Hdd temperature too high? (1 Viewer)

testimies

Portal Pro
October 12, 2007
Espoo
Home Country
Finland Finland
Hi

I have Antec fusion V2 case and I have used elastic cords (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article8-page2.html ) to make the hdd silent.

I have placed it over my DVD drive because there isn't room for this kind of setup in the original hdd place. The problem is that there is very little cooling in this place. Only power supply's fan is moving air. Hdd temperature raised from 30 degrees to 45-50 degrees when I mounted my hdd to this new place.

The specs for my hdd said that it's maximum operating temperature is 60 degrees. Is 45-50 degrees OK or should I change hdd's place to somewhere cooler?

Br, Testimies.

BTW hdd is really quiet now..

Marvman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Its ok! my HDD its approx. 42°C warm/hot.

30°C is excelent, but 45 is not the worst.

Maybe you can pipe the heat away with some plates or something similiar.

cooler is in most ways better, so keep this in mind :)

SwingSultan

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    the problem with these rubbermounting sollutions is that the hdd has nothing to exchange heat with. hdds emit most of their heat at their cases sides. usually there should be the metal hdd cage which act as apssive coolers. if you dont have that kind of setup you should use hdd decouplers for 5,25" slots with attached heat sinks and/or place a fan near the hdd to get rid of its heat.

testimies

Portal Pro
    October 12, 2007
    Espoo
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Thanks for answers.

I will let it stay in it's current place and keep eye on temperatures. I don't want to insert extra fan there because of the noice it would produce and for the lack of space. If temperatures gets too high, I might be able to put hdd in a place where there is good air flow but it would require modification to the case..

SwingSultan

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    i would recommend an extra fan like a sharkoon silent eagle 1000. those things are almost inaudiable even at 12v.

i had to experince what happens when a hdd gets too hot and its not funny loosing all your data. in my case i dint loose everything but datablocks have been cross referenced which for example means that some parts game sounds have been cut into my mp3s and so on. in cases where non audio or movie files interchanged the files were just lost. even with the help of really expensive and professional recovery software i had no chance of recovering anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom