How can I tell if a satellite audio stream is 5.1? (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    so that means it is possible to read that information from the stream somehow without actually decoding it?
    Yes, exactly... at least in some (most?) cases.

For example...

In DVB, the component_descriptor() (ETSI EN 300 468 section 6.2.8) there are stream_content and component_type fields which usually specify this information. For example:
    • SC = 0x6 and CT = 0x5 means surround sound HE-AAC
    • SC = 0x4 means AC-3 or E-AC-3; the MSB of CT indicates AC-3 or E-AC-3; the 3 LSB of CT indicate the channel config (eg. 3 = 2 channel surround encoded, 4 = multi-channel > 2 channels, 5 = multi-channel > 5.1 channels); refer to annex D section D1
    • SC = 0x7 means DTS or DTS HD; the 3 LSB of CT indicate the channel config (eg. 4 = multi-channel > 2 channels); refer to annex G section G3.4
    In the ATSC AC-3_audio_stream_descriptor() (ATSC A/52 annex A section A4.3) there is a num_channels field. According to A/65 this descriptor is mandatory in the PMT.
    In the ATSC E-AC-3_descriptor() (ATSC A/52 annex G section G3.5) there is a number_of_channels field. According to A/65 this descriptor is mandatory in the PMT.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    My current dev versions of TsReader.ax do parse the actual audio stream to extract the audio channel count (so it can generate the mediatype information on the output pin correctly). It also logs the information (and detects changes to channel count during play).

In reality TV audio streams quite often change channel count during ad breaks and between programmes e.g. adverts are usually stereo and the movie might be 5.1

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    @regeszter should we also try to implement this? we can do 2 variables : AudioChannels - for pure channel count (e.g. for AC3 5.1 it should return 6), and AudioChannelsString - real description (e.g. Stereo, Mono, Dual Mono, Stereo surround, 5.1, 7.1 etc)

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    @regeszter should we also try to implement this? we can do 2 variables : AudioChannels - for pure channel count (e.g. for AC3 5.1 it should return 6), and AudioChannelsString - real description (e.g. Stereo, Mono, Dual Mono, Stereo surround, 5.1, 7.1 etc)

Why not? ;)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    should we also try to implement this? we can do 2 variables : AudioChannels - for pure channel count (e.g. for AC3 5.1 it should return 6), and AudioChannelsString - real description (e.g. Stereo, Mono, Dual Mono, Stereo surround, 5.1, 7.1 etc)
    Can I sneak in a request? :)
    It would be cool to be able to show the "type" of audio stream. For example:
    • receiver mix audio description for visually impaired
    • broadcast mix audio description for visually impaired
    • audio for the hard of hearing
    • music and effects
    • dialogue
    • commentary
    • emergency
    • voice-over
    • karaoke
    • etc.
    These details can be retrieved from the descriptors that I mentioned earlier.

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    if Owlsroost already did some parsing in its code, then i think it would be more effective to continue/extend his work in this direction.
    @Owlsroost can we get your current code for TSReader?

Users who are viewing this thread