High Drive Access (1 Viewer)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I get a solid drive activity LED for like 10mn after boot.
    I have a feeling it could be due to my Recorded TV.
    I have much recording on 6TB drive. It's at least 870 files for 2.5TB.
    I had the impression the issue was gone before I re-imported the Recordings in the DB from TV Server Configuration.
    Can I clear the DB from recordings without deleting the recording themselves? That should allow me to test that again.

Are we doing anything fancy on start-up regarding recordings in the DB?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You could for example try changing the recording path. Recordings in database should now show greyed out and the button "delete invalid recordings" should be active. This will allow you to remove all recordings from your database without touching the files.

MePo is scanning this path when it starts but 10 sconds for 870 entries is quite a long time. Do you see the same thing happening if you open the recording folder in Explorer?

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That folder is also quite heavy for explorer to handle, but still that should not justify 10mn of intensive drive access.

Are their ways to cache that stuff? Why is done with those files durring the scan thumbnail generation?

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes, it does ;). You may be falling to the trap of a specific Windows feature, which causes the system to actually read (or rather scan) each multimedia file - something that takes forever, when the files are large like in your case.

Try to change the file view properties of the respective directory properties (and all subdirectories it contains) into "Generic elements" (in German it's Allgemeine Elemente):

Properties.JPG

Last edited:

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Disabling TV Server service and restarted fixed the issue so this is indeed a TV Server problem and a major one if you ask me.

@Developers Is there any configuration changes I could do to fix or workaround this issue.
    Why does TV Server needs to scan my drive for 10/15mn causing the whole system to be rather unresponsive.
    I basically need to wait 10mn after boot up to be able to watch TV without occasional lags.
    Since this is Windows one needs to reboot quite often too :)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    We all have Windows and we all use TV Server - but we don't all have this issue. Therefore I don't think that MePo is to be blamed, other that maybe some settings are unfortunate? It could also be a network issue, although then you should have continuous problems beyond the initial 10 minutes.

What does the log look like?

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hmm I only had such problems because of thumbnail genwration... maybe try to disabke this?!
    Just a dump guess so ;)

Can I disable it from the TV Server configuration?
    Don't we cache them rather than regenerate them whenever the server starts?

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You can disable it somewhere in the configs. It was just a guess, because I had the issue with to many recordings and if to many thumbs failed. ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom