How to build my new movie database? (1 Viewer)

F

fred3650

Hello,

at the moment I'm using MovingPictures but I want to switch to MyFilms. But first I have to create a movie database saved on my server. Also for the future: Media portal 2 with more clients etc.

Which software do you suggest? Is AntMovieCatalog still the best? It doesn't has to be freeware...

Maybe anybody has a solution to export my MovingPictures data into this new database.

Or would it be the best to not use a database, but NFO and JPEG files in each movie folder?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

bwg

Portal Pro
December 25, 2007
Home Country
Or would it be the best to not use a database, but NFO and JPEG files in each movie folder?.

Personally I do this. I use EmberMediaManager to scrape all the data incl. covers, fanart, and trailers (not that there's anything wrong with the scrapers in MyFilms / AMCUpdater). It's very much a personal thing, however I feel that this is a little safer if for some reason the ant catalog gets corrupted and you can't restore from one of your many auto-backups, you can always rebuild entirely from local sources, instead of online scraping (I have a very large collection). It is also useful if you want to be able to update a catalog on a client that is not online. Also, it feels more future-proof; I don't intend to stop using MyFilms, but if things evolve that way (e.g. it does not move to MP2, or if at some point I ended up using different software) at least all the data is there ready to rebuild into a new db with the right scraper.

But I do love the huge scope of functionality in MyFilms, and I hope that is going to make the move to MP2 [any hints on intentions Guzzi? :)]

EDIT: a note on the ANT catalog - when using a setup that has NFO files etc., a catalog still gets built and populated automatically when you use the NFO scraper in AMCUpdater. So you will end up with an ANT catalog regardless.

F

fred3650

Thanks for your information. I have also a very huge movie collection and I am afraid of loosing my database. So I agree that it's more safer (or easier for the scraper) if everything is stored in each folder. I will take a look at Ember Media Manager.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom