Is MP faster in Windows 8? (1 Viewer)

marttoma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2014
    Praha
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Does anybody has experience with MP performance in Windows7 x64 and Windows 8 x64? Which OS the MP is faster and more reliable in?

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Mp itself is the same, booting is way faster in 8. But this comparison depends on way more specific needs of yourself as a user and your system. SO not easy to say what is better...

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    booting is way faster in 8
    Don't think this is OS related. I have a Win7 x64 Haswell system which needs 6 seconds to boot from Power Off to Desktop. My C2Q Working system needs about 45 seconds to boot from Power off to Win 8.1 x64 Start page... With Win7 x64 on the C2Q this time nearly is identical. Both systems have an identical SSD and the CPU are also on a comparable speed level... So this is a matter of the system itself much more than a matter of OS.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    On my system (where I had compared both OS) Win8 definitely is not faster on boot. So "On the exact same hardware Win 8 is faster." is not true in all cases. If a system is Win8 optimized (name it new, if you like) I believe this is true also I don't have enough testing done myself. The opposite is true for all my systems as they are all older systems. Win8 is not faster on any of them. At least on all where I've tried Win8. This are my own experiences so no one can tell me something different as I simply saw it with my own eyes.

The hardware has a lot more influence than the OS. That's why I told about the other system I build lately (for family) to have a "real live" example how much the hardware is affecting the startup times....

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am sure this is true for your systems and experiences. Still general statements like booting times are not os related are not true. I might have considered that as well when stating win 8 is faster but as the ts' machine looks pretty up-to-date I think my advice for him is still valuable...
    By the way and back to topic: This discussion is a good argument for what I was actually going for in my post. Selecting an OS can not be reduced to 2 or 3 criteria. The whole system and your specific circumstances have to be taken into account.

marttoma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2014
    Praha
    Home Country
    Thank you for views and ideas. I also think there are more aspects and may be I should be more specific. In my case I dont care so much how fast is a boot as I am using S3 mode for MP and this is fast enough:)

My question would be:
    1. MP1 server/client - stability in Win7 / Win8?
    2. MP1 server/client - reliability from user point of view?
    3. MP1 server/client - GUI speed in Win7 / Win8?
    4. MP1 server/client - power scheduler performance in Win7/ Win8?
    5. MP1 server/client - TV performance in Win7 / Win8?
    6. MP1 server/client - skin performace in Win7 / Win8?
    7. MP1 server/client - CPU load differences in Win7 / Win8?
    8. MP1 server/client - RAM utilization differences in Win7 / Win8?

What kind of configuration settings do you recommend to improve MP1 performance for Win7 / Win8?

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok, so let's break it down to your list... In my experience all of those are quite the same in Win 7 and Win 8!
    If you have any reason outside of MP to go with Win 8 then go with Win 8. If not, stick with 7.

What kind of configuration settings do you recommend to improve MP1 performance for Win7 / Win8?

- Only have plugins installed you really need and use. The more plugins are active the more cpu and bandwidth will be used. MP start takes longer and stability will be affected. Same goes for extras like mpextended.
    - Whenever you go with one of these tools think about how it will affect your system and setup. i.e. if you install mpextended for streaming you will need cpu.
    - The more external tools like eventghost and argus are running the more performance and above all stability will be stressed.
    - Whenever a plugin lets you choose when and how often it does something like getting info from the internet or scanning local files set those values reasonable. i.e. delay those processes at start up for as long as it gets but still makes sense for your user behavior. Set the intervals as long as it gets too. You can find settings like that in plugins like TVSeries, World Weather, MPCleaner, .......
    - Compare skins and their settings. Some skins will be harder on your system then others. Eye candy is not always for free. Settings like hovering backgrounds and changing fanart will affect performance.
    - If you want to speed up tv set the timeshift to a ram drive like IMDisk or Softperfect Ram Disk. Be aware that as with all gains in performance this can come with side effects in stability. (But running stable here for years now)
    - Use a reasonable fast and fairly sized SSD
    - Make sure the SSD runs at its designated speed. Check it with tools like AS SSD, Crystal Diskmark or alike. If it runs too slow check if you have it on the right sata port and if you have the right drivers running.
    - Make sure your gpu is not too out dated. Raw performance is not the point here. But technology is changing fast. So to make sure things like deinterlacing, 24p playback and connection to your new display run fine you're better of with some current device. Doesn't matter if its integrated in the cpu or not.
    - If not needed don't run anti virus software on your machine. If you feel the need chose one which runs smoothly on your system and set it to leave MP alone.
    - Make sure your local network and internet access run smoothly. MP relies a lot on internet services and accessing your files in your local network in a speedy way can be crucial.

Last edited:

marttoma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2014
    Praha
    Home Country
    Thanks o lot Luca.

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sure man. If you gain anything with my hints above or get to an conclusion regarding 7 or 8 let us know. Might be of interest for other users as well...

Users who are viewing this thread