How to programm escape function on remote control (1 Viewer)

perky

Portal Pro
January 23, 2014
Home Country
England England
I'm a little disappointed that MP2 cannot use EventGhost as it is so powerful, and actually once you get your head around it relatively easy to configure. I would be surprised if an MP2 plugin is not written for it at some stage. Having said that I've not really looked at IRSS, maybe I should.

andy_328

Portal Pro
November 19, 2014
Home Country
Austria Austria
I just tried IRSS, but there are no templates for TBS card. I also guess that there is no third party tool do use this remote control. Because the redeye controller is implemented on the pci-card. So I dont belive there will be another way, instead of the TBS tool, right?

thanks

perky

Portal Pro
January 23, 2014
Home Country
England England
Wrong I think. I believe both IRSS and EventGhost can 'learn' the patterns that each button sends, so in theory you can use any remote and map them to whatever you like in MP. There are standards that many remotes follow for IR, but even non-standard ones could work. Look for learn mode documentation.[DOUBLEPOST=1420307131][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, you will need a USB IR receiver which you may not have. Plenty on eBay though.

Last edited:

andy_328

Portal Pro
November 19, 2014
Home Country
Austria Austria
No dont have or need any usb, but honestly it would be the simple way, as I guess there is a lot of work to have a full functional remote control.
I will have a look on the documentantion, but still doubts how something can grab these signals which are on the PCI card.)
ok will see.

thanks

perky

Portal Pro
January 23, 2014
Home Country
England England
The remote control just sends IR pulses (on and off), currently you have IR receiver circuitry in the PCI card (the thing you actually plug into that by the way is literally just an IR phototransistor or diode).

What you can do instead is use a separate USB receiver to receive those pulses, and an application like EventGhost or IRSS can then see the pulses, decode them, and map the received codes to actions in MP. MP can then control the tuner card via PCI as it needs to. I am using a TBS6285 quad tuner with an Inteset remote control with EventGhost - it works well (before that I had a VideoMate E750 card which came with its own remote control, but again I used EventGhost with another remote to control it).

It's really not that difficult to set up, it's not a lot of work in reality - just follow the steps in my previous post (I've not used IRSS but probably similar). Get yourself a USB receiver to start with though, something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Exter..._Remote_Controls_Pointers&hash=item4cf74cfa07
Note: IrDA receivers almost certainly won't work, they are designed for much high data rates to the IrDA specification. You need CIR (commercial infra-red) types, ones that either come free with a remote controller, or sold separately quoted as working with a remote contoller. These use the RC6 protocol which most remotes use. Also don't buy 'repeaters', they usually simply use USB for power.

If you're looking for a backlit learning multifunction remote to use Inteset do a couple of nice models (I've got the cheaper INT413 which is quite nice but needs to be aimed carefully at the receiver, apparently the INT422 is much better. Best to use lithium batteries with those too as they a fully backlit, great when viewing in the dark though):
http://shop.inteset.com/remotes-receivers
Available on eBay, although the INT422 is currently out of stock until Feb.
Mark.

Last edited:

andy_328

Portal Pro
November 19, 2014
Home Country
Austria Austria
Ok I see, thas what I mean, I would need an usb reciever to programm these signals with EventGhost or IRSS. The signal on the PCI card isn't the right one for that. As I am having a lot of controllers now, I dont wanna go take another one..actually one in all would be nice. So it would be better to get a complet set of usb reciever and control to avoid again a lot of work.

I am using this tbs for now, and actually it works fine, but for sure I cant use all buttons and functions.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So it would be better to get a complete set of usb receiver and remote control to avoid again a lot of work.
    I have a TBS 6284 card, but I do not use the remote control that was supplied with it. Instead I use a true Windows Media Center remote control and matching USB IR receiver that was provided with my HTPC.

To be honest, I think that you would find life a lot simpler if you purchased a WMC remote plus IR receiver. It should mostly work straight away, with no need for EventGhost. But beware: there is a class of WMC remote control that is described as "WMC compatible", but which does not transmit WMC RC6 IR protocol; the Ortek VRC-1100 is one of these. They "sort of" work, but are not without problems, so I would recommend avoiding them. (The Ortek is sold under other brand names, but they all look the same.)

I would recommend buying a WMC remote control and IR receiver that states that it uses "Microsoft RC6 protocol". In MP, you use the "MCE" tab in the remote control section of "MP Config" to enable it.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I too try to stay away from Event Ghost and similar software as much as I can. It's often just an extra level of complexity that should not be needed.

Please note also that we are currently working on an improved Human Interface Device (HID) support that could help in your case.
    In fact it should provide much better out-of-the-box support for a lot of remotes such as yours.

This new feature should be ready for 1.11 but you can already test it yourself.

See:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/index.php?threads/128941/

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So it would be better to get a complete set of usb receiver and remote control to avoid again a lot of work.
    This shop stocks various WMC remote controls and IR receivers:

http://www.cohaus-berlin.de/shop/

Note: I have never purchased anything from them, so I cannot comment on their reliability or quality of service.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

andy_328

Portal Pro
    November 19, 2014
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Thanks to all, for your suggestions,

@Stéphane Lenclud
    bevore I gonna install this update, are you sure that such remote as I am having, does work with this update? I mean without lunching any tool of TBS?
    Does this update read these signal trough the PCI card?

I know that is a beta, I just wanna avoid to install again more stuff, as I actually don't need, and dont wanna destroy the MP, as I was a long work til everthing is working fine..)

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom