at the same time, while streaming recorded HD or blue-ray to other clients.

I described my considerations here:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-1-talk-45/tv-server-whs-collection-fixes-workarounds-69731/index9.html

But I am not sure that thread is alive enough, so therefor this thread :)

Any thoughts, whether based on theory or experience, is appreciated :D

Jacob

cry_wolf

Portal Pro
February 26, 2010
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Well, you have a process called demigrator.exe that tries to maintain some sort of balance on your disks in the pool. Might not be the best to try and write HDTV do a disk the same time that demigrator.exe is moving some other files around.

JACOB B

Portal Pro
September 3, 2008
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I ended up bying one WD Green Caviar EADS15 1.5TB for tuner 1, two WD black scorpio 360 Gb for tuner 2 + 3 (less than 3w when running...). Those three HDD will be dedicated and stay outside the WHS pool.
I figured tuner 1 is in use 80 % of the time and will record the most. Movies will be moved manually to the WHS pool to my movie folders anyway.
For timeshiftbuffer, I bought a Kingston travelmate 16Gb USB. However, my tests on my old TV-server were not positive. More testing to be done.
New server is not assembled yet :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom