Is Mediaportal dying out? (1 Viewer)

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I agree that Mp2 seems to most of us a step back, not a step forward.
    Calling a not finalized product a step back is not right. I agree that MP1 is more mature in some points and you can feel it. But the base concept of MP2 is better, just we would need concentrated development resources for this product to achieve the target faster.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Do you want to move this thread to MP1 Talk?

Yes please, although im not quite sure where as it applies to MP as a whole?

Btw, lets not turn this into a slagging match, the developers behind MP do a fantastic job in keeping the project going and are always on tap for advice (and lets not forget, theyre doing all this on their own time and nobody is even asked to pay a penny towards the software if you dont want to). The thread was more an observation as to why things seemed a bit quieter lately.

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There's no way to see live tv from tv-server without passing through plex or emby.
    ???
    Works perfect here without any of those "vehicles". And with aMPdroid you have full access via your smartphone/tablet to tv, series, videos, music etc.
    Maybe in the last years has been a little bit static
    Seems to be true - but isn´t ;) Devs have just solved the problems with playing DVB-T2 HD (Germany) with HEVC/H.265 support giving you full HD via DVB-T2 HD. Also there will be madVR support in the next pre-release - so still great things are happening ;)

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Would be nice if Emby can be used with MP1 as central database, not like the previous Emby add-on for MP, but in the same way as in KODI where it is in full control of TV Series, Movies and Music. A truly integrated solution. Sorry MP but Emby is a superior central database solution, it just seriously lacks MP1 integration.

Having the same Emby support for MP1 as as used in KODI really makes MovingPictures MP TV-Series obsolete.

Central database between (the king) MP and KODI or what ever you use is really a giant step forward for the fully connected and integrated home.

I'm writing this whilst at 36.000 feet above the UK flying back home from Dubai to the USA. Whilst I'm writing this I'm also watching a movie on my tablet using KODI, and streaming from my Emby server at home using my own VPN connection into my home network.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just because sdf's needs and opinions are different to yours does not make him wrong.
    Of course not, but he said that "for most users" his opinions are fact and that simply is wrong. There are users who don't like MP2 and prefer not centralized media library, this is the MP1/Kodi approach. And then there are users who don't like MP1 and prefer centralized media library, this is the MP2/Plex/Emby approach. In general every newer HTPC software appearing has a centralized server only old programs like MP1 and Kodi (the most "mature" ones of all HTPC programs still alive) are missing this. If you look at the download stats the first group is loosing users where the second group is gaining users. And if you count the many users who are using Kodi only as a client for Plex/Emby to the second group (imho you need to do so) it is indeed the much bigger group.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    By the way, if there were a MP1 plugin to use the MP2 server, similar to (still?) existing plugin for using Plex, most of those discussions won't be existing. Additionally fix the nasty issues in TV Client Plugin not only accessing TV server but in some cases the TV database directly (afaik this is needed for TVE3.5 nevertheless). This way MP1 could get all benefits from MP2 server without loosing it's identity at all.

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If there weren't MP2 I would have leave the MP community a long time ago.

Nothing wrong with that, I am really looking forward to seeing all this new functions - but when is it finally coming?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    but when is it finally coming?
    It's "finally" :confused: there since nearly two years now. I'm using it "productive" ever since. And I have huge collection of media... :cool:

At the moment we are working heavy on V2.1. We are in a good hope we can release V2.1 (name is not completely clear today) at the end of this year (but no promises made)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom