Tools and other software How do you rip your Blu-rays? (1 Viewer)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm using DVDFab and I used to rip into AVI with external subtitles.
    However I've had issues where subtitles stop working after some time in long running movies.
    I think Istick to AVI such a long time for better compatibility, notably subtitles compatibility in WMC.
    However WMC has become rather irrelevant to me now so I was considering changing my habits.

Which container do you use? Which ripper to you use? Why?
    Does MP supports chapters? Does MKV support chapters?

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi Stéphane, I use AnyDVD HD to copy the movie in .m2ts on my HDD. Why AnyDVD HD, I dont know, it works ! After that I use RipBot264 to compress the movie in MKV.
    This way it saves chapters and subtitles when I encode. And yes MP supports chapters, if I remember well...

I'm here if you need help with Ripbot264.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Been using tsMuxer for Blu-rays for year and i use folder structure. And i use PGS subs (made with easySUP), because those are a lot better looking/quality than srt. ;)
    MP has chapter support, just gotta make sure you drag the playlist in tsMuxer and not the m2ts, or else you'll get the default chapters every 5 minutes.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So I did try PGS on Firefly episodes and Return of the Jedi using DVDFab MKV and both have the same kind of issues. They get cut like shown here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mkv-subtitles-being-cut.128874/
    You guys don't have those issues with your PGS? They sure look good it's a shame they are not working properly.
    Moreover my PGS do not use the black band at the bottom which is a waste of screen space then.
    Single line VobSub for instance end up in the black band and thus don't ruin your movie.
    I guess I'll report that PGS bug on DVDFab forum.

Also I just tested chapters and they work quite nice. Is there a way to name the chapters rather than having just numbers?
    How easy is it to edit embedded metadata in MKVs?

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'd not go with PGS subtitles because of its possible compatibility issues.
    Do you have concrete examples? Are you talking about the same issues I have? Placement and cut?

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    For my ripping process I like the one click, one tool approach. Having one tool for copy, one for compress and one for subtitles is probably too much for me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom