Is MP destined to end like MeediOS? (1 Viewer)

spachti

Portal Pro
July 27, 2005
Bible Belt
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I don't like this whole Kodi vs MP discussion. It are both different programs. MP has a longer learn cycle for true, but when you are used to it, and totally know how to use and optimize it, I'm sure it will give most people by far a way better experience. But not everyone has time and have fun to put that time into it. And I understand that! That's why I'm always saying; Kodi is for geeks, MP for freaks! :p
Exactely my opinion too.
I mean, just go to an Apple website and start to praise Windows LOL.
I can see the point of starting a discussion here, a lot more potential customers.:cool:

Callumgw

Portal Pro
June 2, 2008
Home Country
Hi guys,
I have been toying with a switch to kodi for a bit, butvto date have stuck with MP. Ive been with MP1 for almost almost 10 years..... so why am i considering a switch?

TV server locked on windows: a couple of years back i seperated client an server and added extra clients. This meant converting linux server to win7. I have regretted the loss of linux server features ever since. PLEASE make a linux version of tv server.

Second is online videos. The family use these and are often upset when the app or channels break. The guys running online videos are great but writing channels is dificult making their workload extremely high. We should make this simpler or figure a way to use kodi codes so we can tap their developer base.

Hope these honest and fair opinions help improve MP.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the feedback Callumgw :)

PLEASE make a linux version of tv server.
    Unfortunately this is easier said than done. I'd love to do it... but I can't see it happening in the foreseeable future, if ever.

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi guys,
    Second is online videos. The family use these and are often upset when the app or channels break. The guys running online videos are great but writing channels is dificult making their workload extremely high. We should make this simpler or figure a way to use kodi codes so we can tap their developer base.

Hope these honest and fair opinions help improve MP.

For online videos there's a team of people writing support for specific sites so the load gets divided among those, this allows for cleanly adding providers or picking up old ones that are no longer maintained as it has to be written in a uniform matter which online video provides.
    Whereas with Kodi every site is a separate project where the code can differ a lot as they lack this kind of setup.

Working with the kodi plugin dev is gonna be hard because of that reason and also because Python code is a whole lot different, best that can be done is use the same approach and migrate regular expressions but that can already be done by them as its all open source.

blub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 1, 2013
    Giessen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MP-TV Server is great. For windows there is only MP and Argus.

For Linux there is VDR and TVHeadend.

All of those are good products of which I prefer MP for windows and vdr for Linux.

If anyone needs MP server under Linux get a decent server which supports VT-D and use ESXi and run a Linux server for what reason you please and another VM with windows for MP TV server.

blub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 1, 2013
    Giessen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No with real VT-D HW and ESXi you can passthrough PCIe cards to certain VMs.

I would have gone that route but ESXi still has problems to raw passthrough HDD so I couldn't run ZFS. madm wouldn't have been an issue folks at OMV forum do it.
    So I had to use VDR instead.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom