irritating issue with HDMI audio (1 Viewer)

tmacca

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 24, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Perfect, exactly what I was looking for.

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the tool. But for me it doesn't change anything. It seems to work fine, changing the icons color and all that. But after I stop a dts movie the amp will stay in dts mode although the icon went to green....

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Thanks for the tool. But for me it doesn't change anything. It seems to work fine, changing the icons color and all that. But after I stop a dts movie the amp will stay in dts mode although the icon went to green....
    And what happens when a system sound is played after that?

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Then the amp will go in stereo mode. The next system sound will then be audible.
    It is not a big thing.... I won't run the tool, especially because I just noticed that it might interfere with standby.

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Then the amp will go in stereo mode. The next system sound will then be audible.
    Well then it works as intended. The purpose of the tool is to prevent the AVR to go into "standby mode" on the designated digital input. In your case (or in anyone's case maybe, I haven't had the chance to test this myself) the AVR keeps its last state that was active, apparently.

I won't run the tool, especially because I just noticed that it might interfere with standby.
    You mean standby of Windows Energy Management or of MediaPortal? It shouldn't interfere with the latter. And the former shouldn't matter, unless you don't have a "true" HTPC setup.

Last edited:

tmacca

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 24, 2008
    Home Country
    although this app seems to be the answer to the problem, it looks like it may have an issue holding the silent stream open. On first boot, everything works as expected (windows startup sound plays)
    Into Mediaportal, I can see the stream held open on my amp, 'MePo clicks' work as expected
    Play a movie, the audio works as expected and when it finishes, re-opens the silent stream
    However, if I exit MP, reopen it, and exit again, the icon in the taskbar stays red and wont go back to green unless I exit the app or reboot the machine

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well then it works as intended. The purpose of the tool is to prevent the AVR to go into "standby mode" on the designated digital input. In your case (or in anyone's case maybe, I haven't had the chance to test this myself) the AVR keeps its last state that was active, apparently.

Ok. Apparently I looked for a solution to a problem I do not have. My htpc and amp work as you describe it. Without the tool...

I won't run the tool, especially because I just noticed that it might interfere with standby.
    You mean standby of Windows Energy Management or of MediaPortal? It shouldn't interfere with the latter. And the former shouldn't matter, unless you don't have a "true" HTPC setup.
    Windows Energy Management. My sys didn't go to sleep all afternoon. Powercfg /requests showed something about the sound card being busy (obviously). Uninstall of the tool, sleep well. I don't know if it was the tool but as mentioned above I don't need it so I don't care...

Last edited:

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Ok. Apparently I looked for a solution to a problem I do not have. My htpc and amp work as you describe it. Without the tool...
    Oh, yes, I re-read your first post in this thread again. Your problem is definitely not the same as the OP's one ;). The issue is, that with some combinations of Audio Source and AVRs, the AVR will go into a 'standby mode' on the respective digital input, when no sound is played. And then, whenever a sound is played, like a short UI sound from MePo or windows, it will be cut off at the beginning, or not played at all, because once the playback of that sound starts, the AVR first has to initialize the decoding and playback of that input.

Your actual problem is imho no problem at all. Why do you want it changed? Your AVR simply keeps its last state on that digital input when no sound is played, there should be no disadvantages to that.

Last edited:

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for explanation Spooky. Your right, it is no problem. It's just that the amp is doing this clicking when first navigating in the menu after stopping a movie...
    I was in the mood to test if I can get rid of that :) boys and their toys...

MarcD2K12

Portal Member
    July 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Hi, i'm the creator of AVR Audio Guard :) I noticed quite a lot of new hits over the weekend and had to wait till Google Analytics updated to find out where they came from, and it was here!

@gibman - Thanks for the referral!

@tmacca - I will look into that bug. I haven't experienced the problem myself, but it could be something specific to MediaPortal so I'll install it and see if I can replicate the issue you're seeing. When you say you exit, reopen, exit the program, do you mean it happens if you do it quickly, or no matter how long between actions, and can you fix it by clicking Stop/Resume from the program menu?

@Luca Brasi - I was aware that audio programs can have an effect on a PC going into Standby/Sleep/Hibernate etc, but I tested all of these on my own computer and it did not interfere, but thanks for letting me know that it affected you. It's possible to run a powercfg command (powercfg -requestsoverride process "AVR Audio Guard.exe" Display System) to stop the computer from listening to power requests from the application so I will look at either putting that option in the program or in the troubleshooting section of the user guide.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom