HDMI problem (solved) (1 Viewer)

JBecker

Portal Member
February 20, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,
I have just built up a new htpc system with an MSI 785gm-E65 mainboard. Running under Win XP prof SP3, Mediaportal 1.1.0 RC4 and Catalyst video driver 10.5. The system also works as a file server and runs 24/7.

I have connected the htpc to my Sony KDL32W5720 only via hdmi cable. Everything works well (audio and video) as long as I do not switch the TV off. After switching off and on again, I get no picture, the screen is black. After removing the hdmi cable and plugging in again, I sometimes get a picture again, but not always. Now I found out that it helps to make a second connection with an dvi-hdmi adapter cable from the dvi port of the motherboard to an unused hdmi connector on the TV. With this setup I have a working solution when switching the TV off and on. i could live with this as the cable is only ~€5 and I do not mind the second cable.
But with this setup i have a new problem. Now after rebooting the PC, I have no sound on the TV! Looking into the hardware manager, I see that the previously existing 'ATI hdmi' hardware is missing now. The video on the hdmi output still seems to work (as I have a picture on the TV) but no sound.

Does anyone have a clue how this could be solved? Is it a problem in the BIOS or the software drivers or even the TV set? Or possibly a problem connected with the Catalyst? I hav absolutely no idea.

BR,
Jörg.

PS: I had a system running with an Asrock ION330 system before, also using only hdmi and this worked perfectly.

Edit: problem solved:) If I use only the dvi-hdmi cable I get picture and sound also after rebooting and switching the TV off and on again. I am pretty sure that I have tried this before, but nevertheless, now everything is working!

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: HDMI problem

If my memory serves me, installing driver only there is no problem, its if you install the catalyst control centre this happens.

If you do not make any changes there, might be worthwhile rolling back to a restore point prior to CCC install and starting over or send a pm to owlsroost who found this out, he might know a better way.

JBecker

Portal Member
    February 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks Ray,
    but I just solved it.

Sorry, but i have been chasing a solution since days now and I was pretty sure I had tried all different things. But now I found the solution 10 minutes after posting:confused:

BR,
    Jörg.

quake2rambo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 18, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: HDMI problem (solved)

Hi,
    this problem, and similar which has the same reason, has been already solved in the german section.
    The main problem is the ati2evxx.exe used by the "Ati External Event Utility"-Service.
    This service is checking always the connected devices and disables inactive connections.
    There are two ways to prevent this behavior.
    • Disable the "Ati External Event Utility" Service (this is the easiest way)
    • Use a HDMI switch to "simulate" action on your HDMI-port

Regards

JBecker

Portal Member
    February 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    quake2rambo,
    thanks a lot, disabling the "Ati External Event Utility" Service really solved it and this is just a few clicks away!

Regards,
    Jörg.

ToXIc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2009
    Home Country
    @quake2rambo,
    thanks a lot, disabling the "Ati External Event Utility" Service really solved it and this is just a few clicks away!

Regards,
    Jörg.

weird?! cant find this service in win7 x64

ToXIc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2009
    Home Country
    Re: AW: Re: HDMI problem (solved)

@quake2rambo,

Regards,
    Jörg.

weird?! cant find this service in win7 x64

Look for "AMD External Event Utility" - it's the same.

k trying

edit: well crap... i was hoping this would help my problem with the display cutting out while navigating trough MP but it didnt...

sixgun

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 31, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: AW: HDMI problem (solved)

Hi,
    this problem, and similar which has the same reason, has been already solved in the german section.
    The main problem is the ati2evxx.exe used by the "Ati External Event Utility"-Service.
    This service is checking always the connected devices and disables inactive connections.
    There are two ways to prevent this behavior.
    • Disable the "Ati External Event Utility" Service (this is the easiest way)
    • Use a HDMI switch to "simulate" action on your HDMI-port

Regards

A thousand thanks!

I turned off the "Ati External Event Utility" and I can now change my amp to another input (it's an HDMI switching amp) and then go back the the HTPC input and media portal is still there. Previously I had to use UltraVNC to remote in and change the refresh rate back to 25Hz (it's only a 1080i TV).

But, more importantly my 9 month old son can't "break the tv" anymore by playing with the amp input selector!

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom