[Question] Installation in a multi-client setup (1 Viewer)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    First of all thank you for this awsome service.

I'm currently running a setup with a dedicated tv-server, and 3 client computers, What would be the best way to install MP-Extender for this setup?

Would it be to install MP server+client on the TV-server and then use that for the MPExtender web-service, and just install the client on the 3 clients?

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    There are two main options:
    • Install the MPExtended Service (both Client and Server) and WebMediaPortal on the server PC. This requires that you copy the database and thumbnails from the clients to the server, but allows you to use WebMediaPortal even when the clients are turned off.
    • Do a server installation of the Service on the server PC and a client installation of the Service on all client PCs. You can then install WebMediaPortal on the server and let it connect to one of the clients. This requires the client to be turned on to use the media parts of WebMediaPortal (movies, music, tv shows).

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I have the same setup, dedicated TV Server on a WHS2011 machine and several clients; also portable ones, so I'd like to be able to access all of my media and live TV via WMP when all local clients are switched off.

First, I just did a server setup of MPExtended (thanks for bypassing the nlog issue so far, works for me now!) and WMP IIS Edition. Everything works fine so far; just that I can only access live TV.
    Audio and Video folders are stored on the server also, I also use My TV-Series addon on clients to manage TV series.

As I understand your previous answer, Oxan, I'd have to copy database folders from clients to server.
    Can you help me a bit and specify, which folders should be copied, as I'm not yet successful.

(Regarding issue #137, do you still need logfile contributions from WHS2011 installations?)

And a final question: Why do older files in my Recordings directory not show up in the Web interface?
    Thanks a lot!

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    You need to copy your database and thumbs folders from c:\programdata\team mediaportal\mediaportal on your client to your server.

Offcourse you'll need to install Mediaportal client with the plugins first.

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Offcourse you'll need to install Mediaportal client with the plugins first.

Thank you.
    So I'll have to install the standard MP Client software on my server, not just copy its databases, right? The TV-Server will continue working normally for the Client PC's, I suppose?

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just copying the databases and thumbs should be enough, MPExtended doesn't use the Mediaportal client. You'll have to install the client service on the server too, though.

And a final question: Why do older files in my Recordings directory not show up in the Web interface?
    Thanks a lot!
    That's an MP issue. We just get the list of recordings from the TV Server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom