• Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Therefore I don't think that MePo is to be blamed
    Boot with TV Server enabled == issue
    Boot with TV Server disabled == no issue
    I don't need any more proof :)

other that maybe some settings are unfortunate?

That could be but I don't think I have too fancy settings. I'll blame the size of my Recorded TV folder I'm thinking few of us have 3TB worth of recording on a 6TB hard drive. The performance of the drive could also be a factor obviously. I don't recall having such issues when I had two 3TB drive on a RAID 1 configuration but then again RAID 1 has better read performance than a single drive and back then I probably had half as many recordings.

It could also be a network issue, although then you should have continuous problems beyond the initial 10 minutes.

It's a drive access issue on a single sit setup, no remote client connections.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hmm I only had such problems because of thumbnail genwration... maybe try to disabke this?!
    Just a dump guess so ;)

Disabling autocreate thumbs fixed the problem.
    Thumbs are still visible in MP. I'm guessing new recordings won't have them though.

upload_2014-11-20_19-32-23.png

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OK, you did find a bug! :)There should be no file scanning if a thumb already exists, but I have no idea how this has been coded. The information would need to be stored in a database if we want to avoid complete scanning.

One reason why the problem appears to not be common could be that users move recordings that they want to keep to another directory and manage them with MyVideos, MovPic or something else.

I am far from having that many recordings but I think for example of Lehmden, who has several thousands. Yet he never mentioned anything like what you experienced, probably because he mostly does series recordings and manages them with TV Series (I believe).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't need any more proof
    I would, in the form of log files!
    For all we know you might have security software that is monitoring every single thing that TV Server does. This can drastically slow down access to HDDs.

Disabling autocreate thumbs fixed the problem.
    I'd say "worked around", not fixed. ;)

Thumbs are still visible in MP. I'm guessing new recordings won't have them though.
    Correct.

OK, you did find a bug!
    I think that is jumping to conclusions a bit too fast. ;)
    What exactly is the bug?

There should be no file scanning if a thumb already exists
    AFAIK that is false. The thumbnailer always checks if the thumbnail file exists (ie. scans), because it doesn't have a database. If it doesn't scan then how can it know if a thumbnail has been created or not?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @mm1352000 , you're right. I'd thought about the term "bug" later but it was already late and I did not bother to update my posting. It's more a design flaw.

If it doesn't scan then how can it know if a thumbnail has been created or not?

If you cite, then please cite accurately: ;)
    There should be no file scanning if a thumb already exists, but I have no idea how this has been coded. The information would need to be stored in a database if we want to avoid complete scanning.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    All Windows virus scanning features have been deactivated and there isn't any third party virus scanner either.
    I'll try get you that log file later.
    Do I need to repro the issue again or should the running log file be enough?

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Do I need to repro the issue again. A clean log is better. ;)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If thumbnail creation fails for a file, could a 'dummy' thumbnail be created instead, so that the start-up scan doesn't keep trying to create thumbs for unusable files ?
    (Essentially/conceptually the thumbnail 'cache' *is* the database, so I think it should have an 'entry' of some kind for every recorded file (good or bad))

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom