Is MP destined to end like MeediOS? (1 Viewer)

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
January 7, 2007
Ulm
Home Country
Germany Germany
For me, kodi has only one benefit: the fluid ui with the really amazing skins. But nevertheless mp is much better and intuitive to use. At least with a remote. Also, as lehmden said, the picture quality is far better in MP.

But I think that MP is only for windows and therefore uses the net framework is not only a bad point. The .net framework is for a developer such a good platform to use. It's easy to change things and it's good documented. I don't know much about plugin development in Kodi, but I think is harder to get started there with your own customizations.

Other users put maybe more value in a fluid ui, so they are disappointed with MP. I put more value in live TV, so I'm disappointed with kodi.

everyone should decide for himself which software he uses. Both has some benefits and some cons. MP has for me more benefits than kodi. So I use MP :)

Just my 2 cents from me. BTW: I used and tested both. MP and kodi (also dsplayer branch) on Linux and windows.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    low powered small noiseless machine nowadays which runs MP
    Maybe, but for what prize? The sticks I'm talking about are at 40$ or similar, not 200++$. Windows needs way to much power and for this way too expensive devices to operate properly. And I don't see this will change in near future... The first results with Windows on Raspberry Pi2 are more than disappointing. No GUI (not even a shell) possible due to lack of power. Windows10 simply is not able to draw a mouse pointer to the screen. And if I see my Pi running a full blown Linux desktop with even Gimp on it, operating without issues and compared to the way Windows is reacting on the Pi, I really doubt Win will ever make it onto those devices...

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi.
    low powered small noiseless machine nowadays which runs MP
    Maybe, but for what prize? The sticks I'm talking about are at 40$ or similar, not 200++$. Windows needs way to much power and for this way too expensive devices to operate properly. And I don't see this will change in near future... The first results with Windows on Raspberry Pi2 are more than disappointing. No GUI (not even a shell) possible due to lack of power. Windows10 simply is not able to draw a mouse pointer to the screen. And if I see my Pi running a full blown Linux desktop with even Gimp on it, operating without issues and compared to the way Windows is reacting on the Pi, I really doubt Win will ever make it onto those devices...

$40 vs $100 is neither here nor there for people who want image quality though and that will never change, i will never change to kodi purely for the fact that they don't allow custom codecs and therefore image quality will never be as good as mediaportal. Also their movie and show scraping is a pain in the ass especially true if you try to configure it via the gui, moving pictures it is not.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The first results with Windows on Raspberry Pi2 are more than disappointing. No GUI (not even a shell) possible due to lack of power. Windows10 simply is not able to draw a mouse pointer to the screen.
    That's not correct. It is what it is by design. You don't give a full-blown OS away for free without limiting it to specific usage.

...compared to the way Windows is reacting on the Pi, I really doubt Win will ever make it onto those devices...
    Have you actually installed it on one of your Raspis? Have you written your own app using the latest Visual Studi 2015 package? Have you read the article published by c't (13/15, page 148) days ago where they report very interesting results?

Apparently you were expecting to see a system like Linux on Raspi, however, the Win10 IoT concept is completely different.

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
    January 7, 2007
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    $40 vs $100 is neither here nor there for people who want image quality though and that will never change, i will never change to kodi purely for the fact that they don't allow custom codecs and therefore image quality will never be as good as mediaportal. Also their movie and show scraping is a pain in the ass especially true if you try to configure it via the gui, moving pictures it is not.
    Kodi allows custom codecs. Have a look for the dsplayer branch. But this branch doesn't work properly right now with live TV. And of course this branch will never be merged into the official repo. As it is windows only code. Also it's only maintained by one person right now. So this will be some day a dead end...

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    i will never change to kodi purely for the fact that they don't allow custom codecs and therefore image quality will never be as good as mediaportal.
    This is not (entirely) true.. You can use DirectShow Player Builds on Windows and for Linux the codecs are no issue at all. KOdi on Linux is (nearly) equal to MP on Windows as it comes to PQ. But as those DS builds are no "official ones" they are not as stable as the regular builds. By the way, on Windows Kodi is much less stable than MP... So Windows is the worst OS for Kodi you can think of. OSMC or a stock linux distribution are much better as the Windows version ever will be...
    ave you actually installed it on one of your Raspis?
    Yes, I had. That's why I know it even can't draw a mouse pointer and there is no shell to access. You can not do anything on the Pi itself, not even launch a program. You only can run something from an other Windows machine on it.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    ave you actually installed it on one of your Raspis?
    Yes, I had. That's why I know it even can't draw a mouse pointer and there is no shell to access. You can not do anything on the Pi itself, not even launch a program. You only can run something from an other Windows machine on it.
    Excuse my English - but this is simply bullshit ;)
    Of course there is no shell, that's the IoT concept of Win 10. But you certainly can run any app you want on it - you just need to write it... Fire up your VS 2015, add some libraries and write a little "Hello World", which will then run on the Raspi. I am quite confident that the MediaPortal client part can be migrated to become a Raspi application once the .Net core libraries for it will be available.

BTW.
    You don't give a full-blown OS away for free
    Every Linus Distribution is for free and even the full blown Win 8.1 with Bing is free. So this is no argument at all.
    Again, what are you telling me? That you don't like the Microsoft business model? Nobody is forced to buy from them or even use their systems...

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    But you certainly can run any app you want on it
    You can not launch the app from the PI itself. You must launch it from VS2015 (or similar). Then and only then it can be executed on the pi. To start something on the PI you need a different Windows machine to launch it as there is no possibility that an user can interact with Win10 on the Pi directly.. No shell, no desktop, no start menu, nothing. You can write a keyboard input and probably a mouse input too. But as long as the GPU is not used at all due to missing hardware drivers you won't have much fun using the mouse as the pointer is not visible most of the times...

Edit:
    Never tried this but I can imagine that it is possible to run an app from "autostart". So maybe you can run a single app on the pi without using a different machine to launch it. But that's all that is possible atm...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom