Is Mediaportal dying out? (2 Viewers)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The point of it was to ask a simple question if the project was dropping off, and if so why.
    I think the reason why there are fewer posts this year compared to last (subjective -- I don't have statistics) is that the free upgrade period for Windows 7/8 to 10 has now expired. Many people wanted the free upgrade, and were prepared to give up WMC in order to get the free upgrade. But what to use then as a media center? Some came to MP; others no doubt went elsewhere. But the rush to a different media center has now passed, and so the volume of traffic on this site has returned to "normal" levels.

So TV is an important function for me ... On the other hand media presentation and metadata are nice to have and makes the system looks better, but that is not an important thing for me.
    I agree -- function before form (appearance). Personally, I cannot see the point of fan art and fancy backgrounds, and I even have thumbnails turned off (what is the point of them?). And yet partially played radio recordings in the "Videos" section do not retain their resume point, and DVR-MS radio recordings (from Vista WMC) do not retain their resume point anywhere within MP. :(

Function before form, please! :)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Chimen

Portal Pro
    July 11, 2005
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    For me the whole HTPC-concept is dying out.
    I used both Windows Media Center and Media Portal a lot from 2005 and forward.
    But in the last couple of years I don't need to use it much anymore.
    The reason is that there is so much content to watch on Netflix, HBO and other online services. My Apple-TV works fine for that.
    I sure miss the tweaking of MP.
    The single most important reason though is that I can't use the TV-server anymore.
    My DVB-C TV-provider here in Sweden, ComHem, use CI+ with pairing that makes it impossible for me to have a working TV-solution in MediaPortal.
    In my previous apartment my only option was IPTV that was also impossible to use in MP.

I allways thought that the TV-part of MediaPortal was the most exciting part!

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    For me the whole HTPC-concept is dying out.
    I used both Windows Media Center and Media Portal a lot from 2005 and forward.
    But in the last couple of years I don't need to use it much anymore.
    The reason is that there is so much content to watch on Netflix, HBO and other online services. My Apple-TV works fine for that.
    I sure miss the tweaking of MP.
    The single most important reason though is that I can't use the TV-server anymore.
    My DVB-C TV-provider here in Sweden, ComHem, use CI+ with pairing that makes it impossible for me to have a working TV-solution in MediaPortal.
    In my previous apartment my only option was IPTV that was also impossible to use in MP.

I allways thought that the TV-part of MediaPortal was the most exciting part!
    Iptv works fine for me.

Ministerk

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • November 28, 2007
    Uppsala
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Iptv works fine for me.

Well IPTV provided by ALL IPTV services by all Swedish TV-providers are encrypted and is decrypted in set top boxes without smart cards. Hence it does not work with mp (you can't even use m*api to decrypt).

EDIT: And I have to say @Chimen has a valid point in his statement that HTPC is dying. I don't think we will replace the current HTPC with a new one. We also use Apple TV4 and it's working great!

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    And I have to say @Chimen has a valid point in his statement that HTPC is dying.
    I tend to agree. The "digital fireplace" where families would gather in the evening is mostly abandoned by the young generation. Music is also consumed online - Spotify is simple and efficient.

Myself I would also move to online media sources, if only my DSL connection was fast enough. However, given my 10 MBit/s and no cable either, I am bound to satellite reception. In this environment MePo is a good solution.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    From my perspective, with Sky releasing the Sky Q, which, from what I can tell, does something similar to MediaPortal, but with far less flexibility / configurability etc, the big boys seem to think that there is a market for such a system. However, MediaPortal has been capable of this for 10+ years

The way I see it, is that I will be sticking with an HTPC until a commercial system works as well to achieve my customised setup - which will be a good few years yet - if ever.

Keep up the good work Team MediaPortal!

The Doctor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I am still using MP as the main source for TV-dvbs and movies. But on demand streaming like Netflix and Spotify aren't well supported by MP. Yes I know we have Onlinevideos as the plugin to reach out to all kind of online sources. But hè, would you trust your wife or children with MP if something doesn't work?

It's a great platform, MP, but it is not something everyone can use. A simple example is Netflix , and sattelite tv. I have three cards all with duo LNB and c+ modules. To set this up you need to dig deep into wiki and forums to get the front-end working as it should. And if something is changed on the provider side: you need to start over again, tuning a single transponder, changing a single setting like rollover, nothing is automated on the dvbs-site, you can't even re-scan a sattelite or package and have all your channels updated the way it should. It just can't. It is all manual. That's ok to me, because I like that and I know how to, but my wife, friends, parents, children. They'll have no clue if they are left over the weekend with MP, if am traveling for bussines, and something goes wrong.

It's a hobby platform.

So yes MP is great . But it will die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom