Issue with Silicondust tuners (1 Viewer)

vcrpro3

Portal Member
April 7, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have two HD Homerun units connected which in tv server are shown in the device list. When i scan for channels, none are picked up. In Silicondusts own software and in a couple of other media programs, stations are found. What's with that??

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi

I have two HD Homerun units connected...
    Okay... but what model(s)?
    • PRIME
    • CONNECT
    • EXTEND
    ...which in tv server are shown in the device list.
    That at least is a good start. :)

When i scan for channels, none are picked up.
    A screenshot and/or log files would have been really helpful. Without them we have to play a game of 20 questions... :(

Have you configured the "main application" setting in HDHR Setup to be "MediaPortal" before starting?

If you have a PRIME, have you configured TV Server properly before starting?

What type of TV do you receive?
    • digital from an antenna/aerial (ATSC)
    • digital cable, with an HDHR CONNECT or EXTEND (clear QAM)
    • digital cable, with an HDHR PRIME
    What type of scan are you doing?
    • ATSC Digital Terrestrial
    • Clear QAM Cable
    • Digital Cable
    If clear QAM, have you selected "QAM standard" for the "QAM tuning frequencies" setting as recommended?

Are you letting the scan complete, not cancelling part way through? (You should be letting it complete.)

When you say "none are picked up", is it saying "signal locked, no channels found" or "no signal"?

If you run security software - particularly a firewall - have you configured it to allow MediaPortal's TV Server to access your network? (Obviously this is required when you have a network attached tuner like an HDHR.)

What's with that??
    Sorry, I can't answer this unless and until you can provide answers to all the above questions. I simply don't have enough information to enable me to answer.

vcrpro3

Portal Member
    April 7, 2015
    Home Country
    The models are, HD Homerun Dual (Connect), HDHR4-2US
    Signal-ATSC OTA, scan for ATSC Digital terrestial
    On some channels, getting signal locked, no channels found, the rest-no signal..and i let the scan complete
    Firewalls are disabled
    ...hope this attachement is correct
    --- Post updated ---
    Main application setting is set for 'MediaPortal' (had to double check myself)
    --- Post updated ---
    ...and on the scans that result; signal locked, no channel', i do get decent signal quality and level bar indications...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the answers and log files. (y)

TV Server seems to be able to control the tuners but is not receiving the actual stream, and that's why you see the signal quality/strength but TV Server reports no channels found. There are a variety of possible causes for this.

First please try:
    1. Open TV Server Configuration.
    2. Go to the tuner list.
    3. Select the first HDHR tuner.
    4. Click "edit" button.
    5. Change "preferred network provider" to "ATSC".
    6. Click "save" button.
    7. Repeat 4 - 6 for the other 3 HDHR tuners.
    8. Try to scan again.
    Note: normally that preferred network provider setting is best left set as "generic", but I seem to recall that the HDHR may require it to be changed.

If the above doesn't help:
    • the HDHR Setup main application setting may not have taken effect; try a system and HDHR reboot
    • security software may be blocking the stream; double check your firewalls and all other security software
    • other software is using/controlling the tuners; ensure all other software that might use the tuners is fully closed before attempting to scan with TV Server

vcrpro3

Portal Member
    April 7, 2015
    Home Country
    Tried your latest suggestions and again, no luck. If it means anything, OS is Window 10, 64 bit.. I have a B/U SSD with Window 8.1 and MediaPortal on it...seems i'm having a run of bad luck as that drive, when connected refuses to boot. So i now have two problems to try to work around. Thanks for your help!! :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If it means anything, OS is Window 10, 64 bit.
    It means nothing. MediaPortal should work equally well on any version of Windows from Vista onwards. AFAIK even XP can be made to work with a little bit of effort.

So i now have two problems to try to work around.
    If you're technically confident, you could try installing Wireshark to check if the stream from the tuner is making it to the PC. That would enable you to eliminate that possibility.

vcrpro3

Portal Member
    April 7, 2015
    Home Country
    I didn't say so before, but i am using an eval install of JRiver media Center in which the tuners work. Before running MediaPortal, i did go to task manager and turned off all services and processes related to JRiver. The turn off for me with JRiver is that you have to by a new license with every ugraded version....

If it means anything, OS is Window 10, 64 bit.
    It means nothing. MediaPortal should work equally well on any version of Windows from Vista onwards. AFAIK even XP can be made to work with a little bit of effort.

So i now have two problems to try to work around.
    If you're technically confident, you could try installing Wireshark to check if the stream from the tuner is making it to the PC. That would enable you to eliminate that possibility.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I didn't say so before...
    There's no reason I'm aware of that MediaPortal and JMC couldn't both be installed on the same machine. Like I said in my earlier reply, it is definitely important to ensure that any other software which might be using the tuners is fully closed (which includes stopping of services). After closing other software, you may need to restart the MediaPortal TV Server service ("TVService"). Other than that, I can't think of anything else to add. Lots of people successfully use HDHRs with MediaPortal. I'm not sure why you're having trouble.

vcrpro3

Portal Member
    April 7, 2015
    Home Country
    Okay, after several installs..uninstalls, tuners are locking channels..Took installing in compatability mode for Win 7 to work (on Win 10 PC). I'm still without problems though..When i click on the TV buttom on the main app homescreen, a window to the left displays options. When i scroll over to it, it closes. In going over the setup procedures for the umpteenth time, one has to set up the TV client in the main program configuration. When i go to the TV setup-general tab, the options for TV client setting are not there (unless this is handled differently now from the guide i'm following...** In the TV setting, i am getting connected to server confirmation)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Took installing in compatability mode for Win 7 to work (on Win 10 PC).
    It hasn't been necessary for other people to use compatibility mode. I'd be very wary, because I have no idea what other possible negative side-effects compatibility mode could have. Not recommended... at all (!!!).

When i click on the TV buttom on the main app homescreen, a window to the left displays options. When i scroll over to it, it closes.
    Asked and answered many times. In short, there are at least three possible solutions:
    1. Use classic home screen instead of basic home screen. Home screen can be toggled with the green/home button on a remote, or the H key on a keyboard. You can also configure your preferred starting home screen in MP Configuration -> GUI section. All this info is given in the wiki (manual) -->here<--.
    2. Use a keyboard or remote control instead of a mouse.
    3. If you insist on using a mouse, use a different skin that has better mouse support. Plenty of skin options are available.
    Please remember to use the forum search function. It will get you to a solution faster, and saves us having to repeat answers (...which honestly gets a bit frustrating at times ;) ).

In going over the setup procedures for the umpteenth time, one has to set up the TV client in the main program configuration. When i go to the TV setup-general tab, the options for TV client setting are not there...
    You're looking in the wrong place so it's no wonder you can't find the settings.

You haven't actually said this, but since you've posted in this section of the forum (which is dedicated to MediaPortal 1), I hope it's reasonable to assume you're using MediaPortal 1.x and not MediaPortal 2 (...which is completely different). If I'm right (ie. you are in fact using MP 1.x), you'll find the settings you're looking for in MediaPortal Configuration -> TV section as the "setup procedures" say. From what you've said, you're currently looking in TV Server Configuration. TV Server Configuration is not MediaPortal Configuration (!).

...(unless this is handled differently now from the guide i'm following...
    Unfortunately you haven't told us which guide you're following. Therefore it's not possible for me to tell you if the guide is out of date, or you're confused, or both, or something else.

In the TV setting, i am getting connected to server confirmation)
    Sorry, I have no idea what you mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom