How do you 'maintain' MePo remotely? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Herring

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have just moved from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and lost my ability to have concurrent remote desktop sessions.

Previously, if I need to maintain MePo (identify a movie, change a setting etc) I could RDP into the non-TV session and make my changes without interrupting any viewing that was happening. Now I no longer have this ability I was wondering how other people do it.

Do you you RDP/VNC into it? Do you close/minimise MePo and do it with a keyboard on your TV? Something else?

Is it possible to somehow access Configuration from another computer? e.g. in a server/client function?

Suggestions appreciated.

Ministerk

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • November 28, 2007
    Uppsala
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    "My" solution on Windows 7 Home premium is to extend the desktop to a non existing screen and use TeamViewer as remote desktop client/server.
    Observe this is for Win7:

1) Right click on the desktop, click 'Screen Resolution'

2) Click 'Detect' on the next screen

3) Click 'Another display not detected' and under the multiple displays option select 'Try to connect anyway on: VGA'

4) Click 'Apply'

5) You can now enable your desktop to be extended as if you have a second screen plugged into your computer.

Connect to the HTPC with TeamViewer and in the client you can choose which screen to output.

I found this solution here: http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/397193-second-screen-without-a-second-screen

Don't know if this work with Win8

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Did you read the different postings at the end of the thread? Depending which version of termsvr.dll you have, you need to revert to a previous one by uninstalling KB2973501and then apply the suggested patch.

perky

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2014
    Home Country
    England England
    I use Remote Utilities, this doesn't 'log in' but just presents a remote display much like VNC (but better). Works for me.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I like using team viewer, it's free and you can use it outside your local network + on your cellphone/tablet. You don't have to mess with the router either.

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I use VNC (payed) for manage my systems from internet using it inside ssh tunnel. My router runs openwrt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom