[TV] Include Timeshift Buffer in recording (1 Viewer)

omriamos

Portal Pro
May 21, 2008
Home Country
Israel Israel
What made you think MediaPortal would record from the timeshift buffer like that?
The fact that I saw it, live, on my TV.
The expected behavior according to the common sense is that when I click 'record' it will record what is currently being displayed on the screen.

What do you think we could do to make it clearer that the buffer is not being recorded?
We support manual recording while timeshifting. Do you expect us to warn that the timeshift buffer is not being recorded when starting a manual recording while timeshifting... even though we don't support recording from the buffer in the first place?
Of course.
I had no reason to think that the timeshifting data is not being recorded. Why would I ?
I shifted 5mins back, pressed 'record', and watched it again while the recording was running.
It's a common sense to expect that MP will record the stream that it's currently displaying to the monitor - I had no reason to think otherwise.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The expected behavior according to the common sense is that when I click 'record' it will record what is currently being displayed on the screen.
    Sorry, MP doesn't work like that... and as I said, I don't know any other software or STB that does that either. That being the case, there is a lot of software and STBs out there that don't follow your "common sense" approach.

I had no reason to think that the timeshifting data is not being recorded. Why would I ?
    Not sure how long you've been using MP, but given that your forum account was created in 2008 I guess you're not completely new to it. So, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect you to know that MP does not support recording from the buffer, if only from having tried and failed previously. If we did support such a feature you can be sure we'd advertise it. In the meantime I honestly think it is a bit unreasonable to expect us to give a warning.

CanadianEh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I know SageTV used to handle "recording including the buffered time", but they handled live tv differently (I think). SageTV would open a new file whenever a new program started, based off the guide data for thew currently watched channel. It is a feature I do miss, I have to admit.

omriamos

Portal Pro
    May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    I honestly don't understand how this feature could just get ignored for so many years...
    It's a pretty basic feature for LiveTV management IMHO.

1. You watch LiveTV.
    2. You see something important that you want to record, but obviously you missed the beginning of it.
    3. You say to yourself "thank god for timeshift!" and go back 5 minutes.
    4. You hit 'Record' when the thing you want to record starts "again".
    5. Great success! (*)

* not in reality :(

In reality:
    4. You hit 'Record'
    5. You watch the recorded program, and find out that it includes a TV stream that is completely different then you one you were watching.....
    6. Epic fail.

--------

I don't "care" about the technical issues, I'm talking about this from the point of view of the common non-technical user.
    He doesn't understand what "timeshifting buffer" is, he just knows that he can "rewind" and then "record".

It is technically totally possible in the GUI to 'rewind' and then 'record'.

IF THE SOFTWARE DOES NOT ALLOW THIS - THEN IT SHOULDN'T, WELL, ALLOW THIS. TECHNICALLY.
    IMHO.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't "care" about the technical issues, I'm talking about this from the point of view of the common non-technical user.
    If you don't care about the technical issues then you won't understand the difficulty for people like me that get asked to add such features.

IF THE SOFTWARE DOES NOT ALLOW THIS - THEN IT SHOULDN'T, WELL, ALLOW THIS. TECHNICALLY.
    The intention is to enable people to record the live program while timeshifting. In any case I'm outta here. I don't listen to people that shout at me.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Great "customer" support :)
    great, a request for "customer" support that shouts at the guys looking into your problem, that do this on their spare time, unpaid, just because they like doing that. Most people do something in their spare time where they are respected and if they are not, they do something else. You are no customer and mm and the rest of the team are not your supporters.

So my recommendation to you would be to keep a civil tongue in here. Right now you behave like a little spoilt brat. "I don't care that I will be sick, I want my cookie now".

omriamos

Portal Pro
    May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    I was trying to help you improve the software, and gave you a feedback from the eyes of the regular non-technical user.
    If you don't give a **** about feedback, that's fine too.

p.s.
    Spare me the "you are not customer, we are not getting paid" crap, you have no idea who I am and how much I have contributed to the open-source community.
    The fact is that I have pointed out a UI problem with MP, and the respond I got was very bitter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom